Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

Just saw something depressing on Nextdoor. Apparently they're taking down a bunch of trees around Orange and Michigan.

The ones around Boston Market and some others between Michigan and Pineloch around Chick-fil-A.

Hoping they're just trimming, but it doesn't sound like it. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

I'm sure the city will make them plant a new tree to replace the old one, and that tree will be either a crepe myrtle or a palm tree.

That's basically what I opined on Nextdoor. Crepe myrtles that never grow higher than eight feet. Even if they replant oaks, it will take decades. Someone on Nd said Boston Market cut theirs down because they didn't like acorns in their parking lot. I find that hard to believe. I doubt Boston Market even owns the property.

At any rate, this is just depressing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2018 at 6:03 PM, Jernigan said:

Per the SoDo District, the McDonald’s will begin it’s rebuild next week 

Equipment on site and sign now says closed and re opening in December.

I don’t eat at McDs but will take whatever improvement to the streetwall I can get.   This will be much better than the Arby’s renovation 2 doors south.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, Jernigan said:

Equipment on site and sign now says closed and re opening in December.

I don’t eat at McDs but will take whatever improvement to the streetwall I can get.   This will be much better than the Arby’s renovation 2 doors south.

Ugh.  I meant to go in there one last time before they started construction.  Needed redone, but I think that was the last of the weirdly designed interiors from decades ago.

1 minute ago, AndyPok1 said:

Ugh.  I meant to go in there one last time before they started construction.  Needed redone, but I think that was the last of the weirdly designed interiors from decades ago.

I wonder what's going to become of the pictures of old historic downtown that used to hang on the walls. I seriously doubt they'll be included in the sleek, modern new digs.

10 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Does anyone have any information about the planned 184 Units at 944 S Orange Ave?

Haven't heard that, but doing a little digging....

Assuming its this property that Orlando currently has tagged as 950 S Orange.  Its the big empty space next to Warden in front of the lake.

944-950 orange street.PNG

944-950 orange.PNG

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

2116 S Orange - Old project finally received permits.   Three story addition to existing one story building 

Strange. I tried looking up the address on Google Maps and until I typed the entire address including the city into the search field, it wouldn't acknowledge it.

10 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Pizza and chicken ...also, per BluRock, he Starbucks at Crystal Lake is closing 

4A90D3E7-A969-4C71-B56E-054A98966DC5.jpeg

That's unfortunate. I hate to lose a somewhat urban location for a retailer to be replaced down the street amidst a sea of asphalt.

Of course, I don't spend much time in SoDo other than the periodic Target Run so maybe the business wasn't there for them. I do know Starbucks has plans to cut a number of less profitable US locations under its new CEO.