Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

4 hours ago, angela1117 said:

We really like the Salazar Veterinary Clinic in the Ft. Gatlin plaza. Very caring staff there.

Gatlin Hall Brewing is nice but I find the pizza vendor's long beard very off-putting. 

It's nice to see that plaza alive again!

I know you've mentioned your past profession, but you may not want to peak into any restaurants now days. 90% of the male staff (maybe a few of the female) have beards. 0% wear face coverings. Fyi, the pizza is good, the wings are really good. Besides, I think that 700 degree oven will handle any errant hairs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I know you've mentioned your past profession, but you may not want to peak into any restaurants now days. 90% of the male staff (maybe a few of the female) have beards. 0% wear face coverings. Fyi, the pizza is good, the wings are really good. Besides, I think that 700 degree oven will handle any errant hairs.

LOL...old habits die hard. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, Jernigan said:

Plenty of dirt moving around on the new medical office building on Orange and Harding.  They are also working on the streetscape across the street.  Will look very different and tighten up once all the work is done on both sides.

The garage is vertical

On 11/5/2019 at 8:18 PM, AmIReal said:

Wow, I didn't see this coming. I've always thought the SoDo development was undersized. This would help address the issue.

From GS-

"The 6-acre site is at 215 W Grant St... (would) keep a 29,000-square-foot fully-leased warehouse...  add three new buildings with a combined 50,000 square feet and an industrial-chic vibe...(and) include a second flex warehouse building, an office or micro-brewery and a 12,600-square foot retail/restaurant."

And, yes, its in an opportunity zone.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-sodo-hughes-20191106-pkipv6eedzanjgdgkuhcsspuma-story.html

one of the bldgs in this development just went vertical as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, codypet said:

I think what happens to the project north of there has a lot of bearing on this one.  That said I wouldn't want to be Fontanelli right now.  He's got a bunch of these project that haven't really been going well.  IMO, they have an existing multi use path, and there doesn't need to be another bike trail.   Add the parking and put in some mid-block crosswalks so you can get to lamb from the park side. Parking is a HUGE issue there.   I'm an avid rider there and the lack of crossings there is an issue.  I don't have any problem there finding a place for my bike to ride.  

That leaves Colonial remaining

I still miss the Boston Market downtown *sigh*

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Boston Market at Southside has permanently closed.

Five Guys has also finally closed.  I posted a while back about a new restaurant that is planned to replace it (and reopen the drive through)

1 hour ago, codypet said:

That leaves Colonial remaining

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I still miss the Boston Market downtown *sigh*

Am I correct in thinking that Boston Market food is still available in the grocery store frozen food section?

If one ever gets a craving for meatloaf, mashed potatoes and macaroni & cheese, one can always settle for that.  

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Am I correct in thinking that Boston Market food is still available in the grocery store frozen food section?

If one ever gets a craving for meatloaf, mashed potatoes and macaroni & cheese, one can always settle for that.  

It’s OK as a fallback but not quite the same as fresh, not to mention Boston Market’s signature item is rotisserie chicken which doesn’t lend itself to being frozen.

BM also had a good assortment of fresh veggies, which was unique for a fast-fooder other than Chinese. Which reminds me that we still have Panda Express.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s OK as a fallback but not quite the same as fresh, not to mention Boston Market’s signature item is rotisserie chicken which doesn’t lend itself to being frozen.

BM also had a good assortment of fresh veggies, which was unique for a fast-fooder other than Chinese. Which reminds me that we still have Panda Express.

Any grocery store with a hot food deli dept sells whole, rotisserie chickens including lemon-pepper if one so desires, that are every bit as fresh, juicy and tasty as BM (no, not that kind of BM), for between $6 and $8. 

As for their frozen meatloaf dinner, they're much better if, rather than just chucking it in the microwave in the plastic tray it comes in, you let it thaw, put the contents into a baking dish and use a traditional oven or toaster oven to heat it up.  

If you're like me, you'll need two.  :thumbsup: :P  

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Any grocery store with a hot food deli dept sells whole, rotisserie chickens including lemon-pepper if one so desires, that are every bit as fresh, juicy and tasty as BM (no, not that kind of BM), for between $6 and $8. 

As for their frozen meatloaf dinner, they're much better if, rather than just chucking it in the microwave in the plastic tray it comes in, you let it thaw, put the contents into a baking dish and use a traditional oven or toaster oven to heat it up.  

If you're like me, you'll need two.  :thumbsup: :P  

I always liked the chicken at BM better than Publix but you’re right, you can usually get P’s on sale for less. Most grocery delis don’t get as deep in the sides as BM. Yes, I can go running around the grocery store and do it all myself (and often do) but that defeats the purpose of, ummmm, fast food.

Portion sizes on frozen stuff are often smaller than my 6’4” 200 lbs hulk prefers. Btw, for some reason Stouffer’s hasn’t been on sale in a while and I do like some of their family size stuff but it’s pricy without a discount. It also takes a while in the oven - nuking it is icky imho.

I know price tends to be your primary driver on some of this stuff but for weeks I’m putting in 50-60 hours at work and on campaigns, having to assemble a meal isn’t something I always want to do.

