Your Favorite Coffee Shop?

ESU and I have visited 40 coffee shops since 2004. Granted, about 10 of those are various Starbucks locations throughout the city. We have also tried the Seattles Best (owned by Starbucks) location in Bell Meade. I for one prefer the independent coffee shops. So here are my favorites in order: (William and I have not been to all of these together.) We have also had forum meets at many of these places over the past five years.

Bongo on the Curb

Bongo East

Fido

Frothy Monkey

Casablanca

Cafe Coco

Provence Downtown

Provence Hillsboro Village

Seattles Best Belle Meade

Provence Green Hills

Dose

Portland Brew 12 South

Portlane Brew East Nashville

Edgehill Coffee House

Star Bagel

Sam and Zoe's

Dunn's Brothers

City Cafe Bellevue

Crema

Sip

Drinkhaus

Panera Bread Suntrust Plaza

Bread & Company Hwy 100

Bread & Company Green Hills

H.G. Hill Coffee in the Viridian

Church Street Coffee (now defunct)

Josh Smith's Cofee House on 8th (now defunct)

Church Street Coffee next to Outloud Bookstore

Starbucks Locations: (I am sure I or we have been to many more around the city.)

Belle Meade

Green Hills Mall

Fifth Third Bank Downtown

Hillsboro Road

Harris Teeter Belle Meade

Target White Bridge Road

West End Drive through

West End 2525 Building

Renaissance Hotel

Doubletree Hotel

Sheraton Hotel

Hotel Indigo Downtown

Bellevue Hwy 70

Bellevue Hwy 100

Brentwood Maryland Farms

Brentwood Old Hickory Blvd

21st Avenue Vanderbilt

BR86

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESU and I have visited 40 coffee shops since 2004. Granted, about 10 of those are various Starbucks locations throughout the city. We have also tried the Seattles Best (owned by Starbucks) location in Bell Meade. I for one prefer the independent coffee shops. So here are my favorites in order: (William and I have not been to all of these together.) We have also had forum meets at many of these places over the past five years.

Bongo on the Curb

Bongo East

Fido

Frothy Monkey

Casablanca

Cafe Coco

Provence Downtown

Provence Hillsboro Village

Edgehill Coffee House

Seattles Best Belle Meade

Provence Green Hills

Dose

Portland Brew 12 South

Portlane Brew East Nashville

Star Bagel

Sam and Zoe's

Dunn's Brothers

City Cafe Bellevue

Crema

Sip

Drinkhaus

Panera Bread Suntrust Plaza

Bread & Company Hwy 100

Bread & Company Green Hills

H.G. Hill Coffee in the Viridian

Church Street Coffee (now defunct)

Josh Smith's Cofee House on 8th (now defunct)

Church Street Coffee next to Outloud Bookstore

Starbucks Locations: (I am sure I or we have been to many more around the city.)

Belle Meade

Green Hills Mall

Fifth Third Bank Downtown

Hillsboro Road

Harris Teeter Belle Meade

Target White Bridge Road

West End Drive through

West End 2525 Building

Renaissance Hotel

Doubletree Hotel

Sheraton Hotel

Hotel Indigo Downtown

Bellevue Hwy 70

Bellevue Hwy 100

Brentwood Maryland Farms

Brentwood Old Hickory Blvd

21st Avenue Vanderbilt

BR86

An impressive list, BR86. Another one for the list: Edgehill Cafe (at 15th and Villa). The laughs you and I have had at these cafes have been priceless.

My Top 10 would likely look something like this:

1. Bongo East: for all the laughs and memories when I lived in Five Points

2. Provence (downtown): Urban Planet meetings were stellar

3. Fido: A Village fave

4. Frothy Monkey: cool vibe and I once sat in the warm seat that Ben Folds had just vacated)

5. Bongo on Belmont: quirky layout

6. Provence in Hillsboro Village: vastly underrated place with its European vibe)

7. Dunn Brothers: anchors the most urban intersection in the city: Fourth and Church downtown

8. Casablanca: a rising Gulch star

9. Crema: stellar coffee and coffee drinks. Rachel knows her stuff

10. Dose: I liked it when it was Portland Brew and like it now, too.

I'm a big fan of Cafe Coco. It's not the best coffee or service, but the setting is great and it's been my hang out spot since i was about 14. It's also 24/7. I've had better coffee elsewhere, but i always go back to Coco. Just my vote.

