Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

While I'm upset they took down the old trees, that's considerably better than palms and crepe myrtles.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw that they went with oaks again.

Those things grow fairly fast, but it will still be a good five years or so before they even start to form a canopy.

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Chicken and egg, man...

We walk to Starbucks and drive to Target.   The Target is closer!

Add to that the bus stops at Crystal Lake, the new townhomes under construction etc.   

heres a comparison to the CBD.  Could you imagine if we only had these 4 crossings?

I don't think a CBD comparison is valid, something like Mills would make more sense.

And I walk to Target unless I anticipate purchasing something large.

Unrelated, we really should have a meet-up one day!

30 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I don't think a CBD comparison is valid, something like Mills would make more sense.

We all seem to live close enough and I already know a handful of you guys personally as it is.

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I agree it’s not a perfect comparison based on today but I guess I would say I’d like our future to be that and not Mills...at least the Mills that we have today.   I’ll take a look at Edgewater when I have time - maybe that’s not a bad goal to strive for.

I look at it like this:  do we want SoDo to be the southern end of downtown or the most northern suburb before we hit downtown.  In either case, traffics gonna hit a halt a few blocks north so the trade off in delay is minimal for a potentially transformative change in walkability.

Agreed about a meetup!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Thank you. Very interesting. I thought I was pretty tuned into the early phase of this project- although much less so this past year. But this is the 1st I've heard of the "Silos of Sodo" and roundabouts on Division.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Thank you. Very interesting. I thought I was pretty tuned into the early phase of this project- although much less so this past year. But this is the 1st I've heard of the "Silos of Sodo" and roundabouts on Division.

Same. Also disappointed both sides of Lake Lucerne aren't included in the SODO vision plan... I'd rather see the main drag updated first before branching off to Division. Division is still so industrial and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future to justify an overhaul unless I'm missing something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Same. Also disappointed both sides of Lake Lucerne aren't included in the SODO vision plan... I'd rather see the main drag updated first before branching off to Division. Division is still so industrial and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future to justify an overhaul unless I'm missing something.

I think they expect traffic to increase on Orange and they want to turn Division into the alternate route between SODO and the CBD.  Also, the Urban Trail is continuing south using Divisions’s ROW and the SunRail station is on Division.

• Like 2

There will also be a good amount of redevelopment in that area.   But it really does have a long way to go.

If they opened that bike trail tomorrow, you’d need to wear a motorcycle helmet or goggles and a handkerchief over your face to avoid getting beat up by all the sand and debris blowing around.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it'd have to be really good for that to work.  There's just too many established chains with Hungry Howie's across the street, Firehouse in the same plaza, Cornerstone in one direction, Flippers in the other.  All of those are already established with lunch specials.

A Roque Pub type place though....

7 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Would be a good time to tear this thing down and rebuilt it with condos and parking garage....

Given how conservative the Carusos  are (not politically, more so "this is the way we've always done it and we're in no hurry,") I'd be surprised if that happened.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I think it'd have to be really good for that to work.  There's just too many established chains with Hungry Howie's across the street, Firehouse in the same plaza, Cornerstone in one direction, Flippers in the other.  All of those are already established with lunch specials.

A Roque Pub type place though....

True, all those places are within a short driving distance of the shopping center, and there's a Domino's and a Subway there already, but there's nothing in the way of a good little pizza & sub place where store employees and shoppers can get a slice and a drink without having to get in their cars and fight the traffic.

You can't get pizza by the slice anywhere near there and you have to stand in line for twenty minutes for a sub at Publix.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

True, all those places are within a short driving distance of the shopping center, and there's a Domino's and a Subway there already, but there's nothing in the way of a good little pizza & sub place where store employees and shoppers can get a slice and a drink without having to get in their cars and fight the traffic.

You can't get pizza by the slice anywhere near there and you have to stand in line for twenty minutes for a sub at Publix.

Not if you order from the Publix app!

For pizza, how about the exciting new Papa Johns with no apostrophe?

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't think there's enough traffic in the shopping center alone to support a business.

And its not a slice, but howie's is literally across the street and has a $5 personal pizza combo.

I'm all for it, I'd love a good NY slice place... I just don't see the market being here