Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I agree that a stop is needed, not only at Sodo, but at Orlando Health as well.

An OH stop seems like it would be easy because the Amtrak Station is right there.

A4F90B43-7AC5-454D-B954-DEC53D0A395F.png

9 hours ago, YimbyOrlando said:

I can't get over how badly SunRail needs a stop in Sodo along Michigan. This area is growing way faster than any area around any of the other stops. Doesn't make sense that there are no stops in between the hospital and Sandlake. A cheap infill station could generate lots of ridership for little cost . The traffic down Orange is horrible and there's no bike lanes either.

Let’s say they add a stop...you’d wait 30 minutes for a heavy rail train instead of catching a bus that comes every 10-15 for the same price to go 2 miles?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Let’s say they add a stop...you’d wait 30 minutes for a heavy rail train instead of catching a bus that comes every 10-15 for the same price to go 2 miles?

bendersnotroll.jpg

What about people coming in from Winter Park, Altamonte and beyond who are either patients or employees at Orlando Health who'd like to leave their cars and avoid I-4?

Or people from those areas who'd like to visit Sodo and go shopping and dining at some of the fabulous retail and restaurant establishments?

I'm not saying it would be realistically feasible to build a Sodo station, just that if they could, it would be useful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Well that's nice I guess, but it's really just saying in effect, that their Orlando station is near Orlando Health, and so of course, the train is going to stop there anyway.

Can passengers get on at various Sunrail stations along the line or do they have to get to an Amtrak station in order to ride?

Seems like Sunrail would be more convenient and probably cheaper, too.

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Well that's nice I guess, but it's really just saying in effect, that their Orlando station is near Orlando Health, and so of course, the train is going to stop there anyway.

Can passengers get on at various Sunrail stations along the line or do they have to get to an Amtrak station in order to ride?

Seems like Sunrail would be more convenient and probably cheaper, too.

From your previous post, I took it to mean you didn’t know that station existed so I was trying to fill in that gap.  

I’m not sure what the Amtrak question is asking but yes you can take SunRail to and from any SunRail station and in Kissimmee, Orlando and Winter Park would have a pretty easy transfer to and from Amtrak at least physically - schedule is another issue.

Edited by Jernigan

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

From your previous post, I took it to mean you didn’t know that station existed so I was trying to fill in that gap.  

I’m not sure what the Amtrak question is asking but yes you can take SunRail to and from any SunRail station and in Kissimmee, Orlando and Winter Park would have a pretty easy transfer to and from Amtrak at least physically - schedule is another issue.

You must have forgotten about my first post on the subject (previous page)...

"I agree that a stop is needed, not only at Sodo, but at Orlando Health as well.

An OH stop seems like it would be easy because the Amtrak Station is right there."

I was asking rhetorically about Amtrak passengers being able to board Amtrak trains at Sunrail stations, which they obviously cannot. 

To ride an Amtrak train you'd have to get to an Amtrak station which are fewer and farther between than Sunrail stations.

It just seems to me, that if you live in one of the the outlying areas and work at or need to visit OH, and you can't or don't want to drive, Sunrail would be a nice alternative and all it would require is for the Sunrail trains that are passing the Amtrak station anyway, to stop there and let people board and deboard.

It's JMHO and honestly, I don't use Sunrail, so I'm far from an expert.

Just musing. :)

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

You must have forgotten about my first post on the subject (previous page)...

I was asking rhetorically about Amtrak passengers being able to board Amtrak trains at Sunrail stations, which they obviously cannot. 

To ride an Amtrak train you'd have to get to an Amtrak station which are fewer and farther between than Sunrail stations.

It just seems to me, that if you live in one of the the outlying areas and work at or need to visit OH, and you can't or don't want to drive, Sunrail would be a nice alternative and all it would require is for the Sunrail trains that are passing the Amtrak station anyway, to stop there and let people board and deboard.

It's JMHO and honestly, I don't use Sunrail, so I'm far from an expert.

Just musing. :)

I think I’m missing something. There is a SunRail stop by the Amtrak station:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunrail stop near me

It’s known as the Orlando Health/Amtrak station according to the link above.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Yes, and every Amtrak stop is also a Sunrail station along this configuration of the Sunrail line.

(Winter Park, Orlando, Kissimmee)

In the case of the Orlando station, where Sunrail and Amtrak share the historic 1926 rail station, Wiki explains: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Health/Amtrak_station

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

10 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Yes, and every Amtrak stop is also a Sunrail station along this configuration of the Sunrail line.

