SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Well, at least you live in NY. The Manhattan store is still open. Rumor is Nieman's will carry his stuff in SouthPark. We'll see. :(

True enough, I like the Billy Reid in Manhattan, but they know me by name in Charlotte, and they don't give me makers mark in Manhattan

Edited by Guest

Man that's a bit surprising.....I thought they were one of the most demanding stores In that wing. I will definately miss their sweet sensations candy! Omg I want some now!

True enough, I like the Billy Reid in Manhattan, but they know me by name in Charlotte, and they don't give me makers mark in Manhattan

Edited by Temeteron

Man that's a bit surprising.....I thought they were one of the most demanding stores In that wing. I will definately miss their sweet sensations candy! Omg I want some now!

Thought I, too, would drop in to pay my respects to Billy Reid (the store - not the designer). They filled a great niche in Charlotte. I always had great help from sales associates. I hate to see the store leave, but I would love to hear more about NM carrying his products.

The candies were great (psssst... you can get them at Candy Candy in Founders Hall), but I agree that the bourbon was a hit - especially when you're trying to carry your lunchtime buzz forward.

Edited by Commoner

I have never been inside Billy Reids , they seem to have nice clothes, not into preppy here though. The whole wing is too rich for my blood. I stick with Urban Outfitters and American Apparel because I think I am so cool shades.giflaugh.gif Anyway, given that the luxe end of the retail market is not doing particularly well I wonder what or if anything will replace the BR spot. I assume the mall would want another tenant that matches the neighboring price points. Could be a long wait.

Edited by Forrest

I'm sad to see Billy Reid closing. They were a little too expensive for me, but it was a hell of a store. I hope they have a good GOB sale. Hopefully something just as good will replace them.

All things being equal, I think they'd do a little better inside NM because they'd be among the available brands and not just there by themselves.

Edited by StevenRocks

I'm sad to see Billy Reid closing. They were a little too expensive for me, but it was a hell of a store. I hope they have a good GOB sale. Hopefully something just as good will replace them.

All things being equal, I think they'd do a little better inside NM because they'd be among the available brands and not just there by themselves.

I will be happy for them to be in Neimen Marcus, now i'll have a reason to go there. I have always been VERY underwhelmed with NM's mens section, it really blows. The only thing I ever went there for was Thomas Pink. The mens section is a collection of JCPenney quality designs at outrageous prices. I mean seriously does anyone actually wear Etro or Robert Graham? I can understand going there for D&G, Gucci, Armani and Versace, but I see more Urban chic versions of those brands instead of classic styles, it's bothersome.

Nothing Beats Taylor Richards and Conger and Paul Simon!!!!

...The only thing I ever went there for was Thomas Pink. ...

Get out of here. NM Charlotte carries Thomas Pink? I've only walked through the men's section once and didn't notice.

@ StevenRocks - They now have a significant GOB markdown. 75%, I believe. It pains me to write this, because I won't be able to go until next week. Don't say I never gave you anything...

I will be happy for them to be in Neimen Marcus, now i'll have a reason to go there. I have always been VERY underwhelmed with NM's mens section, it really blows. The only thing I ever went there for was Thomas Pink. The mens section is a collection of JCPenney quality designs at outrageous prices. I mean seriously does anyone actually wear Etro or Robert Graham? I can understand going there for D&G, Gucci, Armani and Versace, but I see more Urban chic versions of those brands instead of classic styles, it's bothersome.

Agree on all counts. I don't know who's buying the menswear for Neiman Marcus, but they're missing the boat aesthetically. I like some of the tailored clothing and ties, along with the shoes and fragrances, but the sportswear is serious "fashion victim" territory.

@ StevenRocks - They now have a significant GOB markdown. 75%, I believe. It pains me to write this, because I won't be able to go until next week. Don't say I never gave you anything...

I might have to go Sunday... Thanks.

Agree on all counts. I don't know who's buying the menswear for Neiman Marcus, but they're missing the boat aesthetically. I like some of the tailored clothing and ties, along with the shoes and fragrances, but the sportswear is serious "fashion victim" territory.

