SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Hope this works - http://www.google.com/maps?q=southpark+mal...lotte,+NC&hl=en

It appears there is still room around the mall to expand, there is surface parking & even with those construction zones - I see some other buildings they could destroy. Also, you can always go up, isn't the mall 2 stories? A 3 story mall isn't too unusual...

Hope this works - http://www.google.com/maps?q=southpark+mal...lotte,+NC&hl=en

It appears there is still room around the mall to expand, there is surface parking & even with those construction zones - I see some other buildings they could destroy.  Also, you can always go up, isn't the mall 2 stories?  A 3 story mall isn't too unusual...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's an old picture though -- Sears is still there, and Nordstrom hasn't even been built in it yet.

That's an old picture though -- Sears is still there, and Nordstrom hasn't even been built in it yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, thanks for the correction. But as long as there are surface lots - what is stopping an expansion, as long as there is demand?

Atlanta's little monster, Lenox, will most likely to continue to mutate into all forms of disgusting guises. And since South Park does still appear to be Charlotte's 'destination' mall as Lenox is to Atlanta - there should still be future interest.

I think after the Dillard's expansion and NM that is all SP will add (sq footage that is). One problem is Land (or the lack thereof) There isn't that much more around the perimeter of the mall. SP will improve itself through attracting higher-end retailers. I don't think size is going to determine the quality of the mall going forward.

Here is a link to some aerial views of SP. You will see what I mean. It is esentially locked in.

http://www.carolinaphoto.com/southpark/southpark.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cool. i like the first picture. i always wanted to know what southpark looked like from hugh mccoll's old office. :D

I the mall has the ability to expand by adding a secondary level. I believe you enter the mall from the parking deck to section of the mall which use to be the food court. This would be a very expensive proposition and probably affect parking spaces, but that would be the only option at expansion.

SouthPark will get no bigger. One of the promises made by Faison and the city to the SouthPark Coalition of Neighborhoods is a cap on how much square footage the mall can contain (I don't remember what it is exactly). After Holiday Park and Neiman's are completed, it's done.

Edited by Miesian Corners

I think it would be crazy if they did this, but theoretically, if they wanted more retail space they could convert the underground parking space into mall shops and then build more parking decks around the mall (on the West Plaza side and in front of Hecht's).. and they could also add another whole story on top of where the current mall wings sit making what would be a 3rd story enterance to Belk, and Dillard's and a 2nd story enterance to Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus through the mall

I think it would be crazy if they did this, but theoretically, if they wanted more retail space they could convert the underground parking space into mall shops and then build more parking decks around the mall (on the West Plaza side and in front of Hecht's).. and they could also add another whole story on top of where the current mall wings sit making what would be a 3rd story enterance to Belk, and Dillard's and a 2nd story enterance to Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus through the mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah they could do that. It would take a zoning change that would be contentious as the last one.

Really, I can't see it getting substantially bigger than what it is now, at least as a retail center. There is potential over the department stores or parking garages to add office and residential space, but since the department stores own their buildings, Simon would have to secure air rights over them to proceed with any kind of expansion like that and then there's the zoning and parking questions. Oh well.

Still, wouldn't it be cool to add a major office/residential component over the Fairview Road parking deck between Nordstrom and Eckerd? I can see it in my mind's eye and I could see it being a hit. It would compliment the development in front of Dillard's, wouldn't obscure the mall itself and it would make major strides in turning SouthPark into a 24-hour community.

Leave it to the folks at Answers.com to come up with a great synopsis of SouthPark's history.

http://www.answers.com/topic/southpark-mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or rather wikipedia.org http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southpark_Mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I wrote that.. lol :) I'm glad someone corrected me though on there on the part about the Colonial Grocery Stores and cinemas.

Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unit..._shopping_malls I wrote for most of the NC malls

Edited by cantnot

Certainly not a mall whore, but I certainly recall being excited whenever my parents took me to Southpark when I was young. My memory of Southpark is mainly from the 70's to the mid 80's, but being a resident of Rock Hill - I would feel a bit in awe of everything there. By high school in the late 80's, I had at least discovered other places to visit & shop in Charlotte, but those were good memories - & I don't know why, but particularly eating a hot dog at Woolworths.

Yeah I wrote that.. lol :)  I'm glad someone corrected me though on there on the part about the Colonial Grocery Stores and cinemas.

Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unit..._shopping_malls I wrote for most of the NC malls

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You did an excellent job, cantnot. The part about the 'immaculate architecture' at SouthPark was awesome! I can't believe that so many people were hating on the entry on Carolina Circle Mall

Certainly not a mall whore, but I certainly recall being excited whenever my parents took me to Southpark when I was young.  My memory of Southpark is mainly from the 70's to the mid 80's, but being a resident of Rock Hill - I would feel a bit in awe of everything there.  By high school in the late 80's, I had at least discovered other places to visit & shop in Charlotte, but those were good memories - & I don't know why, but particularly eating a hot dog at Woolworths.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's hard to visit a place as big and sparkly as SouthPark and not be affected, especially as a kid. Where I am, we had Tanglewood Mall as the big, sparkly shopping center and memories from there stick with me to this day. Tanglewood had a Woolco, and I still remember a lot from that store, even though it's been out of business for 22 years and I was just south of 8 when it closed.

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah they could do that.  It would take a zoning change that would be contentious as the last one.

Really, I can't see it getting substantially bigger than what it is now, at least as a retail center.  There is potential over the department stores or parking garages to add office and residential space, but since the department stores own their buildings, Simon would have to secure air rights over them to proceed with any kind of expansion like that and then there's the zoning and parking questions.  Oh well.

Still, wouldn't it be cool to add a major office/residential component over the Fairview Road parking deck between Nordstrom and Eckerd?  I can see it in my mind's eye and I could see it being a hit.  It would compliment the development in front of Dillard's, wouldn't obscure the mall itself and it would make major strides in turning SouthPark into a 24-hour community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to see that SR. I am just curious though, do you think they built the deck w/ future development in mind (for example could it support a 8, 10, or perhaps 15 story structure on top) ?I think it would be a serious compliment and be quite successful. :D

I said it before, I'll say it again. SP is done. Any rezoning will be hell to get through city council. While we may see changes here and there (i.e. the little faux train station at the SP main entrance demolished for some higher density office development), we're not going to see any major changes. IMO, politics will not allow it.

Edited by Miesian Corners

I said it before, I'll say it again.  SP is done.  Any rezoning will be hell to get through city council.  While we may see changes here and there (i.e. the little faux train station at the SP main entrance demolished for some higher density office development), we're not going to see any major changes.  IMO, politics wil not allow it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The little faux train station?

http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/RELoo...317703&card=001

yeah i guess it's in those pictures.. that's all across 4400 Sharon Rd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a side note. I hate that traffic light there. :angry: I have drove through at all times of day and night and they always give the people who work there the SAME TIME as the other lights (even at 2 in the morning). C'mon traffic engineers get it together. Geez. :blink: I see Sharon get soooo backed up and for what. Got to hate it.

On a side note. I hate that traffic light there.  :angry: I have drove through at all times of day and night and they always give the people who work there the SAME TIME as the other lights (even at 2 in the morning). C'mon traffic engineers get it together. Geez.  :blink: I see Sharon get soooo backed up and for what. Got to hate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Call CDOT and ask.....sometimes road construction has damaged the ingroun sensory loops and this causes the equal times at all hours (the default setting). They usually don't notice or chose to correct it unless someone calls and complains.