SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

They need to stop with these cheaper stores and add some nicer stores like Hugo Boss and Gucci. I thought that they were headed in the right direction with Tory Burch and True Religion, but I guess not.

You are totally right, the mall shouldn't have to worry about its profitability and just go crazy. Simon should roll into Gucci, Prada, and Dolce and Gabana, and demand they come to a market that they might not make any money. While I agree that Timberland is a bit of a head scratcher for SouthPark, Gucci does not belong until our unemployment rate is back below 10% (or 8%). I don't understand why people seem to be forgetting that not only are we in hard times economically, but Neimen Marcus who carries these brands sets a precedent by barely turning a profit. I do think Hugo Boss has a shot of opening here.

Edited by Guest

If Gucci opened at SouthPark, which would be a huge, huge deal for our area; not to mention if Charleston has one then we should as well, even if it's a small one, it would be a disaster for Neiman Marcus since they carry Gucci as well. By the way, I've spoken with a friend of mine who is a loyal customer to Neiman and she told me that she heard that if Neiman were to close the SP location they would be penalized over $40 million....I wonder if that is actually true.

Is the Neiman Marcus doing so badly that closing is even a consideration?

I could see the store being stuck with lease payments through the end of the lease, unless a replacement were found, but given when Neiman Marcus came to SouthPark, when luxury retail was booming, the store probably had plenty of negotiating power to avoid any unreasonable terms.

Neimans is definitely not anywhere near closing. It has been said before that the store relies heavily on a customer base that is wealthy enough to support the small size and stock of the store. At 80,000 sf, I would say it is probably doing better than other NM stores in the country. We shouldn't measure the success of one of the most exclusive retailers in the country based on how many people are in the store at one time.

In other news, how many vacant stores are left within the mall? With Timberland, True Religion, and Tory Burch opening, I would think not many are left.

Neimans is definitely not anywhere near closing. It has been said before that the store relies heavily on a customer base that is wealthy enough to support the small size and stock of the store. At 80,000 sf, I would say it is probably doing better than other NM stores in the country. We shouldn't measure the success of one of the most exclusive retailers in the country based on how many people are in the store at one time.

In other news, how many vacant stores are left within the mall? With Timberland, True Religion, and Tory Burch opening, I would think not many are left.

I'm not worried about them closing.

Well, I hope American Apparel stays put. Where else can I get my leotards and disco leggings? laugh.gif Their more outlandish offerings aside, my primary destinations at SouthPark are AA and Urban Outfitters. Which is pretty low end compared to most of the regulars on this thread but they always seem busy. There is a strong midrange component to SouthPark. It's not ever going to become all upscale stores.

Edited by Forrest

Well, I hope American Apparel stays put. Where else can I get my leotards and disco leggings? laugh.gif Their more outlandish offerings aside, my primary destinations at SouthPark are AA and Urban Outfitters. Which is pretty low end compared to most of the regulars on this thread but they always seem busy. There is a strong midrange component to SouthPark. It's not ever going to become all upscale stores.

I want the midscale stores to stay at SouthPark. However, if one leaves, I hope that something better comes.

I have heard from a Nordstrom employee that yes, we are getting one in Charlotte. It is supposed to be on South Blvd. near 485 - my guess would be in the old Circuit City or CompUSA spots.

Yep...it's true...Nordstrom Rack will be opening at Carolina Pavilion in the former Circuit City location.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/408/story/1257807.html

• 3 weeks later...

A new upscale Tex-Mex/Mexican restaurant called Modern Mexican (based in San Antonio) will go in the old Morton's spot. It's set to open in the spring. I've never been to this place in particular, but if it's anything like tex-mex food that you can get in San Antonio (for those that have been there), it should be great...

Edited by dbull75

A new upscale Tex-Mex/Mexican restaurant called Modern Mexican (based in San Antonio) will go in the old Morton's spot. It's set to open in the spring. I've never been to this place in particular, but if it's anything like tex-mex food that you can get in San Antonio (for those that have been there), it should be great...

Actually its called "San Antonio's Modern Mexican" and its from Charlotte, a new product of CentraArchy Restaurant Management, the owners of Manzettis and New York Prime,

Actually its called "San Antonio's Modern Mexican" and its from Charlotte, a new product of CentraArchy Restaurant Management, the owners of Manzettis and New York Prime,

Ok, well apparently I read the article wrong... You're right though, it's Charlotte-based (even better).

No Worries Dbull :rolleyes:

In other Southpark news,

The Grape and Counter are being morfed together to create The Cowfish Sushi & Burger Bar. Sounds crazy right? Should be verrrrry interesting... Done by the owner of Eez Fushion and Sushi in Birkdale.

I was hoping for a Houston's, but that sounds good! I'm just glad something is finally going in that spot.

The Observer also said pricing would be "modest" which seems to run counter to "upscale".

• 2 weeks later...