Mary Black Rail Trail

spartanburgh

On 1/20/2022 at 8:43 PM, westsider28 said:

This new rezoning of both parcels to B-3 was recommended for approval by the Planning Commission.  It will go before City Council at their Feb. 14 and 28 meetings.

A rep from Lat Purser said that the breakdown of uses has changed to work out better financially (which was why they decided to rezone both parcels).  They're increasing the residential from ~130 originally to ~175 units now, and reducing commercial from ~35k sq ft to ~15k sq ft.  They also said the increased residential numbers should allow for lower commercial rents.  The current warehouse on site is very large, so I wonder if they may demolish part of it to accommodate more residential.  It will be interesting to see the site plan.

I was looking at the Feb. 14 City Council agenda where this rezoning will be up for first reading, and there is a site plan on page 250.  It is EXTREMELY disappointing (see below).  They're proposing completely demolishing the very interesting/historic row of warehouses for a parking lot fronting Union with the apartments fronting the Rail Trail, and reusing the eastern (much more non-descript) building as leasing/amenity space and a measly 3000 SF of retail.  They eventually plan to ask for a variance as the comp plan requires 365 spaces (for 178 units and 3k SF retail), and they plan to provide 250.

758026443_BoxcaraptsLPAsiteplan.thumb.jpg.4facd7a8b5b11df43d07ce41e1b78ee6.jpg

So disappointed.  Lat Purser can do much better.  They've done lots of adaptive reuse.  I know they're slightly hamstrung by our terrible, outdated regulations, but come on...

• Confused 2

On 9/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, westsider28 said:

The more exciting news is this VCC filed by Fretwell developers for several (4) additional parcels at the corner of Marion and Union (see below).  They don't own them yet, but the VCC states under "proposed redevelopment": Fretwell will acquire the Property and intends to develop the parcels and surrounding area with retail, restaurant, and entertainment spaces. I've said before that Rail Trail adjacent development is likely to accelerate, and here's an early sign of just that.

793396736_fretwellnewprop.JPG.97b7aa12e0458e602f6d8a3df1ca1a3c.JPG

Update on this: I found a newer VCC for these properties under a different LLC.  "Enjoy Life Daily, LLC" (registered to Gervais Hollowell of LRR) wants to acquire the property and intends to develop the parcels and surrounding area with retail, restaurant, and entertainment spaces.  Good to see this idea is still progressing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update from SPATS on the CCR project / RT extension to Glendale.  Apparently, bids came in higher than expected (58% higher than engineers estimate).  Next steps are "reevaluate plans and proposal to reduce uncertainties and risk"; "reevaluate our engineer's estimate" and "review construction phasing aimed at limiting traffic disruptions".  New proposed bid date is May 2022.  Ugh.  The long wait continues...

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 5:34 PM, westsider28 said:

Update from SPATS on the CCR project / RT extension to Glendale.  Apparently, bids came in higher than expected (58% higher than engineers estimate).  Next steps are "reevaluate plans and proposal to reduce uncertainties and risk"; "reevaluate our engineer's estimate" and "review construction phasing aimed at limiting traffic disruptions".  New proposed bid date is May 2022.  Ugh.  The long wait continues...

The irony is had it not been delayed in the first place due to lack of funding then could have advanced a few years a go at a much lower cost.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More details about Fretwell in this HJ article.  While the Little River Roasting Co. building may take another month to be fully operational, The Spartan should be open in a few weeks.  LRR will serve breakfast and lunch, 7:30am - 4:00pm.  The LRR kitchen can also be rented to farmers to cook food they produce.  There will also be Hub City Farmers Market pop-ups from 6-8:30 p.m. at Fretwell every Wednesday from June 8-Aug. 3.  They plan to have live music on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.  Fretwell will offer public restroom facilities for Rail Trail users!  Another building is planned for a second phase.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, westsider28 said:

I was looking at the Feb. 14 City Council agenda where this rezoning will be up for first reading, and there is a site plan on page 250.  It is EXTREMELY disappointing (see below).  They're proposing completely demolishing the very interesting/historic row of warehouses for a parking lot fronting Union with the apartments fronting the Rail Trail, and reusing the eastern (much more non-descript) building as leasing/amenity space and a measly 3000 SF of retail.  They eventually plan to ask for a variance as the comp plan requires 365 spaces (for 178 units and 3k SF retail), and they plan to provide 250.

758026443_BoxcaraptsLPAsiteplan.thumb.jpg.4facd7a8b5b11df43d07ce41e1b78ee6.jpg

So disappointed.  Lat Purser can do much better.  They've done lots of adaptive reuse.  I know they're slightly hamstrung by our terrible, outdated regulations, but come on...

According to Monday's agenda (pg 68), City Council will consider first reading of a development agreement with Lat Purser on this project.  Lat Purser would provide 10% of the 160 units as workforce housing to residents making 80% AMI.  They would also install improvements to sidewalks and landscaping on Union.  The project is ~$22 million.  They would pay a FILOT starting at $130k annually, escalating to $750k over 20 years. 

The agenda still shows the same godawful site plan with a huge parking lot along Union.  I like the idea of this project, but the execution is just sooo bad...

Edited by westsider28
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I see what you are saying. I envision what it would look like for the apartments to go directly on the spot where the warehouses are now at - and it would be such a statement for the Union Street Corridor. At the same time, I 100% why they would go this route. If I am going to live by the trail, I'd rather be able to sit on my little balcony overlooking the trail itself, and not the parking lot. In any case, I like that it will be the same developer doing the Fitzgerald. They do awesome work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got this e-mail update about the Country Club Road project / Rail Trail extension from Sherry Dull of SPATS:

"I am pleased to say that we will finally see construction commence on the Country Club Road Corridor this coming Fall 2022!  

As I reported after the Policy Committee Meeting in February, the original bids that were received from the let date in December 2021 came in higher than the engineering estimate, and the lowest of the three bids was unbalanced.  At that point the SCDOT engineers reevaluated the plans and then advertised to re-let the project for bids in May 2022.  The bids came in higher than expected again, with the lowest bid from Palmetto Corporation of Conway at $24.25M for construction costs.  In addition, there are estimated costs for Utilities, Railroad and Engineering & Inspection for a total estimate of $28M.  SCDOT called for an Accelerated Construction Conversion (ACC) which would allow the project to move forward utilizing advanced Guideshare funds from SPATS with payback over the next three years.  The Policy Committee voted unanimously to approve the ACC in order for SCDOT to award the bid before the deadline and begin the construction process."
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...