The Peabody Hotel

MTSUBlueraider86

For many years the Peabody Hotel Corporation has looked at Nashville. In fact when the initial plans called for the redevelopment of the thermal site, Peabody proposed, with a rendering ,an 11 story classically designed hotel to sit basically at 1st Avenue and KVB. Across the street was to be the 630 foot Marina Tower that looked hideous with the suicide proof floors incorporating a sort of Asian design by a firm out of Cookeville, Tn. Our forumer Fieldmarshaldj coined the phrase "The Jetson's Tower."

Peabody wanted 42 million dollars in TIF money (Tax Increment Financing of which Tony Giaratanna took full advantage of for his projects.). The city said no and thus Peabody made no more proposals until recently. A rendering appeared a couple of days ago in the Convention Center thread. Personally, I don't know how realistic or serious the proposal is.

Many years ago, Marriott which owns the Ritz Carlton brand name wanted to locate on West End Avenue. If my recolection is correct, it is where the Arby's and BP station are now. Bill Marriott said as recently as a few years ago when I was at the Rennaissance that Nashville was not the market for a Ritz, but possibly a J.W. Marriott which is the most exclusive Marriott property.

Remember, Bill Marriott met with then mayor Bill Purcell about adding a 12 story hotel tower encompassing high end suites to the top of the convention center where the Medical Mart will now be built. The goal was to make the Rennaissance Hotel the Rennaissance Hotel and Convention Center modeled after what they did in Mobile, Alabama. A shopping mall was part of the discussions at the time in 2006 and 2007 as I recall.

Intercontinental never built in West End Summit as they were waiting for Alex Palmer to carry the paper. The "W" never located on the Roundabout Plaza.

Hoteliers have always had big plans for Music City, but most have never happened. Remember Kemper Hotels were to be in Signature Tower?

So I ask the forum, when will Nashville be ready? When is Nashville good enough? Will the Omni be the catalyst to get other high end properties here? Will Peabody invest their own money and come without TIF? When will these hoteliers give Nashville some respect and not just use us as a pawn to get a better offer elsewhere?

BR86

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For many years the Peabody Hotel Corporation has looked at Nashville. In fact when the initial plans called for the redevelopment of the thermal site, Peabody proposed, with a rendering ,an 11 story classically designed hotel to sit basically at 1st Avenue and KVB. Across the street was to be the 630 foot Marina Tower that looked hideous with the suicide proof floors incorporating a sort of Asian design by a firm out of Cookeville, Tn. Our forumer Fieldmarshaldj coined the phrase "The Jetson's Tower."

Peabody wanted 42 million dollars in TIF money (Tax Increment Financing of which Tony Giaratanna took full advantage of for his projects.). The city said no and thus Peabody made no more proposals until recently. A rendering appeared a couple of days ago in the Convention Center thread. Personally, I don't know how realistic or serious the proposal is.

Many years ago, Marriott which owns the Ritz Carlton brand name wanted to locate on West End Avenue. If my recolection is correct, it is where the Arby's and BP station are now. Bill Marriott said as recently as a few years ago when I was at the Rennaissance that Nashville was not the market for a Ritz, but possibly a J.W. Marriott which is the most exclusive Marriott property.

Remember, Bill Marriott met with then mayor Bill Purcell about adding a 12 story hotel tower encompassing high end suites to the top of the convention center where the Medical Mart will now be built. The goal was to make the Rennaissance Hotel the Rennaissance Hotel and Convention Center modeled after what they did in Mobile, Alabama. A shopping mall was part of the discussions at the time in 2006 and 2007 as I recall.

Intercontinental never built in West End Summit as they were waiting for Alex Palmer to carry the paper. The "W" never located on the Roundabout Plaza.

Hoteliers have always had big plans for Music City, but most have never happened. Remember Kemper Hotels were to be in Signature Tower?

So I ask the forum, when will Nashville be ready? When is Nashville good enough? Will the Omni be the catalyst to get other high end properties here? Will Peabody invest their own money and come without TIF? When will these hoteliers give Nashville some respect and not just use us as a pawn to get a better offer elsewhere?

BR86

BR86,

Excellent overview of Nashville's recent history related to hotels. Yours is an impressive memory.

To answer your questions, "Yes" I feel Nashville is finally ready. Despite failures with Kemper, W, Intercontinental, etc., Omni will send a message. I believe a key catalyst might be the two Marriott brands for the Patel project at 18th and West End.

WW

Archived