Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

They could end up keeping both though that would be different than what they've done in places like Winter Park Village.

Their current location is tough to get in and out of if driving and Andy and I are in a minority that give them business on foot.   I scare the heck out of the Baristas when I use their "front door" on Orange.

13 hours ago, Jernigan said:

GrowthSpotter covered the property seeking annexation today.   No plans for redevelopment in the near term, just getting hooked up to sewer.   

It gave an update on Southside Shoppes and the one thing that I hadn't read before is that they are looking to put a free standing Starbucks on the "hard corner" (I imagine that means Pineloch and Orange.)

Wonder if it's safe the say that the one at Orange and Crystal Lake will be closing.

That would put them right across Orange Ave from Wawa. I wonder if they will take business away from a popular store that sells a wide variety of good coffee for a fraction of the price right across the street. 

I'm all for it.   Just was basing it on some other spots here like Winter Park and gosh there's one other that did the same thing and moved down like a block.   Maybe Aloma closer to Semoran?   

Growthspotter had a big update on this.   Luckys Market is the anchor for this new Southside center.   Good news.   Here's a siteplan which is hopefully not final!

IMG_1881.JPG

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I like that it's close enough for me to shop there if I want to, but I probably won't.

From the pics I've seen, it looks kinda high priced and fu-fu for my tastes.

It's been described as if Trader Joe's and Whole Foods had a baby. Some stuff is stupid-priced and some isn't. Their deli, veggies, grab and go and salad bar are cheap. 

2 hours ago, Mark Baratelli said:

It's been described as if Trader Joe's and Whole Foods had a baby. Some stuff is stupid-priced and some isn't. Their deli, veggies, grab and go and salad bar are cheap. 

Yeah, I noticed from some Google pics I saw of the interior of their stores, the resemblance to those other two chains.

I'm always a bit wary of stores that have all that expensive hip decor and open floor space where products could be. Tells me that they have a smaller selection so they have to charge more for what they do have. I like my grocery stores traditional, with row after row of shelves and aisles running parallel to each other, all jam packed with loads of stuff. 

And low, low everyday prices!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, I noticed from some Google pics I saw of the interior of their stores, the resemblance to those other two chains.

I'm always a bit wary of stores that have all that expensive hip decor and open floor space where products could be. Tells me that they have a smaller selection so they have to charge more for what they do have. I like my grocery stores traditional, with row after row of shelves and aisles running parallel to each other, all jam packed with loads of stuff. 

Be on the lookout for the model of the traditional grocery store to be on the way out. The endless aisles of packaged goods are falling out of favor with millennials who prefer fresher goods. They even shop differently. Instead of stocking up for the week and preparing meals based on what was purchased like your mom probably did, they're more likely to decide what they want last minute and run to the store to purchase the few items they need.

It hasn't helped that packaged goods like cereal have been exposed as a wasteland of empty calories with little actual nutrition (ironically, the cereal aisle was once the most densely packed part of the store.)

Also, buying cleaning items and paper goods online are deleting additional profit centers from the middle of the store. Even discounters like Aldi are upping the fresh and prepared items on the periphery of the store at the expense of packaged goods. Within 10 years, supermarkets will look very different across price points.

A great read on this is "Grocery: The Buying and Selling of Food In America" by Michael Ruhlman.

Before you ask, yep I'm a retail nerd from way back.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Aside from cereal, the even bigger problem with regards to all the other packaged food they sell, is how loaded with sodium, sugar, empty carbohydrates and processed meat they are. In reality, the majority of food in ANY grocery stores, the hip, trendy new ones included, is extremely unhealthy. Even the stuff that claims to be healthy.

I think the real attraction of these stores for millennials, is the cool decor and hip, urban vibe they sell. You can get fresh produce anywhere. If that were really the draw for millennials, that Freshfield Farms off of Michigan Street would be hipster central.

• Like 3

I'm a boomer from the latter end of the cohort so I don't really count but I'm a Freshfield Farms guy because of the better produce and seafood selections compared to Publix (not to mention better prices.) I also buy most nonfood items online now so slowly but surely I'm getting less and less from the P. I feel guilty because I much prefer walking to the grocery store but until Publix updates their format in the FL stores (they're doing that in the  new NC and VA stores), there's less and less for me. They also need to ditch hi-lo pricing with ELP (Wegmans has so it can be done with high-end markets.) Thank goodness for Publix subs and online ordering!

On 6/2/2017 at 4:41 PM, AndyPok1 said:

This.  I thought they were trying to continue the urban fabric.  Why isn't it built to the street, or at least be filled with outparcels?

To be honest, I can't see where that really even matters much, given the location. That area, being as far outside of downtown as it is, and given all the other surrounding businesses that are also set back from the street with surface parking lots in front, having the buildings right at street level would have almost zero impact on any sense of density or "urban fabric". Actually, had they done that, it would have been out of character with the surroundings. Might have made it more difficult to get in and out of, too. It looks like there is room for at least one more out parcel fronting Orange, so it's likey that will fill in eventually.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 1:12 PM, JFW657 said:

I totally agree.  Jam packed is best.  case in point.  If you've ever been to a Ross, go to the one on I-Drive.  It is so packed full of product (and people) it's sick.

On 6/2/2017 at 3:04 PM, JFW657 said:

Aside from cereal, the even bigger problem with regards to all the other packaged food they sell, is how loaded with sodium, sugar, empty carbohydrates and processed meat they are. In reality, the majority of food in ANY grocery stores, the hip, trendy new ones included, is extremely unhealthy. Even the stuff that claims to be healthy.

I think the real attraction of these stores for millennials, is the cool decor and hip, urban vibe they sell. You can get fresh produce anywhere. If that were really the draw for millennials, that Freshfield Farms off of Michigan Street would be hipster central.

that place is great.  Freshfield...