Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 9/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, AmIReal said:

So, if Mills/50 can be called "Little Saigon" and I've heard the Milk District labeled as the Sandwich District and I suggested (lamely) to Call CP "Little Italy", then maybe SoDo (with SoDough, John and John's, Frenchie's, Brick & Fire, Cornerstone and now BMP) will soon be called the Pizza District.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/food-drink/black-magic-pizza-to-open-a-permanent-orlando-space-in-sodo-next-year-32518138

Cant wait 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sodo Station updates:

415%20W%20Kaley%20Street.pdf?_gl=1*fht6u

Permit Number: MPL2022-10089
Project: W. Kaley Mixed Use
Address: 415 W KALEY ST ORLANDO FL
Description: SODO Master Plan for a mixed-use project of approximately 571 apartments, structured parking, commercial space and live work units.
Application Status: Open

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Sodo Station updates:

Description: SODO Master Plan for a mixed-use project of approximately 571 apartments, structured parking, commercial space and live work units.

This will never not blow my mind. My husband worked at Great Western Meats across the street from here for nearly 30 years and it will never seem like a residential area to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

This will never not blow my mind. My husband worked at Great Western Meats across the street from here for nearly 30 years and it will never seem like a residential area to me.

I share that thinking but just on the other side of I-4 it’s mostly all residential.

SoDo was pretty much that way, given it replaced a Zayre strip center and a drive-in theater.

Otoh, in elementary school I was friends with Jimmy Douberley, whose parents ran a mom and pop grocery on Division St (yep, it was still a street then) just south of Gore. We always had to stay in the store because those streets were commercial and too busy to get close to even in the ‘60’s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I share that thinking but just on the other side of I-4 it’s mostly all residential.

SoDo was pretty much that way, given it replaced a Zayre strip center and a drive-in theater.

Otoh, in elementary school I was friends with Jimmy Douberley, whose parents ran a mom and pop grocery on Division St (yep, it was still a street then) just south of Gore. We always had to stay in the store because those streets were commercial and too busy to get close to even in the ‘60’s.

True. I remember the Zayres. I can smell the popcorn just thinking about it. 

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 1:06 PM, Jernigan said:

Sodo Station updates:

It's definitely going to be a little bit of an island, but that's how growth starts.  I love it.

Few updates from walking around the other night...

Chai Thai closed... Apparently they have a separate location?  Who knew!

WalMart Neighborhood Market seems to be pulling an Ale House and rebranding to [CityName] Market and dropping the green color for the traditional blue.

PXL_20221016_230535409.MP.jpg

PXL_20221016_231043866.jpg

• Like 4

It was interesting to me that retail was late to the party on logos. Walmart stayed with just block letters until after Sam left.

Target was one of the few that had an actual logo pretty much from the beginning.

I also chuckle that Walmart and Target’s colors are pretty much the opposite of the demographics they attract in terms of each group’s political affiliations.

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, spenser1058 said:

I like to watch when firms figure out their logos are so ubiquitous the letters are no longer necessary, like Target and Shell.

Mickey D’s could do it if they wanted. I always thought Mobil missed the boat by not just going with Pegasus on the sign. Disney really doesn’t need more than the Mouse.

McDonald's has figured it out and in many locations goes without lettering on the sign.  Texaco had it figured out and it's in my mind was the stronger brand recognition when Chevron purchased it.  Interesting that they went the route they did.  Logos are a tough nut to crack.  Look at automakers that change their logos.  I'm a Chrysler group fan and in the past 40 years they've changed each brands logos at least 3 times in that period.  Some even more than that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, codypet said:

McDonald's has figured it out and in many locations goes without lettering on the sign.  Texaco had it figured out and it's in my mind was the stronger brand recognition when Chevron purchased it.  Interesting that they went the route they did.  Logos are a tough nut to crack.  Look at automakers that change their logos.  I'm a Chrysler group fan and in the past 40 years they've changed each brands logos at least 3 times in that period.  Some even more than that.

I wonder if part of Chrysler’s problem is the fact they’ve had so many owners, a couple of whom (especially Daimler) looked down on them. 

The irony is that, at one point (‘60’s through the end of the Iacocca era), the Pentastar was one of the more stable logos around.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I wonder if part of Chrysler’s problem is the fact they’ve had so many owners, a couple of whom (especially Daimler) looked down on them. 

The irony is that, at one point (‘60’s through the end of the Iacocca era), the Pentastar was one of the more stable logos around.

That is exactly the issue.   Four years before the Daimler acquisition, the Corporation kept the Pentastar, but the individual brands had new logos that probably would have been here today if it weren't for the revolving door of owners starting with Daimler

That’s why I love Ford. Ford is Ford. Always has been. From Henry on down to today’s chairman Bill Ford.

The CEO, Jim Farley, isn’t a Ford, but he comes from a Ford employee family. His grandfather worked at the Rouge starting in 1918.

Speaking of logos, it was weird how both GM and Ford ditched their logos for decades and then brought them back. Can you even imagine Ford without the Blue Oval?

VW has had its logo all the way through (except during the Rabbit era, I think) but most of the Japanese companies didn’t even have them into the late ‘80’s. Then they started getting bigger and bigger on the cars.

Edited by spenser1058

On 10/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, spenser1058 said:

I like to watch when firms figure out their logos are so ubiquitous the letters are no longer necessary, like Target and Shell.

Mickey D’s could do it if they wanted. I always thought Mobil missed the boat by not just going with Pegasus on the sign. Disney really doesn’t need more than the Mouse.

12 hours ago, codypet said:

If any company could pull it off, it would be Wendy's. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Yes, that's been a thing since it opened. It's a nice little store if you just need to pick up a few things.