Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

24 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I don't think there's enough traffic in the shopping center alone to support a business.

And its not a slice, but howie's is literally across the street and has a $5 personal pizza combo.

I'm all for it, I'd love a good NY slice place... I just don't see the market being here

You could be right, but then again.... one never knows.

If their food was good, the word would spread and it wouldn't just be traffic from the shopping center. Zoe's and Boston Market both seem to do well as does Panera, with customers who go there as their primary destination.

Back in my HS days I worked at a full service Italian restaurant in Cocoa. It was owned by two Italian sisters who, along with their respective husbands, were 50/50 partners. One of the sisters and her husband also owned another place very similar to what we're talking about over on Merritt Island. Little walk in place in a strip shopping center about the same size as Market at Southside. Two maybe three tables at most, but mainly take out pizza, salads and subs.

They did extremely well there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I agree with JFW all the way.   That’s a pretty massive plaza and employees would definitely patronize a good dependable pizza parlor.   The only real direct  comparable is Cornerstone and frankly they could use the competition lately 

I agree if it is good and dependable.  I have just have low expectations that if one were to open it would be.

13 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

On a side note, I still miss the Lake Eola Panera. That corner of Lake Eola has lost a bit of it's warmth since they left (I heard Panera left because they couldn't add a drive thru).

Fond memories of the Lake Eola Panera from my high school days. A friend and I would sit there for hours and do our homework. We thought we were really cool  because we would drive downtown and sit in a coffeeshop.

The Panera staff entertained our youthful spirit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

I thought you were boycotting Publix? That didn't last long... :tw_tounge_wink:

Well, I still am...sort of. I concluded Publix, which had always seemed to me, like most Floridians, to share the same values, now appears to be stuck in Polk County in the 1950's. OTOH, I still applaud the fact they are one of the few chain retailers downtown. And the truth is, in a state full of transplants, Publix has always been uniquely ours.

If there were another mainline grocery option, I'd probably take it, but all of us good Floridians ignored everyone but Publix for so long all the competition left. (Winn-Dixie doesn't count - besides being an abortion of a store, Southeast Grocers is hardly a beacon of progressivism and there's not one close to downtown.)

So, what to do? I finally decided to split the baby. I now buy all my packaged goods online at Target.com (which has a perfect HRC score) and just get fresh and frozen items at Publix. I'm spending half as much as I used to there and regularly send emails to Lakeland encouraging them to get with the program.

Maybe one day we'll get a Harris Teeter or a Wegmans close to downtown or maybe Publix will get out of its Leave It To Beaver bubble (or maybe SuperTarget will become a full-service grocer.)I have to admit, breaking up is hard to do. All the things I love about Publix - clean stores, very friendly associates, are still there. Like my brother the fundamentalist, at some point you just have to love him like he is.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, Jernigan said:

gree it’s not a perfect comparison based on today but I guess I would say I’d like our future to be that and not Mills...at least the Mills that we have today.   I’ll take a look at Edgewater when I have time - maybe that’s not a bad goal to strive for.

I look at it like this:  do we want SoDo to be the

Anyone surprised they haven't changed the name of this road yet?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Been saying that about name change for years.

Any ideas on a potential rename?

On 10/15/2018 at 5:58 AM, Jernigan said:

Nice to see the roundabout at Michigan / Division.