Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 12/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, jgardnerucf said:

Not at grade also! What a fo-pa! Tacky storage down the street at 50/ros gets the at grade, and the trailer park here gets raised for a miniature sbux and pdq! Lol. Kinda disappointed.

I don't think I knew that was gonna be a PDQ.  Good to know!   I agree about raising the site.  What was the point of that?  Southern Oaks was at grade!

3 hours ago, gibby said:

Water table was a bit high.

Can you elaborate - what are the alternatives?   Why is everything else in the area at grade?  I’ve noticed some other stuff in the area like the Jimmy Johns plaza and the Starbucks also raised while adjacent stuff isn’t.  Truly just interested to learn more 

Their retention pond is located underground, beneath the parking lot.  The bottom of that underground pond needs to be at least a foot or so above the water table so that ended up dictating the grade of the center.  Putting the retention underground typically means that the site is about 2-3 feet higher than a comparable site with a normal surface retention pond (like the Wawa across the street).  Older developments nearby don't have retention ponds so they often tend to be closer to a normal street grade.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gibby said:

Their retention pond is located underground, beneath the parking lot.  The bottom of that underground pond needs to be at least a foot or so above the water table so that ended up dictating the grade of the center.  Putting the retention underground typically means that the site is about 2-3 feet higher than a comparable site with a normal surface retention pond (like the Wawa across the street).  Older developments nearby don't have retention ponds so they often tend to be closer to a normal street grade.

So how do they build an underground retention pond? Is it a network of concrete chambers connected by pipes that go farther underground and allow the water to seep downward?

I'm thinking of something similar to a septic tank drain field.

Or maybe something like this? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzccCmNEOkDSjgVe2n_HN

First I've heard of it.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:36 PM, gibby said:

Water table was a bit high.

Oh wow! I wouldn't have guessed that!  I thought the site was pretty high and dry. Doesn't Wawa and Publix have dry ponds?  When I design ponds I like to have at least 2-3 feet of clearance from the pond bottom before I hit the SHWT.  Of course drawdown is affected and could throw the whole thing out the window.  But you're right, if your chambers are trying to hold the treatment and attenuation volume AND are still trying to meet minimum cover over the chambers, then yeah, you're raising the site a good bit.  Part of the reason a certain drainage improvement project on the north side of town is gonna get shinny new ponds instead of exfiltration.

Edited by codypet

On 9/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, Jernigan said:

Last month 1751 S Orange sold to “Avenue Retail Development, LLC” - a change of use for this office would make the entire 1701 block of Orange between Hollenbeck and Kaley retail!

5851498A-4BD3-481B-A90B-65934C2D406D.png

To circle back on this...this building was 11,860 sq ft.

Orlando Health just applied for a permit to build a new imaging center across the street in an empty lot they own.  6700 sq ft.

No movement on the building that was sold yet.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 11:07 PM, Jernigan said:

Boom goes the dynamite.

72AB2057-7F59-45B7-B410-9DAD1231DDFE.jpeg

7 months later and this thing hasn’t gone vertical yet - BUT they have leased a suite.

Looks like U Break I Fix will be moving from their nook in SoDo Plaza to the corner of Orange & Michigan.

• Like 2