Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 10/9/2017 at 4:42 PM, codypet said:

I know for a fact a very vocal minority against the idea did make themselves heard when the petition was first announced.   I suspect the city was trying to either make everyone happy or couldn't get FDOT to agree to painting nonstandard colors on the crosswalk.  I suspect the latter was the case.

I know Edgewater has pink crosswalks but best of my knowledge Edgewater is a City road and Orange is SR 527.

If you ask me, if they're gonna do it, then do it right, and not on the cheap.  In Daytona, they redid intersections along A1A with color molded brick pavers.  They've got shades of blue, etc., and the bricks are molded in those colors so there is no paint nor fading.  I would do it like that.  On a side note, I would not do what they did to the Bandshell (I think WDW did that, though) with cheap looking rainbow colors on a building that should've been clad or retrofitted in brick, and then hang rainbow banners or whatever.  The Bandshell in Daytona is an historic masterpiece clad in coquina etc., yet the bandshell at Lake Eola looks like a piece of crap- now, more so than before.

That being said, if they do the sidewalk, they need to do it with quality materials.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

The last remnants of pre-annexed Orange County south of Pineloch are now demoed. Southern Oaks Gun and Pawn has been flattened.   Cheers.

Edit: I guess that billboard will be the last remnant for now.

IMG_4415.JPG

Orange Ave. South of Michigan St always struck me as such a rude transition from a somewhat urban fabric (even when it included a Zayre  with huge neon letters on top and the entrance to a drive-in theater) to a half-suburban, half-rural mish mash. It's been quite a transition the last few years.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Saw this report on ch 9 news yesterday.

The opening sentence that got cut off said something like "We got to see yesterday what the area south of downtown will look like....." (years from now).

VID_20171109_123608.mp4

That's not a business owner talking. He works for the city. Maybe it was an honest  mistake by the station. 

6 hours ago, Mark Baratelli said:

That's not a business owner talking. He works for the city. Maybe it was an honest  mistake by the station. 

I dunno. 

Linkedin has him listed as a developer in a hotel and a restaurant in the area in question, so who knows?

He's also a board member on the Downtown South Neighborhood Improvement District, so I suppose he has some relevant input.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

The real question is how can we get a copy of that PowerPoint!

Not Orlando-specific, but the illustrations shown in the video are from Galina Tachieva's Sprawl Repair Manual. You can actually read the whole thing in PDF here--great ideas and beautiful illustrations, if not always the most realistic in terms of implementation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read on NextDoor that the East Coast Wings location is rumored to become a drivethru Panera.   This would replace the existing Panera in the Market at Southside strip.

With Bealls and Panera possibly both gone...would be a great time to tear it down :P  The SoDo vision plan has a much nicer idea 

IMG_4584.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I read on NextDoor that the East Coast Wings location is rumored to become a drivethru Panera.   This would replace the existing Panera in the Market at Southside strip.

With Bealls and Panera possibly both gone...would be a great time to tear it down :P  The SoDo vision plan has a much nicer idea 

Personally I'd like to see an Aldi's go into the Bealls location. 

Assuming the uber-conservative Carusos still own Southside Center, we probably shouldn't hold our breaths. It's a splendid thought, though. My own personal fantasy would be to restore the little strip center across the street and the old post office to their 1950's heydays. 

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Assuming the uber-conservative Carusos still own Southside Center, we probably shouldn't hold our breaths. It's a splendid thought, though. My own personal fantasy would be to restore the little strip center across the street and the old post office to their 1950's heydays. 

Being that I've now moved and reside on the backside of the aforementioned little strip center, got any fun knowledge about said heydays?

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Being that I've now moved and reside on the backside of the aforementioned little strip center, got any fun knowledge about said heydays?

Not really - I just liked the scale of those smaller centers like that one, Coytown and Western Way. They were still somewhat pedestrian-friendly and then minimum parking requirements (which CityLab and Strong Towns have been on a tear about lately) blew up and required acres of parking at places like Colonial Plaza and Parkwood Plaza, killing any notion of walking to the store.

Edited by spenser1058
Btw - congrats on the move! That's a neat little 'hood back there.