(Winter Park, Orlando, Kissimmee)

In the case of the Orlando station, where Sunrail and Amtrak share the historic 1926 rail station, Wiki explains: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Health/Amtrak_station

Well that's great then. I was under the impression that Sunrail didn't stop at OH.

nevermind2.jpg

:)

1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

What in the heck is going on here?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

You didn't see anything.

:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2019 at 2:35 AM, YimbyOrlando said:

I can't get over how badly SunRail needs a stop in Sodo along Michigan. This area is growing way faster than any area around any of the other stops. Doesn't make sense that there are no stops in between the hospital and Sandlake. A cheap infill station could generate lots of ridership for little cost . The traffic down Orange is horrible and there's no bike lanes either.

Orange and Holden (across from cypress grove park) would be an ideal location for an additional sun rail station. It’s basically the mid point between OH and sand lake. It would serve the southern end of sodo and also the northern end of Edgewood/belle isle which are too far from sand lake and ORMC to make sunrail worth riding for those residents. Plus there is space there for a platform. 

Edited by Gtothree2748
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gtothree2748 said:

Orange and Holden (across from cypress grove park) would be an ideal location for an additional sun rail station. It’s basically the mid point between OH and sand lake. It would serve the southern end of sodo and also the northern end of Edgewood/belle isle which are too far from sand lake and ORMC to make sunrail worth riding for those residents. Plus there is space there for a platform. 

Holden would be a good spot too, I just think about the walkability of locations and there's not much down at Holden worth walking too. The ORMC location is too far to be  walkable for Sodo residents and only one of the 4 LYNX routes along Orange Ave stops at the Sunrail station. If They ever extend a LYMMO route to SoDo like they're studying, a stop at the Sunrail station would also do a good job connecting this area of high growth to our only current regional transit.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jernigan said:

That's assuming people would only take Sunrail to Downtown, but also considering how slow buses are during peak periods because of overcrowding and congestion it would likely be faster to wait for Sunrail,  Not to mention there's a social stigma against buses that doesn't exist for trains.

Edited by YimbyOrlando

There has been a lot going on in the background here that's positioning the area for growth.  With it's close-in location, Sunrail service to the Orlando Health station (co-located with the Amtrak station) and current use, the City sees SODO as prime for re-development. There are a few things that are helping us move in that direction.

1) The SODO NID is producing significant revenue, and that will snowball as development progresses. Rumor has it that the city is looking at other places a NID could be created in the city because of the success of this district. This allows the City/NID to have dedicated resources for public infrastructure so it can move more quickly for projects like the Division Ave. Streetscape. http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/downtown-south-neighborhood-improvement-district/

2) Much of SODO is in an opportunity zone, unlocking tax incentives to developers who invest and re-invest in the neighborhood. https://www.orlando.gov/Initiatives/Opportunity-Zones/SoDo-District

3) Large industrial landowners will make it easier to buy large swaths of land as values rise.  Some long-time landowners in the area (Mears) are undergoing corporate changes that may make them less tied to the specific property. With changes in the warehousing industry, many tenants may be looking for better-located more advanced solutions in the near future. 

• Like 3

Speaking of Mears.  I know they were planning to move their facility to next to Cowboys about 5 years ago, but claimed Uber/Lyft killed those plans.  I'd imagine that was more a ploy to spook the city out of letting Uber/Lyft enter the city, but can anyone confirm whether or not that was the case?  I know they dramatically stopped moving dirt out there as soon as Uber/Lyft started, but I'd imagine the benefit of having an upgraded facility would be better than having a bunch of mishmashed garages off of Gore.

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

Speaking of Mears.  I know they were planning to move their facility to next to Cowboys about 5 years ago, but claimed Uber/Lyft killed those plans.  I'd imagine that was more a ploy to spook the city out of letting Uber/Lyft enter the city, but can anyone confirm whether or not that was the case?  I know they dramatically stopped moving dirt out there as soon as Uber/Lyft started, but I'd imagine the benefit of having an upgraded facility would be better than having a bunch of mishmashed garages off of Gore.

My guess is that since Mears was sold after that it’s back to the drawing board for future plans. I have no inside info, though.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 3:29 PM, codypet said:

So I hit up the Payless at Market on Southside before it closed and I was amazed at the sheer number of vacant storefronts in that plaza.  The Publix side is fine, but the old side where Panera/Bealls used to be....man its empty.

Major change in that area of Orlando is just a matter of time.