Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

6 hours ago, codypet said:

I'm aware.  My wife's ex b/f is the founder.  I'm reminded of that tidbit every so often.

Back when I was a college student, a buddy of mine pitched an idea to me to become a manager of this new concept he and his friends were working on. He promised I could make $70k my first year. All I had to do was learn how to repair cracked smartphone screens and I was in. I thought about it for all of 3 seconds before I declined, thinking it was going to fail miserably and I didn’t want to invest time in a losing effort while I was still im school.

A few years later, uBreakiFix is one of the most successful startups from Orlando in the past decade. Meanwhile I despise my job and am currently looking to get another degree so I could hate life less with a totally new occupation.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, Gtothree2748 said:

BB34712B-474E-43B4-9A88-23D31C241FC9.jpeg

I went to the SoDo coffee club where the NID presented on the the project. FDOT nixed the mid block crossing.

Basically the only visual upgrades are bulbouts, orange peel crosswalks, new streetlights and that’s about it.

Crosswalks should be nice though.

• Thanks 1

The crosswalk would mean they were stamping a “safe crossing” sign on it.   So they don’t want to do it without lighting (which would be great) and I guess the distance to the signaled  intersection is too close for comfort.  

It was asked if the NID had planned for any additional signalized crossings with or without this project and the answer sounded like no.  They want to improve the existing signalized crossings to encourage people to use them.   

I couldn’t read the NID Director to tell if he really believed in that or if he was just toting a talking point

On 1/18/2019 at 8:13 AM, Jernigan said:

I went to the SoDo coffee club where the NID presented on the the project. FDOT nixed the mid block crossing.

Basically the only visual upgrades are bulbouts, orange peel crosswalks, new streetlights and that’s about it.

Crosswalks should be nice though.

What irks me is that Orlando tries to be pedestrian-friendly in name only, but when it comes down to implementation the mantra goes out the window. The NID needs to find a way to work with FDOT to approve the mid-block crossing and now is the time to do it. People cross mid-block in the dark all the time... they need to stop denying reality.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, Jernigan said:

FDOT nixed the mid block crossing.

If they were to push the north bound bus stop (which is currently in front of the Starbucks) another 150 feet north it would be a few steps from the lighted intersection and crosswalk at Grant.  Also, that would put it nearly across the street from the south bound stop. With the Starbucks closing and relocating I believe there would be less reason to cross mid block.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

The two most significant lines in the article:

"The south downtown store will host a “bacon-cutting ceremony” at 8:30 a.m. that day.

There will also be tasting fairs on Feb. 9, the first Saturday after the opening."

I am soooooo there!!!! :P 

The bacon samples are amazing.

• Thanks 1

Bungalower reporting Orlando Health is adding 2 new buildings including an imagining center on vacant demolished lot next to the fire station and a 5 story MOB with attached 9 level garage in the main campus on W. Copeland, adding to the density of the main campus and replacing surface lot with more parking capacity.  Interesting to note, the 5 story facade of the MOB will face Sligh Boulevard toward the RR tracks and the Historic Orlando Station SunRail/Amtrak stop. Interesting development changing the backside of Campus toward the alternative Rail transportation option and making it more of an entrance to the campus. (at 5 stories, it will likely be visible addition from I-4 as well).  

https://bungalower.com/2019/01/29/orlando-health-adding-to-downtown-campus/

Orlando-Health-Imaging-Center_Render_B_1-21-19-e1548461365885.jpg.3d1ff61c2b9dfcaf56521876e66ebb18.jpg

orlando-health-finfrock.png.08b029fe5508c0b97592c447652e65d3.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

The 2nd photo fronts Sligh and the train station.  I had to chuckle at the NID manager calling it amazing TOD when it was mostly garage but whatever it will look great when you are on the train.

After Monday’s NID presentation to City Council, Commisioner Ings pressed for some retail news (maybe he posts here, lol). NID Manager was tight lipped but did share that the soon to be closed Starbucks will he very “quickly consumed” and that a bank will be coming at another corner.   

I think the bank referenced is a replacement at the old Suntrust property.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Interesting development changing the backside of Campus toward the alternative Rail transportation option and making it more of an entrance to the campus. (at 5 stories, it will likely be visible addition from I-4 as well).  

orlando-health-finfrock.png.08b029fe5508c0b97592c447652e65d3.png

At five stories, in that rendering anyway, it's almost as tall as the attached nine story garage. I know that individual garage floors are usually a bit shorter than office building floors, but these office floors must be taller than average for there to be such a small overall building height difference between the two.

• Thanks 1

I suppose we're losing that cute red roofed building where Thai Stop was? That's a shame. The building has character, great street activation, and potential for cool redevelopment. I always thought this area would  organically make such a great neighborhood with its small blocks, proximity to transit and jobs. I wish Orlando Health had a more comprehensive development plan instead of this piecemeal business. A couple of "The Yard" projects would look great in this area!

• Thanks 2