Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

Yes, the floors are considerably taller, most likely because it is MOB space, which along with hospital, usually has higher floor-to-floor heights due to needs for specialty equipment like imaging equipment or radiology that require higher floor-to-floor height for shielding and things like higher above ceiling space for MEP systems such as specialty ductwork, med-gas, and maybe installation space for prefab stacks. To allow for future expansion and flexibility in an MOB, in which they may not yet know what tenants will be moving in, extra ceiling space is usually included in areas to easily convert the buildings for various uses that might need more room or more technical equipment installed. This is especially true on the ground floors, where they would usually put heavy imaging equipment. 

• Thanks 1

Here’s the council workshop presentation from the NID manager with the slides included.

I think this is worth watching even if you aren’t interested in SoDo.  They talk a lot about lessons learned in the NID process and that ultimately it’s going great in meeting it’s goal of driving development that the community wants.

https://youtu.be/UqCyIYskEuo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SantiStark said:

I suppose we're losing that cute red roofed building where Thai Stop was? That's a shame. The building has character, great street activation, and potential for cool redevelopment. I always thought this area would  organically make such a great neighborhood with its small blocks, proximity to transit and jobs. I wish Orlando Health had a more comprehensive development plan instead of this piecemeal business. A couple of "The Yard" projects would look great in this area!

That seems to be the trend around here. We're slowly losing all the cool little buildings and places that remind us of old Orlando. Better get a picture or two of it now, as it will probably be only a memory a year from now.

That's what I've started doing. Taking Street View screen shots of all these places that aren't long for this world. 

Wish I'd started sooner.

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, the floors are considerably taller, most likely because it is MOB space, which along with hospital, usually has higher floor-to-floor heights due to needs for specialty equipment like imaging equipment or radiology that require higher floor-to-floor height for shielding and things like higher above ceiling space for MEP systems such as specialty ductwork, med-gas, and maybe installation space for prefab stacks. To allow for future expansion and flexibility in an MOB, in which they may not yet know what tenants will be moving in, extra ceiling space is usually included in areas to easily convert the buildings for various uses that might need more room or more technical equipment installed. This is especially true on the ground floors, where they would usually put heavy imaging equipment. 

So, in reality that's more like a 7 or 8 story building in terms of height.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

That seems to be the trend around here. We're slowly losing all the cool little buildings and places that remind us of old Orlando. Better get a picture or two of it now, as it will probably be only a memory a year from now.

That's what I've started doing. Taking Street View screen shots of all these places that aren't long for this world. 

Wish I'd started sooner.

What red roofed building?  Brick and Fire/Pizza Hut/Moe's?  The aforementioned Starbucks is the one across from SODO? Orlando Health owns that building?!?!

47 minutes ago, codypet said:

What red roofed building?  Brick and Fire/Pizza Hut/Moe's?  The aforementioned Starbucks is the one across from SODO? Orlando Health owns that building?!?!

I think he was talking about the little building with the clay tile roof across from Amtrak at Sligh and Copeland...

Screenshot-Capture-2019-01-30-15-55-16-5

• Like 1

So let me preface this question with a little bit of background and justification. I drive often on the 408 westbound and I frequently get a look at the skyline. From my vantage point on the 408, it looks like the skyline only extends on the right hand side.  There is a little bit of development in the SoDo area, but nothing close to a skyscraper or even a high-rise. So basically, it looks like downtown stops after the 408/I-4 exchange, which we know isn’t true.

So my question is, do you all think there will ever be high-rise developments in the SoDo area? And for people that are familiar with the unofficial “height limit” due to the airport, does that height limit also extend to the immediate south of downtown area?

31 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

So let me preface this question with a little bit of background and justification. I drive often on the 408 westbound and I frequently get a look at the skyline. From my vantage point on the 408, it looks like the skyline only extends on the right hand side.  There is a little bit of development in the SoDo area, but nothing close to a skyscraper or even a high-rise. So basically, it looks like downtown stops after the 408/I-4 exchange, which we know isn’t true.

So my question is, do you all think there will ever be high-rise developments in the SoDo area? And for people that are familiar with the unofficial “height limit” due to the airport, does that height limit also extend to the immediate south of downtown area?

The Frederick administration set up zoning codes in the 1980’s with the specific goal of promoting density in the core with room to grow moving toward uptown.

The codes also had an ancillary goal of protecting Eola Heights, Lake Lawsona/Thornton Park, Parramore and Lake Davis/Cherokee/Delaney Park.

It was a win/win (except for the property speculators and developers who screamed bloody murder when it was done) because it both promoted density downtown and preserved the traditional neighborhoods.

IIRC, there are also six historic districts sprinkled in those areas.

For the most part, the guidelines have been respected and, so far, there hasn’t been much of an effort to undo them.

If you want tall buildings downtown and you believe the historic neighborhoods are sacrosanct, it’s something best not fiddled with.

Like  holding a constitutional convention to fix things like the Electoral College, the fear is that once you open up Pandora’s box, the “cure” may be worse than the disease.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

True but the area around the tracks is fair game and that is where you’ll see more height between Lucerne and Michigan.   No skyscrapers but potentially 10-20 stories I believe.   I’ll pull the information later tonight concerning density bonuses for the area west of Orange Ave.

• Thanks 1

Excited for this.   Publix has been more annoying to shop at since the remodel.

Also, thanks to JFW catching the address on the strip fronting Pineloch (that’s an Orange Ave address though) I took a look at permits to see what was building out there:

- Club Pilates

- Polished Nail Bar (another relocation from a few blocks north?)

- Little Greek

- SoDo Smiles dentistry 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Excited for this.   Publix has been more annoying to shop at since the remodel.

Also, thanks to JFW catching the address on the strip fronting Pineloch (that’s an Orange Ave address though) I took a look at permits to see what was building out there:

- Club Pilates

- Polished Nail Bar (another relocation from a few blocks north?)

- Little Greek

- SoDo Smiles dentistry 

So, one out of four of those businesses might be of actual interest. 

Great. <_<

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

*Waits anxiously for JFW’s dish on getting Lucky today*

The extent of my "luckiness" was a couple of samples and a free gallon jug of spring water. 

Not a bad place at all. The prices vary from pretty good to a bit high, but plenty of brands and products you can't get elsewhere, though I'm sure everyone already knows that from having been to other Lucky's stores.

Anyway, I'll be checking the weekly ad circulars, the first of which I just got with my free OS sale paper and coupons, and if I see something on sale that I'd like to try, I'll head over that way when I go to WNM.

Almost bought a small, gluten/high fructose corn syrup/artificial ingredient/etc, etc, etc - free, non-GMO, made with organic cocoa beans locally grown (in Cocoa, btw) by a cooperative that donates all the profits to local charities....  chocolate cheesecake for $4 bucks, but decided agin' it.

Maybe if they still have them this weekend, I'll try one.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1