Edited by spenser1058

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I always liked the chicken at BM better than Publix but you’re right, you can usually get P’s on sale for less. Most grocery delis don’t get as deep in the sides as BM. Yes, I can go running around the grocery store and do it all myself (and often do) but that defeats the purpose of, ummmm, fast food.

Portion sizes on frozen stuff are often smaller than my 6’4” 200 lbs hulk prefers. Btw, for some reason Stouffer’s hasn’t been on sale in a while and I do like some of their family size stuff but it’s pricy without a discount. It also takes a while in the oven - nuking it is icky imho.

I know price tends to be your primary driver on some of this stuff but for weeks I’m putting in 50-60 hours at work and on campaigns, having to assemble a meal isn’t something I always want to do.

So, it's not really Boston Market per se that you miss, it's the convenience of walking in, ordering your food, sitting down and eating out of plastic plates and bowls with plastic utensils, then chucking it in the trash on your way out. 

Got it.

As for the small frozen portions, like I said, get two. No more expensive than what you'd pay at the restaurant.

And re: the chicken, for the most part, baked chicken is baked chicken. If there's a noticeable difference, it's negligible.

Not enough to cause one to wistfully pine about the good ol' days and BM chicken.    

You'll live.  

So, according to @JFW657, fast food should cease to exist. Everyone stay home and cook! It has been proclaimed - let it be done. Fish and chips are gonna be a little messy, though.

In fact, why stop there. Get out and grow your own and, if you have an apartment, keep the cow and the chickens in the spare bedroom.

Of course, you won’t have time to work so @JFW657is delivering a true rural democracy. Should we get a horse and buggy like the Amish? Long live the Luddites!

Edited by spenser1058

Just now, spenser1058 said:

So, according to @JFW657, fast food should cease to exist. Everyone stay home and cook! It has been proclaimed - let it be done. Fish and chips are gonna be a little messy, though.

No. 

Not even close.

What I said, in essence, was that if you love BM food so much, and it is no longer available in restaurant form, you can still get the next best thing at the supermarket and pretend.

Get a bunch of plastic dinnerware, hang a fluorescent light fixture over your favorite Formica topped table, play some crappy music most mature adults can't stand on your stereo, invite a bunch of strangers in to mill around gabbing at each other (don't forget the crying baby/screaming kids), and voila! you're home again. 

:thumbsup: 

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

No. 

Not even close.

What I said, in essence, was that if you love BM food so much, and it is no longer available in restaurant form, you can still get the next best thing at the supermarket and pretend.

Get a bunch of plastic dinnerware, hang a fluorescent light fixture over your favorite Formica topped table, play some crappy music most mature adults can't stand on your stereo, invite a bunch of strangers in to mill around gabbing at each other (don't forget the crying baby/screaming kids), and voila! you're home again. 

:thumbsup: 

Wow - what’s with all the Boston Market angst? Did your girlfriend break up with you there or something? Anyway, I think @codypetsaid the E Colonial one is still there, so I’m safe. It seems Lake Underhill and Kirkman are still good - there are 43 in Florida!

Edited by spenser1058

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Wow - what’s with all the Boston Market angst? Did your girlfriend break up with you there or something? Anyway, I think @codypetsaid the E Colonial one is still there, so I’m safe. It seems Lake Underhill and Kirkman are still good - there are 43 in Florida!

Angst?????  

Where did you get that from?  :blink:

What I described was a typical, modern day, fast food restaurant dine-in experience.

Coulda been Wendy's or Popeye's or Taco Bell.  

Sensitive much?  

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Angst?????  

Where did you get that from?  :blink:

What I described was a typical, modern day, fast food restaurant dine-in experience.

Coulda been Wendy's or Popeye's or Taco Bell.  

Sensitive much?  

lol- I’ll just be happy with my BM crush even if it is in the wrong ‘burb - it’s worth a road trip! Charge up the KnightPass and Charge On!

As for the dinnerware, I did prefer Morrison’s which had many of the same items and MORE plus real plates and glasses, but there’s only one of those left (in Mobile - not a quick trip).

Edited by spenser1058

Thanks to one of our fine forum members, I decided to go searching for a Boston Market coupon and I found some for $2 off. Score!

My dining companion and I just had a splendid meat loaf repast with mashed potatoes and green beans (mac & cheese for my friend) at the Kirkman Road location. It was so yummy!

So, if Mills/50 can be called "Little Saigon" and I've heard the Milk District labeled as the Sandwich District and I suggested (lamely) to Call CP "Little Italy", then maybe SoDo (with SoDough, John and John's, Frenchie's, Brick & Fire, Cornerstone and now BMP) will soon be called the Pizza District.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/food-drink/black-magic-pizza-to-open-a-permanent-orlando-space-in-sodo-next-year-32518138

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

So, if Mills/50 can be called "Little Saigon" and I've heard the Milk District labeled as the Sandwich District and I suggested (lamely) to Call CP "Little Italy", then maybe SoDo (with SoDough, John and John's, Frenchie's, Brick & Fire, Cornerstone and now BMP) will soon be called the Pizza District.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/food-drink/black-magic-pizza-to-open-a-permanent-orlando-space-in-sodo-next-year-32518138

We need a pizza district.  

And a burger district.

And a taco district.

And a sub district.

And a chicken district.

:P