Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Ten10 was forced to put everything up in a liquidation auction. I posted the link to the court filing. I'd say that is of interest to people here. They ended up buying everything back themselves and didn't close but it didn't make anything I posted untrue. If there was a court order for us to sell everything off at auction in our space then I think you guys could ask if we are closing. I didn't misspeak about a damn thing. I get told a ton of things I don't post about in here because I don't have anything to back them up. When I have a court order or an email from the broker I think that is a solid enough source to let people know what I hear. I'm happy to just stop sharing info if that would offend you less.

Yeah, Ten10 is still open though -- no matter the process they took behind the scenes to keep their doors open. They're also a local business with a decent following and good reviews. It's one thing to make an observation, but a totally different thing to state misinformation as fact. My problem is not with you sharing info, but how you sometimes go about doing it. But whatever... you never misspoke about a damn thing right? Dig in those heels buddy!

1828084036_ExhibitA.thumb.jpg.5242ad48a936bcee564c6f5c8d61cba8.jpg1136376732_ExhibitB.thumb.jpg.554b4433fc3da3f5e404d0248c20c8f4.jpg177482460_ExhibitC.thumb.jpg.579df1bb06954e90081e57f5070de776.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ

I may be remembering it wrong, but wasn’t it the Daily City that took the factual stuff on Ten10 and jumped to the apparent, but wrong, conclusion?

Anyway water under the bridge.  Please don’t turn this thread into that other one(s)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I may be remembering it wrong, but wasn’t it the Daily City that took the factual stuff on Ten10 and jumped to the apparent, but wrong, conclusion?

Anyway water under the bridge.  Please don’t turn this thread into that other one(s)

That is true as well and I believe the daily city retracted their story after it was said and done. All I'm asking is for context and caution when posting "insider knowledge" about another business. Put yourself in their shoes when putting out incorrect info... it's not that hard to understand really. I didn't know that asking someone to extend the same courtesy to someone else would be considered taboo. And if I were to engage in that behavior then please call me out as well.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, Jernigan said:

@Mark Baratelli if you want to write on this the address now seems to be 211 E Michigan (old Cricket) and at least one permit open (DET2018-10141) that actually paints a bad picture of owner in the wording even though I totally get what they are going for 

E0F57614-69D3-4CEA-830A-C22156F9F547.jpeg

Wow thank you for this! I took a break from the forum. Sad I missed this one. Thank you again.

Trying to figure out the steel structure going up on the east side of property at Southside. 

Roof is on a slope - in the site plan it just seems like the Luckys but this makes it look like an extension of the parking deck 

942AE4C3-96BF-4867-8A1E-632020076BE2.jpeg

Edited by Jernigan

3 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Am I the only one indifferent about that development?  Like, I'm glad it's not a pawn shop and trailer park, so yay for that.  But it isn't extending the urban fabric.  Entirely car oriented. 

All true, but when you get that far out of downtown, it's not like there's a lot of other buildings that front out to the road anyway. I guess there's always gonna be those kinds of retail centers where the stores are at the back and the asphalt sea of parking is in front. I don't really mind seeing it "way down there". 

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

All true, but when you get that far out of downtown, it's not like there's a lot of other buildings that front out to the road anyway. I guess there's always gonna be those kinds of retail centers where the stores are at the back and the asphalt sea of parking is in front. I don't really mind seeing it "way down there". 

Assuming City Hall as the "center" of Orlando, this development is the same distance from the center as is North Quarter. If they built something this car-centric in North Quarter or Creative Village, I'd be pretty disappointed.

This development kind of negates the efforts put in by SoDo, Orlando Health, and Novel Lucerne to urbanize South Orange. Something more urban down there would've been a great terminus for a Lymmo expansion or streetcar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alex said:

Assuming City Hall as the "center" of Orlando, this development is the same distance from the center as is North Quarter. If they built something this car-centric in North Quarter or Creative Village, I'd be pretty disappointed.

This development kind of negates the efforts put in by SoDo, Orlando Health, and Novel Lucerne to urbanize South Orange. Something more urban down there would've been a great terminus for a Lymmo expansion or streetcar.

I just think it's unrealistic to expect every new development that isn't considered part of downtown, to conform to a standard that isn't written into the building or zoning code for that area.

Besides, as you travel up or down Orange Avenue between Gore and Pineloch, there are plenty of other businesses that don't meet that criteria. One more won't change anything. Even the Wawa directly across the street is set back and surrounded by asphalt.

My attitude towards this project... it is what it is.

26 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I just think it's unrealistic to expect every new development that isn't considered part of downtown, to conform to a standard that isn't written into the building or zoning code for that area.

Besides, as you travel up or down Orange Avenue between Gore and Pineloch, there are plenty of other businesses that don't meet that criteria. One more won't change anything. Even the Wawa directly across the street is set back and surrounded by asphalt.

My attitude towards this project... it is what it is.

For much of my life, that area has always been a little scruffy. Heck, for most of that time it barely qualified as suburban (what with juice plants and such.) It is progress of a sort, I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

For much of my life, that area has always been a little scruffy. Heck, for most of that time it barely qualified as suburban (what with juice plants and such.) It is progress of a sort, I suppose.

All cities and towns have scruffy areas. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The idea of living in a city that is all shiny and new and neat as a pin from one end to the other is boring to me. I like a change of scenery and atmosphere from neighborhood to neighborhood.

I do wish someone would get rid of the abandoned old boat plant down towards Oak Ridge, though.

That thing is just an eyesore.

• Like 2

This is a new development that I guarantee you will look "shiny and new and neat as a pin." I'm not sure how a brand new strip center with drive-through outparcels = cool scruffy neighborhood.

I personally subscribe to the idea that every remaining lot in this city—especially with zoning as valuable as an "urban activity center"—should be developed as close to its full potential as possible. And yes, this is an issue with a zoning and building code that allows for great things but doesn't really enforce it. It's also an issue with citizens who willfully support any mediocre chain store developments while often actively fighting diverse, independent, or creative developments.

We only have so many large lots with high zoning capacity left in the city limits. I don't think it's too much to expect new development within a two-mile radius of the city center to strive to be something well-designed.

3 hours ago, alex said:

This is a new development that I guarantee you will look "shiny and new and neat as a pin." I'm not sure how a brand new strip center with drive-through outparcels = cool scruffy neighborhood.

I have no idea how you managed to misinterpret what I said to mean anything close to that. 

3 hours ago, alex said:

I personally subscribe to the idea that every remaining lot in this city—especially with zoning as valuable as an "urban activity center"—should be developed as close to its full potential as possible. And yes, this is an issue with a zoning and building code that allows for great things but doesn't really enforce it. It's also an issue with citizens who willfully support any mediocre chain store developments while often actively fighting diverse, independent, or creative developments.

Well that's nice and all, but you can't always get what you want, can you? Ask Mick Jagger, he'll tell you the same thing.

As for supporting mediocrity in shopping center development, I... I'm.... just... so ashamed!!!! 

J/K. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, alex said:

We only have so many large lots with high zoning capacity left in the city limits. I don't think it's too much to expect new development within a two-mile radius of the city center to strive to be something well-designed.

I suppose. But on the other hand, it's not worth getting all pissed off over. South Orange Avenue is never going to be the Orlando equivalent of lower Manhattan so until you are the one footing the bill and calling the shots, you'll just have to accept what does get built and be happy that it's a huge improvement over what used to be there.

• Like 1