SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still surprised the old Morton's spot hasn't been filled yet. I think this would be a perfect spot for a Houston's restaurant. Some of their locations are connected to malls too.

http://www.hillstone...rants/houstons/

Oh man. At the risk of being called out for my lack of urbanity, I'd love a Houston's in Charlotte. Perfect location, too.

There is an local urban legend that the owners of Harpers and Houstons are friends or something like that and have a gentlemans agreement not to open locations in each other's markets....have no idea if it is true, and Houstons is certainly a step up from Harpers as far as price point.

Oh man. At the risk of being called out for my lack of urbanity, I'd love a Houston's in Charlotte. Perfect location, too.

Everyone loves Houston's and there are Houston's in Manhattan and downtown Boston so hopefully that gives the chain the seal of approval. (**Now called Hillstone in Manhattan so that it won't be a chain subject to NYC requirements to post calorie counts on menus**)

http://charlotte.biz...1/tidbits1.html

Second blurb discusses Taco Mac opening in Piedmont Town Center in May.

WOOHOO!!! Whenever we went to my friends in Hotlanta we always went to Taco Macs for beers (and food) in Virginia Highlands. Can't rememeber for the life of me if the food was good or not but we were always there for the awesome beer selection!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an local urban legend that the owners of Harpers and Houstons are friends or something like that and have a gentlemans agreement not to open locations in each other's markets....have no idea if it is true, and Houstons is certainly a step up from Harpers as far as price point.

If not Houstons, then what about a Houlihans? I'm still suprised they can't find a restaurant to fill this space.

Also, does anyone have any new store rumors? I noticed a lot of temporary, filler stores at SouthPark lately.

Edited by nyxmike

If not Houstons, then what about a Houlihans? I'm still suprised they can't find a restaurant to fill this space.

Also, does anyone have any new store rumors? I noticed a lot of temporary, filler stores at SouthPark lately.

Agreed and (1) Carlyle & Co's closing will leave a big gap in a prime location and (2) if Belk took over that former jewelry store at the main intersection of the mall right near the main entrance, why doesn't it take over that store next to it at the entrance to the Neiman Marcus/Nordstrom wing, across from Frontgate, that keeps closing?

How's the Neiman Marcus doing? With the mall absolutely packed last Saturday I expected a decent amount of traffic in the Neiman's but was wrong.

Agreed and (1) Carlyle & Co's closing will leave a big gap in a prime location and (2) if Belk took over that former jewelry store at the main intersection of the mall right near the main entrance, why doesn't it take over that store next to it at the entrance to the Neiman Marcus/Nordstrom wing, across from Frontgate, that keeps closing?

How's the Neiman Marcus doing? With the mall absolutely packed last Saturday I expected a decent amount of traffic in the Neiman's but was wrong.

I didn't see too many people going into the NM wing, and I didn't see too many bags. The last time I went on a Saturday in late November (before Black Friday) and Neiman Marcus was packed but there did not seem to be many people buying anything.

I didn't see too many people going into the NM wing, and I didn't see too many bags. The last time I went on a Saturday in late November (before Black Friday) and Neiman Marcus was packed but there did not seem to be many people buying anything.

Unfortunately, from what it sounds like, it seems that SouthPark's Neiman Marcus is more of a museum to residents than an actual store.

Unfortunately, from what it sounds like, it seems that SouthPark's Neiman Marcus is more of a museum to residents than an actual store.

I wouldn't be too worried. NM SouthPark doesn't have to do a lot of foot traffic to be sucessful, so long as they have a core group of frequent shoppers, which they likely have. Edited by StevenRocks

I wouldn't be too worried. NM SouthPark doesn't have to do a lot of foot traffic to be sucessful, so long as they have a core group of frequent shoppers, which they likely have.

I've always heard, and it makes sense if you think about it, most of the upscale department stores aka Saks, Neimans, Barneys etc don't have to necessarily move alot of merchandise compared to mid tier stores b/c their markups on merchandise is much greater. Alot of times people who tend to be the core customers of these stores are willing and financially able to pay the "premium" due to the service they receive or the label on the item they purchase. So to me it would be tricky to judge how Neimans is doing b/c a store like Neimans doesnt really have to have the masses shopping there due to their markups of merchandise.

I dunno, it's a theory that I've heard but I must admit my personal upscale department store shopping has been limited to the Raleigh Lord & Taylors going out of business sale and a run through of Saks in Raleigh right after they opened.

I've always heard, and it makes sense if you think about it, most of the upscale department stores aka Saks, Neimans, Barneys etc don't have to necessarily move alot of merchandise compared to mid tier stores b/c their markups on merchandise is much greater. Alot of times people who tend to be the core customers of these stores are willing and financially able to pay the "premium" due to the service they receive or the label on the item they purchase. So to me it would be tricky to judge how Neimans is doing b/c a store like Neimans doesnt really have to have the masses shopping there due to their markups of merchandise.

I dunno, it's a theory that I've heard but I must admit my personal upscale department store shopping has been limited to the Raleigh Lord & Taylors going out of business sale and a run through of Saks in Raleigh right after they opened.

I am not worried about NM Charlotte. I am sure that the markup is alot greater for their merchandise. If someone buys a $2,000 purse and another buys a $3,000 dress and there are a few other sales also NM will still make a lot of money.

I am not worried about NM Charlotte. I am sure that the markup is alot greater for their merchandise. If someone buys a $2,000 purse and another buys a $3,000 dress and there are a few other sales also NM will still make a lot of money.

Yeah, the last time I went there (been a while), I had an associate tell me that if I spent over $10,000 on the NM card in the store that day, that I would receive $1,000 off. It probably doesn't take that much volume at those rates to keep the place profitable.

Yeah, the last time I went there (been a while), I had an associate tell me that if I spent over $10,000 on the NM card in the store that day, that I would receive $1,000 off. It probably doesn't take that much volume at those rates to keep the place profitable.

Agreed. They send me emails that say like "Get a $250 gift card with every $1,000 purchase". I don't think that they need that many sales, either. Nordstrom has a lot of purchases, but they are usually of less money.