Hmm... I wonder what the likelihood is we know each other. I hung out there for years, it was my second home between 2001-2005. The days when Ginny Brown, Amoretta, Faith, and Shelby rocked the house.

I have to say my top 10 in order are as follows:

Crema - Because Rachel is a badass. And congrats to her for being 6 mos. pregnant.

Cafe Coco - Because a lot of growing up happened there and it's where I met my wife. Also where I met all my best friends.

Bongo Belmont - Again, more memories. It's also where I held my first photography exhibition.

Bongo East - the vibe is great, and it's a good spot to be

Portland Brew on 12 S - a good backup.

Sam & Zoes - I used to manage this place when Doug Havron (owner of Gabbies Burgers on Chestnut) owned it. It was more for the atmosphere than the Bongo-brewed coffee.

Starbucks at Concord/Nolensville - real good people work there, and take a little extra time on the coffee. And it's always quiet.

Frothy Monkey - I always forget it's there, but they make a good cub of organic java... when I'm into that kind of thing.

The coffee shop that used to be on 2nd Ave - anyone remember that place?

The Good Cup - again, cool vibe and a decent brew.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The new East Nashville coffee house, The Barista Parlor, is open on Gallatin Rd immediately north of the Porter Road Butcher and not far from Bar 308. So it's between Calvin and Stratton. It is pretty cool. It is a large space that was for many years a transmission shop, but the owners have cleaned it up quite a bit but retained the garage doors that they can open on decent days. The artwork is cool and they have some nifty hand-made tables. And their prices aren't bad, either.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to put another word in for Edgehill Cafe. Maybe I'm a little biased since it's my neighborhood coffee shop and I can walk there in less than 2 minutes.....but they seem to have some of the best tasting coffee I've ever had. They also have the fastest free wireless internet I've ever seen in a public facility. I downloaded a couple podcasts while there and it rivaled speeds I get at my house. Lastly, they have morning happy hour (before 9am) that gives half price coffee. A 12oz cup only costs 97 cents.

I'm going to put another word in for Edgehill Cafe. Maybe I'm a little biased since it's my neighborhood coffee shop and I can walk there in less than 2 minutes.....but they seem to have some of the best tasting coffee I've ever had. They also have the fastest free wireless internet I've ever seen in a public facility. I downloaded a couple podcasts while there and it rivaled speeds I get at my house. Lastly, they have morning happy hour (before 9am) that gives half price coffee. A 12oz cup only costs 97 cents.

Edgehill2 in Lenox Village is good too. Another place just opened up that does siphon service and Chemex pours in Green Hills called "Well". Cool building and I can appreciate most of what they do (all profit above operational cost is given away... helping families in Africa, etc).

• 5 weeks later...

The new East Nashville coffee house, The Barista Parlor, is open on Gallatin Rd immediately north of the Porter Road Butcher and not far from Bar 308. So it's between Calvin and Stratton. It is pretty cool. It is a large space that was for many years a transmission shop, but the owners have cleaned it up quite a bit but retained the garage doors that they can open on decent days. The artwork is cool and they have some nifty hand-made tables. And their prices aren't bad, either.

Update on The Barista Parlor. Has anyone seen a new arts/culture magazine called Native? I picked up a copy this weekend and they had a feature article on The Barista Parlor. It included details about the hand-made wooden tables which are by a local furniture maker (who also received a feature article in the magazine). According to the article in Native, the owner is of Mennonite heritage and that background informs his affinity for hand-made stuff. Also, The Barista Parlor includes small bites from Porter Road Butcher, which are about the only thing from Porter Road Butcher that I can afford :(

Check it out sometime.

Archived