Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

I've been doing some research recently, looking into buying a house. I've pretty much settled on the south of downtown area. From the different sources I've found, I'm beginning to think that this area is really destined for some great development over the next several years. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the area and have a collective spot where topics on the area could be gathered. Here's some of the things that I have found about south of downtown that's got me excited:

Downtown South Committee / Main Street

Lymmo Expansion Study

South Orange Avenue Development Activity

Orange/Michigan Vision Plan

South of Downtown Vision Plan

SODO

Orlando Health/Amtrak Sunrail Station

Anyway, that's a start.

Edited by SuperMan11MS

I bought in Wadeview Park about a year ago for the very same reasons. College Park seemed built out and Thornton was more expensive. With SoDo and the potential redevelopment of the old Albertsons, it seemed like the neighborhood was on the upside.

• 4 weeks later...

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center gets arts program, thanks to Orlando’s votes

Remember a while back when we asked you to vote for a United Arts plan to bring an artists-in-residence program to Orlando’s M.D. Anderson Cancer Center?

Well, congratulations Central Florida: Enough of you supported the idea to make the program a reality.

The M.D. Anderson center was selected as a recipient of two grants totaling $20,000 from Livestrong, Lance Armstrong’s cancer-fighting organization, after a national online voting campaign.

The Orlando cancer facility was among more than 170 hospitals and cancer centers being considered for grants.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for M.D. Anderson-Orlando, and we are thrilled to named as a recipient of these awards,” said Clarence Brown III, M.D., president and CEO of the center. “We want to give special thanks to Livestrong and to everyone who voted … here in Central Florida.”

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center gets arts program, thanks to Orlando’s votes

Edited by DeepEyez

The Orange/Michigan Vision plan should be an utmost priority for the city, including the Lymmo expansion to Michigan Ave. I know a lot of downtown dwellers who live in the Delaney Park area that still utilize vehicles who wish to have the Lymmo expansion. This would be mutually beneficial to downtown condo dwellers who also need the amenities at SODO and Michigan Ave.

I don't think we should be ignoring the continued improvement of Parramore over time, however I do believe Lymmo North/South should take precedence to Parramore.

Edited by prahaboheme

I look at this from a connectivity standpoint. Thornton Park, while somewhat removed from the CBD, is still relatively close by and connected by the street grid, which makes it a bit easier to access. South Orange is both psychically and psychologically removed from downtown, but has major commercial, health, and residential sectors that anchor the entire downtown area. This is why I believe it to be a bigger priority than Thornton Park.

I look at this from a connectivity standpoint. Thornton Park, while somewhat removed from the CBD, is still relatively close by and connected by the street grid, which makes it a bit easier to access. South Orange is both psychically and psychologically removed from downtown, but has major commercial, health, and residential sectors that anchor the entire downtown area. This is why I believe it to be a bigger priority than Thornton Park.

I agree with you on connecting SoDo to downtown before going east to Thornton Park. I'd also like to see it expand north at the same time to Florida Hospital with a spur that goes down Princeton to Edgewater.

One thing about Lymmo I don't understand is how it's funded, and just how extensive is it supposed to be before it loses out on potential revenue when the most densely populated parts of the city get to ride for free?

It was funded by the DDB and revenue from the centroplex garages. I do not know how they are going to fund it now with the old Amway closed down.

I've attended a couple of public meetings on the extension and we have been surveyed as to how much (if anything) we are willing to pay for the extension, but apparently nothing has been decided to date.

• 3 months later...

The city is looking to create Neighborhood Improvement Districts (NIDS) so that SODO, College Park & Semoran Blvd Neighborhoods & Businesses can pay a special tax which will be directly reinvested back into their own neighborhood improvements. I don't know how to include the article so here's a link:

http://www.wftv.com/...545/detail.html

I would support something like this if it will allow residents to contribute as well. I'd like to see more acorn lighting fixtures & more traffic calming on my street, by either installing more round-abouts or islands (but no speed bumps). People zoom down my street sometimes over 30mph... myself included :whistling:

Edited by LDG

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this topic back up.

Since the last post here, there are some developments:

Orlando Health broke ground on $4.8M park project - OBJ 2/8/12

Locally Preferred Alternative for southern LYMMO expansion chosen - PPT Presentation - The LAP has been approved by LYNX, the City and Metroplan Orlando and is now eligible for a federal funding request. No design/build timeline yet. LPA includes both the SunRail station and the Market at Southside

Speaking of which...

Applebee's Domino's join Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market south of downtown - OBJ 6/6/12 (Applebee's opened this past weekend)

The Downtown South NID receives 25,000 from Orlando Health; VHB MillerSellen selected as a consultant to the NID - Link to Minutes/Agendas for the Downtown South NID

I'm interested to see what becomes of the grassy block on the east side of Orange between Harding and Muriel. There are townhouses on both sidestreets to the east which make for a nice transition from a larger project on Orange into the neighborhood behind it.

Excellent update, Steve - it's really amazing how S. Orange Ave. is losing its scruffy, sprawlish look these days. Another milestone also passed this weekend with the passing of Austin Caruso, Sr., whose family pioneered the growth of the area starting with their extensive groves and packing house operations in the area, which later became Southside Center, Southern Oaks subdivision and a variety of other things in that end of town. The Carusos are a true FFO (First Family of Orlando), and condolences to the family and a network of friends and acquaintances that are to Orlando what the Friends of Bill and Hillary are to DC.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-05/news/os-obituary-austin-caruso-20120805_1_citrus-industry-stephen-caruso-orlando-high-school

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 months later...

I'm not going to spend as much time with this BUMP since there are several other threads with information (particularly the Metro Orlando and Hospitals) - but things continue to move forward for Downtown South.

SunRail - on track for May 2014

LYMMO - Locally Preferred Alignments chosen which allows LYNX to submit for funding of a N/S line. The south alignment serves Orlando Health, SunRail, Amtrak, SoDo, and loops around the Market at Southside.

Market at Southside - Applebee's is open and the Walmart Neighborhood Market renovation is just underway.

Orlando Health - See Hospitals thread - but looking forward to the reopening of Lake Beauty Park, the new office and hotel space on Columbia and of course the new tower.

As I posted before - I'm curious to see what the future holds for the empty block bordered by Orange to the west, Harding to the north, and Murial to the south and the Newton Corner townhomes to the east.

• 3 months later...

To pull from other threads:

- WAWA is looking to build at 3100 S Orange Ave where Clarkie's used to be

- The re-opening of Lake Beauty Park is on February 28th.  If you drive by now you can see a nice new Orlando Health sign/sculpture through the fence on Orange and Miller.

Also, looking ahead for projects slated to come up at the MARCH MPB meeting -

The Wawa at 3110 S Orange is listed - and a Bojangles? 

The city is looking to annex 3117 S Orange which is a closed business "Circle C Cars"

To pull from other threads:

- WAWA is looking to build at 3100 S Orange Ave where Clarkie's used to be

- The re-opening of Lake Beauty Park is on February 28th.  If you drive by now you can see a nice new Orlando Health sign/sculpture through the fence on Orange and Miller.

Also, looking ahead for projects slated to come up at the MARCH MPB meeting -

The Wawa at 3110 S Orange is listed - and a Bojangles? 

The city is looking to annex 3117 S Orange which is a closed business "Circle C Cars"

The wawa Orlando takeover continues! *evil laugh*

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...