Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 2/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, JFW657 said:

Payless is no big loss afaic. Their cheap, crappy shoes didn't cost any less than the cheap, crappy shoes at any other discount store. I wouldn't mind seeing Dollar Tree expand over into their space.

I’m pulling for the strip to be sold to someone that can build a more urban replacement.  The NID should consider advancing some of the lower cost aesthetics along Michigan and Delaney ASAP to help that along before it gets backfilled with DDs Discounts and AMSCOT

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 1

The area around Orange and Michigan has some of the oddest urban transitions I’ve ever seen.

Target and Publix couldn’t run away from West Colonial fast enough but yet soldier on fat and happy as the SoDo neighborhood transitions from upscale mini-manses close to the hospital to hipster cred bungalows along Delaney and then ending up at Doo Dah Lane and the requisite pawn shop.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I’m pulling for the strip to be sold to someone that can build a more urban replacement.  The NID should consider advancing some of the lower cost aesthetics along Michigan and Delaney ASAP to help that along before it gets backfilled with DDs Discounts and AMSCOT

Somebody on Nextdoor Kaley/Bumby said the entire place is or is going up for sale and that they currently aren't taking any new tenants. 

Guess we'll see.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I don't know.

That’s cool. If they do, it may be a while before they do anything. They invest for the long-term and rarely are in a hurry to do anything. Unless something has changed, they’re very content to pass their holdings on to the next generation (although they did sell Constitution Green, but that was always supposed to be temporary and they held onto it for a couple of decades).

On 2/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, JFW657 said:

Payless is no big loss afaic. Their cheap, crappy shoes didn't cost any less than the cheap, crappy shoes at any other discount store. 

I doubt that their ~25,000 employees and their families share your ennui over their loss of employment. 

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Dollar stores are an annoyance in places like Orlando. In rural places, they are devastating local grocery stores. Here’s just one example.

Not only does that affect investments in local communities, it also sets up a situation where residents find themselves with little, if any, access to fresh food. 

The typical US diet was already in trouble- dollar stores spreading across the land like kudzu will not be an improvement.

https://www.wrvo.org/post/closing-sackets-harbor-grocery-store-almost-expected-after-dollar-general-came

From WRVO

11 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

In some very small communities there are no local grocers.   in most of these communities the nearest grocers are miles away and  just the gas for these often poor communities is a burden.  to these folks, the dollar store is a godsend. 

That’s true, but in the meantime they’re forcing out the few grocers still left.

Meanwhile, dollar stores are doing little to nothing to meet the nutritional needs of the food deserts. It’s the equivalent of putting a band aid on a gaping wound. The profits are sucked out of the local community and the spiral continues.

And of course, the premise of the whole thing is false. While you may save money on some close out items they offer, the cost per unit is usually higher when buying in such small increments (with packaged goods, the cost of the packaging is frequently more than the product itself).

In the end, it’s probably not the solution.

13 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

I doubt that their ~25,000 employees and their families share your ennui over their loss of employment. 

Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Not my concern either way.

And, I'm not sure that was the most correct usage of the word ennui.

I would not describe my feelings about Payless employees losing their jobs as weariness, dissatisfaction or boredom. A more appropriate term might have been casual attitude .

More typing I know, but being GC (grammatically correct) is always worth the extra keystrokes.

:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, that is very true!!!

AP502597109206_2.jpg

And this picture proves it!!!!! :w00t: :wub:

I'm not sure exactly which UP'er that is, but I'd like to!!!! :shades:

PM me whoever you are!!!! :hi:

When did the beautiful and sensual Kate Upton go to a Magic game?? Or was this during the All-Star Weekend a few years ago? Either way, I take back every somewhat negative thing I’ve ever said about her when I met her a couple years ago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, that is very true!!!

AP502597109206_2.jpg

And this picture proves it!!!!! :w00t: :wub:

I'm not sure exactly which UP'er that is, but I'd like to!!!! :shades:

PM me whoever you are!!!! :hi:

We’ll find out for sure when Andy and Hank schedule the first Orlando UP meetup!

(Even if everyone has to wear OSU colors...)

10 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

She was a regular for a few seasons during spring training when her boy Justin was playing with Detroit. And she has Melbourne roots.

I think she has Lakeland ties too. My wife and I met her and Justin at Bed Bath and Beyond at Lakeside Village a couple years back. Not sure if they lived there or were just passing through.