Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

HAHA. 

I'm really hoping it's open by August/September - as depending on price - it's somewhere I would 100% look at to move. We shall see. Can't wait to see the floor plans/pricing. 

I just can't wait to experience the dynamic of two downtown grocers in full operation.  What a fantastic step in the right direction.

32 minutes ago, codypet said:

Have you seen the new format Winn Dixie's?  For once a Winn Dixie that doesn't suck.  I wouldn't mind seeing something like that downtown either.

New as in 7-8 years ago when they did the wood floors and the cheese guy?  Or do they have a new urban store?

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

New as in 7-8 years ago when they did the wood floors and the cheese guy?  Or do they have a new urban store?

The parent company, Southeastern Grocers, has been struggling of late, so not sure how much expansion W-D will do going forward. OTOH, Sears demonstrates a dead store walking can wander forward for years before someone puts it out of its misery.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2017/11/14/analyst-southeastern-grocers-will-not-be-around-in.amp.html

From Jacksonville Business Journal

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The parent company, Southeastern Grocers, has been struggling of late, so not sure how much expansion W-D will do going forward. OTOH, Sears demonstrates a dead store walking can wander forward for years before someone puts it out of its misery.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2017/11/14/analyst-southeastern-grocers-will-not-be-around-in.amp.html

From Jacksonville Business Journal

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into these analyst predictions.   One such analyst said early this year that Amazon will acquire Target this year and the press ran with it.  How feasible would that be really?

14 minutes ago, codypet said:

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into these analyst predictions.   One such analyst said early this year that Amazon will acquire Target this year and the press ran with it.  How feasible would that be really?

I tend to agree with you but Southeastern Grocers has been in trouble for a while and the private equity fund behind it has been looking for an exit strategy for some time. The lower end of the market is really being squeezed by Walmart, Aldi/Lidl and the dollar stores. It's not a great place to compete.

22 hours ago, Jernigan said:

There’s also Freshfield Farms, Target and Walmart grocery all extremely close.  

On the subject of retail grocers in the SODO, Orange & Michigan area, there is a vacant retail space in the strip center at Market at Southside where Bealls Outlet used to be. After checking out the real estate opportunities section of Aldi's website and seeing that the space seems to meet all their requirements almost perfectly and that they welcome suggestions for their "aggressive expansion plans", I put a bug in the ears, via email, of both the regional contact rep for Aldi's as well as the contact at the commercial real estate agency that handles the Market at Southside property. 

Don't know if it will result in anything, but I did get a reply from the real estate agency contact, thanking me and saying that she will be "looking into it".

So, who knows. 

But... for any Aldi's lovers who would like to see an Aldi's in SODO, if it happens, you'll know who to thank. For any Aldi's haters who would not like to see an Aldi's in that area, you'll know who to blame.  :D

• Like 2

More on  the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat that's leading to the impending demise of dozens, if not hundreds, of Winn-Dixie stores, once so ubiquitous it dubbed itself "America's Supermarket" (curiously, it never really got out of the South) :

http://www.ajc.com/business/company-that-owns-winn-dixie-grocery-close-200-stores/bDBVqomSWVgFXU7eLlBowN/amp.html

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Kinda sad. Winn Dixie has been around forever. I've been shopping at the Curry Ford Rd store near Bumby for over thirty years. I don't do my main shopping there, but it's so close to my house that it's convenient for when I just have to pick up a couple of things and don't want to drive all the way to Publix or WNM. I hope that WD isn't one of the ones getting shut down.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

My parents met at a Winn-Dixie they worked at on Jackson St (long since gone - it seems to have been where the ramp to BB&T parking is now). They refused to shop anywhere else even as they grumbled at how bad the stores got over the years. 

I once saw a picture of the old downtown WD and I thought it was on Rosalind either where the Orange County Administration Building is, or more likely, the parking lot one block north, between Church and Pine.

Kinda sad. Winn Dixie has been around forever. I've been shopping at the Curry Ford Rd store near Bumby for over thirty years. I don't do my main shopping there, but it's so close to my house that it's convenient for when I just have to pick up a couple of things and don't want to drive all the way to Publix or WNM. I hope that WD isn't one of the ones getting shut down.

That WD is also right around the corner from my house. I agree it'd be a loss for the neighborhood if it were to close (not to mention all the jobs that would be lost) and could negatively impact the positive changes that have taken place in the area recently. However, the store is in a sad state and was eclipsed by other grocery stores long ago.

If it does close, I'd most love a Trader Joe's or Fresh Market in the neighborhood, but realistically it'd probably be most ripe for Lidl if they move into Orlando anytime soon. I don't think the residential demographic of the area interests TJ or FM.
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I once saw a picture of the old downtown WD and I thought it was on Rosalind either where the Orange County Administration Building is, or more likely, the parking lot one block north, between Church and Pine.

Yes, that would have been the W-D that replaced my parents'. It was torn down, I believe, for a parking lot for what was the Southeast Bank building (now PNC.)

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Fun fact: that Curry Ford W-D started out as an A&P (I soooo miss Jane Parker Cheese Bread!) It replaced the W-D in Dover Center at CF and Crystal Lake.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

That WD is also right around the corner from my house. I agree it'd be a loss for the neighborhood if it were to close (not to mention all the jobs that would be lost) and could negatively impact the positive changes that have taken place in the area recently. However, the store is in a sad state and was eclipsed by other grocery stores long ago.

If it does close, I'd most love a Trader Joe's or Fresh Market in the neighborhood, but realistically it'd probably be most ripe for Lidl if they move into Orlando anytime soon. I don't think the residential demographic of the area interests TJ or FM.

I had never even heard of Lidl prior to reading your post. At first I assumed you meant to type Aldi, but there was some kind of typo glitch. I Googled it and sure enough, there it was. Currently three in the Orlando area. Sounds like a decent place and one that I'd enjoy shopping at. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1