I've always been a shirt connoisseur, and have obsessive love for Ike Behar, Ermenegildo Zegna, Thomas Pink, Armani Collection and Robert Talbott, I understand fashion, and I very much so understand menswear. As far as shirts go, their Stock is pretty daring, more catered to the 35-45 Greek/Italian/South Beach Crowd, they really did not do their research, this is Charlotte afterall. I always found the prevalence of the more flamboyant mens brands very interesting because their more Couture items for women are VERY conservative, its pretty backwards. Their suit selection is definitely one of the best in charlotte, however it pales in comparison to Paul Simon and Taylor Richards Conger. It seems to me that usually a department store makes money on its mark downs, because it buys in bulk, which is what kills the small local guy, yet Paul Simon and TRC always have lower prices than Neimens, as well as smarter and more personalized service. What is that? You claim no personal shoppers at the little guys? If you ever need anything from Paul Simon just ask for Dusty, he is by far the smartest clothier in Charlotte. Sure Paul Simon carries the more flamboyant brands like Etro, but its leveled out with Zegna, Talbott, Behar, Jack Victor, Varvaratos, etc. If Neimens were to look at someone like Paul Simon or TRC, maybe they would have a glimmer of hope, but then again hopefully they don't, because I would prefer the small guy to win in the long run.

It however is not the worst Mens Department I've been to, that would be the Nordstrom at Roosevelt Field, it was Urban Chic meets Charlie Sheen gone bowling.

I'd like to see some balance at Neiman's too. Nordstrom, too. A few years ago, they both made a big deal about courting a younger (supposedly hipper) customer, so they started stocking a lot of flamboyant brands. The younger customer didn't come and people like me who looked to them for quality conservative clothing were left out in the cold. It's frustrating.

Regarding the Billy Reid store, I made it by today (and got a $195 shirt for $44!). I chatted with one of the associates there, and they said that the reason for the closure wasn't the lack of business or customers - especially regulars. Business was apparently good. But the rent for that spot at SouthPark was so high, they just weren't making enough money. They said the rent was much higher than the NYC store, and Simon basically drove them out with the cost of the place. Even though the customer base was good in Charlotte (as there were three regulars there also joining in the conversation), they aren't planning on looking for another store location. They are moving the SP store to Atlanta instead. Apparently they have an exclusive deal with Bloomingdales as far as department stores go, so there will be no Billy Reid selection at Neiman Marcus. However, they are in talks with Taylor Richards & Conger to sell the line locally.

Regarding the Billy Reid store, I made it by today (and got a $195 shirt for $44!). I chatted with one of the associates there, and they said that the reason for the closure wasn't the lack of business or customers - especially regulars. Business was apparently good. But the rent for that spot at SouthPark was so high, they just weren't making enough money. They said the rent was much higher than the NYC store, and Simon basically drove them out with the cost of the place. Even though the customer base was good in Charlotte (as there were three regulars there also joining in the conversation), they aren't planning on looking for another store location. They are moving the SP store to Atlanta instead. Apparently they have an exclusive deal with Bloomingdales as far as department stores go, so there will be no Billy Reid selection at Neiman Marcus. However, they are in talks with Taylor Richards & Conger to sell the line locally.

That is really a shame, they would be perfect up/down town. (right beside the uptown Sacks and the H&M.....)

At least business was good and Simon thinks that there are enough tenants or prospective tenants willing to pay high rents- I was concerned about the luxury wing of the mall opening before the current economic scene, but sounds as if I shouldn't be worried.

Speaking of Saks, when is it EVER coming to Charlotte?

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Blynk Organic (same as the one uptown) opened up a spot in the food court about three weeks ago. I ate there yesterday and it was quite tasty, though a bit pricey for a mall food court. There is also a new Haagen Dazs ice cream spot getting ready to open in the food court.

Haagen Dazs's old location was a little awkward, so I can see why they'd move. Never heard of Blynk Organic, though. What kind of food do they have?

I believe they are a Raw/Vegeterian restaurant

Is Tory Burch a national chain or an individual? I've never heard of it/her/whatever.

Its not a chain per say its a brand, a designer. There are maybe 10 or 15 in the country. Just look down anywhere You will probably see this logo tory_burch_logo.jpg on a pair of ladies shoes, somewhere. In Charlotte the brand is sold at Nordstrom, as well as Intermix, Belk (exclusive to Charlotte and Atlanta), Capitol, and a few others.

Edited by Guest