Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

I know for a fact a very vocal minority against the idea did make themselves heard when the petition was first announced.   I suspect the city was trying to either make everyone happy or couldn't get FDOT to agree to painting nonstandard colors on the crosswalk.  I suspect the latter was the case.

I know Edgewater has pink crosswalks but best of my knowledge Edgewater is a City road and Orange is SR 527.

27 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

We have non-standard crosswalks on 50 and Bumby complete with compass directions 

Yes, but that predates the ruling on the topic, and even so, its more neutral colors. The 2011 rules on the topic clarified "The FHWA's position has always been, and continues to be subdued-colored aesthetic treatments between the legally marked transverse crosswalk lines are permissible provided that they are devoid of retroreflective properties and that they do not diminish the effectiveness of the legally required white transverse pavement markings used to establish the crosswalk. Examples of acceptable treatments include brick lattice patterns, paving bricks, paving stones, setts, cobbles, or other resources designed to simulate such paving. Acceptable colors for these materials would be red, rust, brown, burgundy, clay, tan or similar earth tone equivalents. All elements of pattern and color for these treatments are to be uniform, consistent, repetitive, and expected so as not to be a source of distraction. No element of the aesthetic interior treatment is to be random or unsystematic. No element of the aesthetic interior treatment can implement pictographs, symbols, multiple color arrangements, etc., or can otherwise attempt to communicate with any roadway user."

So solid dull pink colors, brick, etc, is ok with them, artwork or bright colored stripes is not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Bungalower now has an article about it :)

haha I wish I'd checked here first and I could have had the story earlier! It's interesting they're only doing the southern side and not the intersection to the north as well. Seems to make sense to use it as a placemaking initiative for the new interim park. 

• 3 weeks later...

There *might* be a ton about to happen:

- MPL permit application for 1810 Hollenbeck.   This is the residential street that is starting to turn into rear parking for new businesses on Orange starting with a plaza being built now.  Not sure what this permit is for yet but I don't think an MPL would be needed just for a house..

- The two existing offices south of the new strip are being renovated and will be Sage Dental and a medical merijuana store.   These are the former locations of Net Conversion and 321 Creative which both grew and moved downtown.

- MPL application for 2504 S Orange...McDonalds site.   Not sure what that means yet.

- Big one - 2015 permit for Axiom Plaza at 2121 S Orange just ISSUED.   Thought this was dead.  This plaza was originally supposed to include a Verizon, Mattress One and Corner Bakery...two of those are now open in the new plaza just south of it.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

- MPL permit application for 1810 Hollenbeck.   This is the residential street that is starting to turn into rear parking for new businesses on Orange starting with a plaza being built now.  Not sure what this permit is for yet but I don't think an MPL would be needed just for a house..

- The two existing offices south of the new strip are being renovated and will be Sage Dental and a medical merijuana store.   These are the former locations of Net Conversion and 321 Creative which both grew and moved downtown.

- MPL application for 2504 S Orange...McDonalds site.   Not sure what that means yet.

- Big one - 2015 permit for Axiom Plaza at 2121 S Orange just ISSUED.   Thought this was dead.  This plaza was originally supposed to include a Verizon, Mattress One and Corner Bakery...two of those are now open in the new plaza just south of it.   

For 2504 S Orange they're going to tear it down and build a new McDonald's in the modern style. They've been doing this to a ton of their restaurants. No more tacky McDonald's roof from the 70s-80s and big sign up front, and I imagine the City will force them to be more urban and place the new restaurant right up to the sidewalk on Orange.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, metal93 said:

For 2504 S Orange they're going to tear it down and build a new McDonald's in the modern style. They've been doing this to a ton of their restaurants. No more tacky McDonald's roof from the 70s-80s and big sign up front, and I imagine the City will force them to be more urban and place the new restaurant right up to the sidewalk on Orange.

I wonder if they'll keep the historic pictures of old downtown on the walls inside.

I'm not sure I like all these modernized conversions. 

Sometimes old style is preferable to me.

But then again, I'm old too.... :rolleyes:

Edited by JFW657
fix stupid autocorrect error
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Thanks for the update.   I'm not sure what to expect as far as urban form.  The new Arby's is set back much more than I had expected it to be.

I spoke to management about that.  They kept enough of the existing structure that they weren't forced to update the setback.  I don't love it, but if the patio actually gets used, I don't mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

The first 4 lots on Orange ( the plaza, Insurance and 321 Creative) as well as the first 3 lots on Hollenback (including 1810), are all under different LLCs but have the same mailing address... which is the offices of http://visiondandm.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1