Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 7/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, JFW657 said:

If people would use their heads and exercise the level of caution that walking along and across busy roadways requires, these accidents wouldn't happen with anywhere near the frequency that they do.

People want to blame the evil cars and their evil drivers.

Local governments keep on thinking there's some magical roadway and traffic engineering method or formula that will alter drivers' habits, resulting in significantly lower numbers of pedestrian related accidents.

But in the end, it still comes down to the behavior of the pedestrians themselves. 

It's really simple... Don't step onto the road in front of cars. 

If you're too far away from a crosswalk and you need to cross, take a deep breath, tell yourself to be patient. Wait until there are no cars coming for a good hundred or two hundred yards in either direction. Look both ways several times, even as you're crossing, and then... move your ass!!!

If you've got a dog who won't move, pick him up and carry him.

If he's too big, drag him.

But sadly, as we see being demonstrated with greater and greater frequency as time passes, you just can't fix stupid.

it happened to me by the Publix downtown last week.  I was SB on Lake at Pine St.  I was approaching the stop sign.  There was no one there on either side of the street.  Apparently, someone had started crossing the street from the Paramount to my left before I had even completed my stop.  When I turned my head left again, i was stunned as the  ped was literally almost in front of my car.  I almost had a heart attack b/c if I was going to roll the stop sign, she would have ended up in the hospital.  I don't trust cars and I don't trust peds.  Ditto on everything you said in your post.  It was a lesson to me to be even more careful in the future b/c in this scenario, the ped was either walking SB along Lake and then quickly darted into the crosswalk, or she was EB on Pine around the corner of the Paramount where I couldn't see her, and then darted into the crosswalk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

it happened to me by the Publix downtown last week.  I was SB on Lake at Pine St.  I was approaching the stop sign.  There was no one there on either side of the street.  Apparently, someone had started crossing the street from the Paramount to my left before I had even completed my stop.  When I turned my head left again, i was stunned as the  ped was literally almost in front of my car.  I almost had a heart attack b/c if I was going to roll the stop sign, she would have ended up in the hospital.  I don't trust cars and I don't trust peds.  Ditto on everything you said in your post.  It was a lesson to me to be even more careful in the future b/c in this scenario, the ped was either walking SB along Lake and then quickly darted into the crosswalk, or she was EB on Pine around the corner of the Paramount where I couldn't see her, and then darted into the crosswalk.

And you'd soon be getting a letter in the mail from Morgan, Newlin & Munns informing you of the impending lawsuit. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

That intersection gives me so much anxiety. People rarely pay attention when walking/scootering/biking, but the drivers usually aren't either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Thanks for sharing the photos. My husband and I enjoy walking a lot but we'll wait for some shade on this trail. Probably a long wait. LOL

Good point about going on a Sunday instead of a weekday with all the businesses along Division there.

No worries. Definitely no shade there (unless you walk back and forth beneath that large saved oak between 18th and 19th street).  Looking foward to see how it integrates with the Urban Trail future plans. Also...weekends are definitely best for this section of trail to be sure. Cheers.

Just now, Jernigan said:

How was the sand/dirt? That is always my concern in that area - might need to wear eyewear.

Nothing to speak of...at least not the day that I rode it. Clean as a whistle. The only eyewear needed might be motion sensors to detect trucks/vans entering your peripheral vision if you bike during the week. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

The proposed project that includes the old Nassal property was mentioned here a few weeks back. Now Craig Ustler says he is involved in it. I think this makes it more likely to get done.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/08/10/florida-developer-craig-ustler-sodo-orlando-projec.html

On 6/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, AmIReal said:

Yesterday I drove by the Nassal property at Kaley and Division and wondered what was going on with it. I knew they sold it, but I hadn't heard any update in a while.

Today GS reports, "Centre Corp is looking to convert a SoDo industrial site across from the future Pulse Memorial into a mixed-use development with up to 856 residential units." "The site stretches from S. Division Avenue to Atlanta Avenue. It would be developed in two phases and would include ground-floor commercial, live-work units, a potential library or co-working space, ground-floor amenities, a linear park and a shared parking garage." Of course it is being designed by B&B. The buildings would be 7 and 9 stories and include studio, 1,2 and 3 bedroom apartments.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-kaley-mixed-use-sodo-centrecorp-20220628-naqjd67jujgx7nlhgfmnoecmwe-story.html

image.thumb.jpeg.80455719058d8c762c3af4f484b16970.jpeg

• Like 2

Cava opened in the old Zoe's.  I went at 3PM and it was a ghost town.  Food was fine to good-ish.  $14 for a Mediterranean version of a less filling chipotle bowl though... ehhh

John and Johns by the braintrust of Cavos is soft opened in the old Med Blue.  Solid pizza by the slice or pie which we haven't really had in SoDo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Cava opened in the old Zoe's.  I went at 3PM and it was a ghost town.  Food was fine to good-ish.  $14 for a Mediterranean version of a less filling chipotle bowl though... ehhh

John and Johns by the braintrust of Cavos is soft opened in the old Med Blue.  Solid pizza by the slice or pie which we haven't really had in SoDo.

I tried it for lunch on Tue and thought it was very good- significantly better than Zoe although I think the pita is too dense (chewy). 

"John and John" and Mark... can't wait to get by there. What name did they go with? Hopefully not Cavo's seeing as they are so near Cava.

15 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

My wife is addicted to it. Shes been like 4 times already.

21 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

What? You had pizza by the slice at Cornerstone for a decade now.

My ex said it was horrible, but you had it.

6 hours ago, codypet said:

What? You had pizza by the slice at Cornerstone for a decade now.

My ex said it was horrible, but you had it.

Cornerstone had pizza by the slice back about 15 years or so ago, maybe longer, and it was pretty good back then.

I heard the original owner was a really young guy who got killed in a car wreck or something.

Maybe someone else knows.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that there was usually a fly or two buzzing around in there.

Saw one land on a pizza once.

I think that was the last time I went in there.

But I liked the pizza. 

Edited by JFW657

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Cornerstone had pizza by the slice back about 15 years or so ago, maybe longer, and it was pretty good back then.

I heard the original owner was a really young guy who got killed in a car wreck or something.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that there was usually a fly or two buzzing around in there.

But I liked the pizza. 

I agree. Cornerstone was our Friday night go to for awhile but the last time we ordered from there (gotta be 5 years ago by now) it was horrible. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JFW657 said:

But I liked the pizza. 

6L1c.gif

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Had to go down to Orange & Gatlin this morning for a medical appointment in the Water's Edge Plaza.

It was nice to see how that center, as well as Fort Gatlin Plaza next door, have both been resurrected from the dead.

I seem recall not too many years ago, how both were pretty much abandoned and deserted.

Now, Water's Edge is fully occupied, mostly with medical related businesses, but that's better than a ghost town.

Fort Gatlin is thriving too, with almost all drinking and dining establishments. 

Some pretty decent looking places too. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Had to go down to Orange & Gatlin this morning for a medical appointment in the Water's Edge Plaza.

It was nice to see how that center, as well as Fort Gatlin Plaza next door, have both been resurrected from the dead.

I seem recall not too many years ago, how both were pretty much abandoned and deserted.

Now, Water's Edge is fully occupied, mostly with medical related businesses, but that's better than a ghost town.

Fort Gatlin is thriving too, with almost all drinking and dining establishments. 

Some pretty decent looking places too. 

I still miss the A&P but I’ll get over it…