Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Demo complete and site work underway at Orange and Hollenbeck.

Two office buildings to the south of this project were recently purchased and both up for lease.   (Former homes of 321 Creative and Net-Conversion).

IMG_2912.JPG

I'm confused.  Yes, it's true.

I looked on Google and that area between Pineloch & Butler east of Orange, including Doo Da Lane, is full of houses and some trailers.  Did they buy all of those people off?

The post you quoted is much further north - north of Kaley - just to be sure...

As far as Southside Shoppes/Southgate/Luckys....yes everything within Butler to the south, Center to the east, Pineloch to the north and Orange to the west has been assembled by BluRock and their partners.    

"Joe" from BluRock also did the Wawa and Joes Car Wash (yes, his car wash) across the street and more recently the strip north of Chipotle that includes the Habit burger, Verizon and Mattress One.   Not to mention a deal that gave Chipotle ample parking through a shared lot.

In hindsight, I wonder if he regrets not doing something bigger with the Wawa/car wash site.   He may have truly not seen this huge project happening at the time.  I remember when the buzz was about one of the delapidated shacks in the middle of it all becoming a Jeremiahs.   BluRock grew up fast!

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 9:47 PM, Jernigan said:

The post you quoted is much further north - north of Kaley - just to be sure...

As far as Southside Shoppes/Southgate/Luckys....yes everything within Butler to the south, Center to the east, Pineloch to the north and Orange to the west has been assembled by BluRock and their partners.    

"Joe" from BluRock also did the Wawa and Joes Car Wash (yes, his car wash) across the street and more recently the strip north of Chipotle that includes the Habit burger, Verizon and Mattress One.   Not to mention a deal that gave Chipotle ample parking through a shared lot.

In hindsight, I wonder if he regrets not doing something bigger with the Wawa/car wash site.   He may have truly not seen this huge project happening at the time.  I remember when the buzz was about one of the delapidated shacks in the middle of it all becoming a Jeremiahs.   BluRock grew up fast!

I imagine that a WaWa is a great tenant to have.  I probably would have jumped on that too.

I still can't believe that whole area is going to be developed like that.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:10 PM, jgardnerucf said:

All gone. Dirt.  Southern Oaks and Truck FX next.

Southern oaks is closing within three weeks.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:38 AM, alex said:

I always wondered about that lot. Would be a nice spot for a small restaurant with a dock/patio, like the old Gargi's on Lake Ivanhoe. 

Or like Hillstone (fka Houston's) on Lake Killarney in Winter Park. It would be nice to have a restaurant row, of sorts, in SODO along Orange Ave.

My dream would be to get a Cheesecake Factory in the downtown core as the anchor in a mixed use development on the vacant lot next to Crescent central station. CFs are always busy, appeal to all price points, open reasonable hours, offers curbside pickup etc. Something like this would be a boon for the area IMO.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 9:48 AM, AndyPok1 said:

Looking at their website, they mainly do residential communities, and only have been branching out into commercial recently.  They don't really have any single-site spaces, so it is definitely out of character for them.

Ah.  I know those guys.  I'll ask them what they're planning for that lot.

• Like 1

It does seem to have the same low walls that Texaco/7-11 and Wawa put up at the sidewalk.  Maybe that's part of the urban guidelines?  Wendy's/Taco Bell just decided they didn't want to go that way?  Remember where the Taco Bell that burned down along with the Pollo Tropical/KFC used to be.

Edited by codypet

SoDo was a great start.  compared to what was formerly there, it is light years better.  I also agree that I do not like how they developed the outparcels the way they did; I wanted the multi-story buildings right up on Orange Ave.  Maybe they had restrictions back when they designed it.  Now, that's thrown out the window with Lucerne Promenade.

The Lucerne Promenade project is almost like SoDo evolved.  The Lucky's project at Pineloch is almost a step in the wrong direction, but still better than what's currently there, by light years.

I was in Chicago recently, and they built a new Target on the North Side where from the street, it is elevated 1/2 floor height but in actuality it was a full floor height above the sidewalk, with entrance to the below grade parking from the side or rear.  Part of the parking was surface parking also from the back.  With Sodo, parking is on top.

In Tampa, the Target on Dale Mabry with those other stores and Whole Foods are stacked on top of each other, with the garage adjacent with elevated walkways connecting.

We have Publix  inside the Paramount.  Ft. Lauderdale has had the Publix set up like SoDo Target.  Miami just built a Whole Foods inside a new tower.

Orlando also has the Dellagio project where half the project has below grade parking.  AAA in Heathrow has underground parking too.  There are a few projects around town like this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

SoDo was a great start.  compared to what was formerly there, it is light years better.  I also agree that I do not like how they developed the outparcels the way they did; I wanted the multi-story buildings right up on Orange Ave.  Maybe they had restrictions back when they designed it.  Now, that's thrown out the window with Lucerne Promenade.

Maybe the difference is the proximity to downtown.

With LP being just south of the 408 and practically in downtown and Sodo being all the way down near Michigan St., there may be different zoning standards and requirements.