Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

It was a Checkers, one of the firsts. Just relocated it after getting a design down. That was like a beta test build location.

It was called Rally's when it first opened back in the mid 80's.

Same company as Checkers, though.

Then the "new" Checkers opened up farther north on Orange across from McDonald's.

As someone who has lived in places with both Rally's and Checkers, they weren't originally the same.  Now they are owned by the same company and even look the same.  Back in the 90s, Rally's were different and even looked different.  Now they have blended.

They have always been virtually identical concepts, though.

I've often wondered why they don't just 100% merge.  Although, I haven't eaten at either in probably 15 years.

More food options is good, it's a shame it's a tired, old concept like Gators instead of something new.  A friend's daughter worked at the one in Waterford and said it's a ghost town most of the time.

I just googled them and it looks like they are expanding again after most of them disappearing a few years ago.  Their menu appears to be pretty similar to the one they had when I stopped eating there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando Amtrak Station Restoration Project Kickoff

WHAT:

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, District 4 City Commissioner Patty Sheehan, Florida Department of Transportation, Orlando Health and Amtrak will join together on Wednesday, September 24 to officially kickoff the Orlando Amtrak Station Restoration Project.

As part of the kickoff, Mayor Dyer and Commissioner Sheehan will work-along with the contractor, The Collage Companies, to remove one of the historic windows. The window will be refurbished and later reinstalled as part of the reconstruction project.

The Orlando Amtrak Station, built in 1926, provides long distance rail service to approximately 160,500 passengers a year. The renovation will restore and preserve the historic heritage of the building as well as improve accessibility to the building and concourse and connectivity with the Orlando Health SunRail Station. Construction is expected to be complete in the fall 2015.

WHO:

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer

District 4 City Commissioner Patty Sheehan

Florida Department of Transportation Director of Transportation Operations Alan Hyman

Orlando Health Interim President & CEO Jamal Hakim, MD

Amtrak Station Manager Noah Bradshaw

WHEN:

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

11:00 a.m.

WHERE:

Historic Amtrak Station

1400 Sligh Boulevard

• Like 1

i would rather have fresh market and just hope it is urban setting and no surface parking like millspark or half ass attempt like Sodo

I love urbanism as much as the next guy, but how do you propose having no surface parking at the Lucerne Pavilion space?  There's no foot traffic there at all, but no matter the end result of the PD, there won't be enough need for a garage, except for maybe something like that "half ass attempt" at Sodo.

Regarding setbacks and stuff (like Fresh Market on Mills)...does this project fall into a traditional city overlay that might protect things like building to the street - in a way that Mills Park wasnt?

The Wendy's rebuild on Kaley/Orange moved it closer to the street with a tucked away drive through...so that is a good sign?

I love urbanism as much as the next guy, but how do you propose having no surface parking at the Lucerne Pavilion space?  There's no foot traffic there at all, but no matter the end result of the PD, there won't be enough need for a garage, except for maybe something like that "half ass attempt" at Sodo.

Exactly.  Things have to take natural steps or they are doomed to fail.

Regarding setbacks and stuff (like Fresh Market on Mills)...does this project fall into a traditional city overlay that might protect things like building to the street - in a way that Mills Park wasnt?

The Wendy's rebuild on Kaley/Orange moved it closer to the street with a tucked away drive through...so that is a good sign?

I think it does but so does Mills. The out parcels are built to the street. 

Why do everything has to put cars in priority? We worry about no parkings everytime something get built in this town.

I know that's the mentality of USA. Some drastic changes are needed to create a great city.

After the failure of Amway Areana, we have DPAC and Amway Center with no parkings. Thats a good direction. If you dont force it, nobody will use public transport. People that live half a mile from Mills park or trader joe probably drive to the those location as well.

I am not saying not putting any parkings at all. It should be a multi level garage with retails underneath, or underground parking if they want to go that route. And for my half ass attempted at Sodo, it has great urban elements until you come to the three outparcels that fronting Orange Ave.

Things can take natural step to evolve but we will always behind the curve. Experimenting and pushing the boundary is what get you a first rated city.

• Like 1

OH recently notified employees the Pavilion building (818 Main Ln) will be demolished. I have no idea if the property will still be redeveloped during Phase II, or if they're razing the building early in order to incorporate the lot into Phase I.

Edited by nite owℓ

OH recently notified employees the Pavilion building (818 Main Ln) will be demolished. I have no idea if the property will still be redeveloped during Phase II, or if they're razing the building early in order to incorporate the lot into Phase I.

That's pretty good news.  In all seriousness, they could raze about 10-15 full blocks of buildings down there and it would still not be enough.

Someone in Orlando was asleep at the wheel when they let all that garbage go in so haphazardly and hilly-nilly.  I'm assuming this was the typical Orlando expansion era of the late-50s to early-70s where are the buildings are pretty much the lowest quality possible and built randomly with no sort of overall vision.

Why do everything has to put cars in priority? We worry about no parkings everytime something get built in this town.

I know that's the mentality of USA. Some drastic changes are needed to create a great city.

After the failure of Amway Areana, we have DPAC and Amway Center with no parkings. Thats a good direction. If you dont force it, nobody will use public transport. People that live half a mile from Mills park or trader joe probably drive to the those location as well.

I am not saying not putting any parkings at all. It should be a multi level garage with retails underneath, or underground parking if they want to go that route. And for my half ass attempted at Sodo, it has great urban elements until you come to the three outparcels that fronting Orange Ave.

Things can take natural step to evolve but we will always behind the curve. Experimenting and pushing the boundary is what get you a first rated city.

Eh, I suppose we'll just have to disagree.  In a city without great transit, cars are a way of life and will continue to be for decades to come.  I'd love to see a multi-level garage with retail incorporated, but I don't think there'd be enough demand to support it.

Also, DPAC and Amway aren't valid comparisons because there's already 10k+ garage spots within walking distance.  That's normal for a downtown.  There's none near the Pavilion site.  (Not to mention, wasn't the Geico Garage built with Amway?)

And I'll agree that the outparcels facing Orange as part of SoDo aren't great.  Except the Taco Bell.  I like the Taco Bell.  I also have a problem with liking TB too much in general.

Edited by AndyPok1
  • Like 1