Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Supposedly Jack Black was going to build condos or apts or something where Thomas Lumber is (on both sides of Gore). That’s been a while ago so it may be another VMC.

This guy???

jack-black-9542484-1-402.jpg

I hate that guy!!!

When did he get into the condo business???

6 hours ago, cwetteland said:

In a way that's a good sign.  Self-storage (Ravaudage, Magnolia-50, SoDo)  all mean there are residents nearby .... or soon to be nearby.  You can't have one without the other.

I dunno, self-storage has always represented blight to me. They don't attract complementary shops/stores in the vicinity. No growth, just an enduring decay. I would have preferred adaptive reuse of the existing building for another use instead. Food hall? Art gallery similar to Artegon? Grocery store?? Anything but self-storage??

repurpose.thumb.jpg.fe9800bc6830519fe437b83f481a65bd.jpg

1727389275_storageshed.thumb.jpg.c502d4981332b4446a7628e4488f61b2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Dontcha love schlepping all your crap up 3 flights down a hall and having that $x auto deducted every month? Horrible. Dumb.

Hard to move from the burbs into the city without downsizing.

If these things make it possible for people to go through a withdrawal phase and they create some jobs along the way then...great!

Surprised Marie Kondo hasn’t put a dent in the biz though 

Suze Orman on storage units:

https://www.suzeorman.com/blog/are-you-hostage-to-a-self-storage-money-pit

They seem to be the latest salvo in the tattoo parlor -  7-Eleven  - Dunkin’  wars in our core neighborhoods. I guess we should be pleased we’re not getting an Amscot on every corner.

Edited by spenser1058

I thought the City required like 50 or 80% of the first floor for storage projects to be dedicated to retail/restaurant space.  I think it's 50% of first floor SF and 80% of first floor street frontage.  It seems like a great code requirement.  Didn't it apply to this project?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Suze Orman on storage units:

https://www.suzeorman.com/blog/are-you-hostage-to-a-self-storage-money-pit

They seem to be the latest salvo in the tattoo parlor -  7-Eleven  - Dunkin’  wars in our core neighborhoods. I guess we should be pleased we’re not getting an Amscot on every corner.

You my friend haven't seen the Curry Ford neighborhoods.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gibby said:

I thought the City required like 50 or 80% of the first floor for storage projects to be dedicated to retail/restaurant space.  I think it's 50% of first floor SF and 80% of first floor street frontage.  It seems like a great code requirement.  Didn't it apply to this project?

Has anyone said for certain that that requirement won't apply to this project? 

Hopefully they'll surprise us and the bottom floor will be shops and eateries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, codypet said:

Curry Ford has a Shell in front of Winn Dixie still too.  Otherwise you have to go to Clay/Par.

That’s true but it’s a squeeze to get in and out of.

I just want my old Shell station back at Colonial and Hyer. Life was good then (I’m gonna make such a great grumpy old codger)!

Edited by spenser1058