Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

And now that Lucerne Pavillion is closing, there will be discussions about whether or not they should sell the property or rebuild depending on what the board decides. Either way, it's definitely an under-utilized piece of property; much like the Orlando Sentinel site.

• 3 weeks later...

Proposed hotel on Orange Ave wedged between the building with Docs Main Street grill and the 7-story office building to the south of Docs. Essentially Docs current patio.

Phase 1 is the new building (8 stories) with a ground floor lobby and 60 rooms.

Phase 2 includes building 2 more levels on top of the 3-story building with Docs with 25 more hotel rooms. Plans also call for exterior renovations for existing buildings on the block.

Hotel parking would be in existing garage behind buildings and connected by a bridge.

Potential bridge connection over Orange Ave as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Today's OBJ listed a building permit to Hembree Construction at 2609 S Orange Ave. "Orange Ave Medical Building" no other info but the cost estimate - 893,803.

This location is currently a 1 story strip containing a Play It Again Sports

More info on Downtown South happenings per a facebook conversation that started up on it. The Play it Again Sports location will be a Florida Hospital Centra Care; one of the strips on Michigan just east or Orange will become an AT&T store and the existing outdoor laundromat will be enclosed. Thirdly - there may be a "wing place" going in the former location of Taqueria Del Sol and O'Boys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like the SoDo area Wendy's may be replaced with a new one. Can't wait for renderings - not sure if it will come closer to street or if drive through will change like the newer ones that don't cause a driveway onto Orange.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/MPB/2013/09Sep/MPB2013SepRecapRev3.pdf

Got to hear more about the aforementioned Wendy's this evening. The permitting and public hearing process will go through the rest of the year and the existing Wendys will come down and a new one will be built up to Orange Ave with the reverse drive through behind the store (like the Sodo Taco Bell). They are acquiring a rental property behind Einsteins to create a new exit out to Kaley and both the Kaley and Orange Ave exits will be right turn only.

• 4 weeks later...

And now that Lucerne Pavillion is closing, there will be discussions about whether or not they should sell the property or rebuild depending on what the board decides. Either way, it's definitely an under-utilized piece of property; much like the Orlando Sentinel site.

If history is any indication I'm certain the board will look carefully and decide that whatever decision drives the most business to Florida Hospital is the way to go.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A little south of Downtown South but McWells at Orange and Gatlin is being replaced by Friendly Confines (which has a few other central Florida locations) and I heard back from East Coast Wings, which has already opened near Avalon Park and the S Orange location should be opening around April in the old OBoyd/Taqueria Del Sol spot.

A little south of Downtown South but McWells at Orange and Gatlin is being replaced by Friendly Confines (which has a few other central Florida locations) and I heard back from East Coast Wings, which has already opened near Avalon Park and the S Orange location should be opening around April in the old OBoyd/Taqueria Del Sol spot.

Already posted in the coffeehouse under bars... but...

don't forget about Ollie's Public House #2 in the old Perkin's/TommyAddison's.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Copley Square mean anything for this area?  I can't decide.  It's 60+ townhouses right there but I feel like Michigan is too far gone to become a practical pedestrian friendly street.  Perhaps eventual Lymmo or shuttle service with SunRail will eventually link this portion of the city to the rest of downtown (there's a large county complex near thee that must employ a ton of people)

Copley Squre is an empty promise. Developer has the concept but doesnt have the money for it. The first row of the houses on Michigan look nice but it is no copley sqare. Now they finished the project and it looks more like a suburban apartment than Copley Square. Personally, I almost bought the townhouse across from SODO.

LYMMOs southern expansion will bring it close to the project - it will loop around the Market at Southside which includes a proposed stop on Michigan between Delaney and Orange. It's a one way loop like Link 3 is, the stop will be in front of the plaza with Ross and Panera.

The County complex is probably too far to the east to ever be considered part of anything bigger. And what is there - Dr G. medical examiner and a juvie center right?

Edited by Jernigan

• 2 months later...

Proposed Noodles restaurant (www.noodles.com) - 2682 sq ft - as a new parcel at the Market @ Southside close to Orange between Chick Fil A and PNC. Currently just parking

Did anything ever happen with this?  A couple of Noodles &Cos have already opened elsewhere I notice.. but this sorta died?  

Edited by brainpathology

Does Copley Square mean anything for this area?  I can't decide.  It's 60+ townhouses right there but I feel like Michigan is too far gone to become a practical pedestrian friendly street.  Perhaps eventual Lymmo or shuttle service with SunRail will eventually link this portion of the city to the rest of downtown (there's a large county complex near thee that must employ a ton of people)

It means 66 more families (hard not to imagine most are families of some sort, or at least more than one person per unit, since they are all 3 or 4 bedroom townhomes), in a development that died back in 2008ish.  It can't be anything but a net positive.  

They ARE blocky and suburban looking, I suppose, although I typically rule out townhomes of any kind in my definition of suburban.  They are taller than most around downtown at 3 stories and are "relatively" inexpensive.  They have forgone the rooftop decks that the earlier units all have which seems like a waste in this climate (or a good idea with all the rain - I imagine it's difficult to keep that much water from eventually wearing down the roof).  As fast as these are selling maybe the ones at Orange and Harding may be next.  I could see similar developments doing well next to ORMC if what I've read about rezoning some of that industrial area as part of the SODO long range vision is actually going to happen.  

That area of Michigan is a lot more walkable than I thought it was.  Within a mile of that area are parks, schools, food, shopping etc.  The look of Michigan certainly screams "DON'T WALK HERE" though.  I imagine whenever I am there how much different the street would look if the zoning mandated zero lot lines for structures but let you have as much parking as you wanted behind buildings.  The exact same developments that are there now would instantly look like a pedestrian friendly commercial node street without losing anything of the actual functionality for cars that Orlando and the rest of the South simply has no choice but to accommodate for now.  

• 2 weeks later...

They look like the townhouses found in the DMV region. I don't hate them, but I'm not exactly inspired either. I wonder why they put all that yard in the from rather than the back where they traditionally belong. Why the hesitation to build to the street in Orlando? Seems to me that the less grass to concern ones self with the more time to pursue ones true interests.

Edited by mrh3

Things are apparently not all happy in NID land....Downtown South is seeing a potential divide of "northerners" (408' to Kaley) led by Orlando Health and "southerners" (Kaley to Pineloch) let by the retail space giants. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The hospital holds the cards seemingly by design but the retailers aren't going to go out without a fight