Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 4/24/2019 at 2:21 PM, spenser1058 said:

That’s true but it’s a squeeze to get in and out of.

I just want my old Shell station back at Colonial and Hyer. Life was good then (I’m gonna make such a great grumpy old codger)!

Curry Ford is a squeeze but the Orange & Michigan one is wasn’t?! 

On 4/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, spenser1058 said:

I’m probably the only one who misses the Shell station. I have to buy gas in Audubon Park now.

You could always start going to this one...

shellking.jpg

...get gas at the Shell station, then get more gas from BK. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind making a short drive to 520 & I-95 in Cocoa.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, codypet said:

Burger King has had a notable decline in quality in the last 20 years.   Its pretty bad.  I still go to Wendy's even though the Colonial one is filthy.

We were unusually lucky because Davgar Restaurants (Manny Garcia of Pebbles fame) owned the local franchise for BK for years.

He insisted on much higher standards than corporate spec, so much so other franchisers complained Davgar was making them look bad. Eventually, BK corporate sought to eliminate the “problem” by buying back the franchise (Manny’s kids also wanted to focus on upscale dining, so Davgar went along).

The local BK’s almost immediately declined and that was the end of my occasional Whopper cravings.

Edited by spenser1058

26 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We were unusually lucky because Davgar Restaurants (Manny Garcia of Pebbles fame) owned the local franchise for BK for years.

He insisted on much higher standards than corporate spec, so much so other franchisers complained Davgar was making them look bad. Eventually, BK corporate sought to eliminate the “problem” by buying back the franchise (Manny’s kids also wanted to focus on upscale dining, so Davgar went along).

The local BK’s almost immediately declined and that was the end of my occasional Whopper cravings.

That explains a lot.  That must have happened around 2002-2003ish then?  That's about when I noticed it starting to happen.

9 minutes ago, codypet said:

That explains a lot.  That must have happened around 2002-2003ish then?  That's about when I noticed it starting to happen.

That sounds about or may have been earlier. I don’t know if corporate owns the local stores anymore as BK was bought out several years ago by a huge conglomerate.

Edited by spenser1058

I've been eating at BK since I was about 8 years old.

I gotta say, I haven't noticed any decline whatsoever in the quality of their food.

Of course, I'm not saying it was ever super high quality to begin with either.

But afaics, it's pretty much the same as it's always been. 

I noticed a new sign on the empty lakefront lot across from Orlando Health (1221 S. Orange Ave). The sign for the realtor(Mark Allen) is still there, but a new sign for "iiG Development" is also there. Mr. Allen's website shows the property as "pending". The site had previously had a sign for Elevation Financial (Chris King's company). Anyone know who iiG Development is?

It may be Interior Image Group which specializes in hospitality design:

https://iigdesign.com/

Here’s a redo of a boutique hotel in Bristol VA:

https://iigdesign.com/portfolio/bristol-sessions-hotel/

Perhaps coincidentally, they just hired a VP Procurement who did a stint in Orlando:

http://classifieds.usatoday.com/press/iig-hospitality-design-firm-announces-new-vp-of-procurement/

Edited by spenser1058

^^

I don't think there's any relation to the interior image group... totally different company logo:

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I noticed a new sign on the empty lakefront lot across from Orlando Health (1221 S. Orange Ave). The sign for the realtor(Mark Allen) is still there, but a new sign for "iiG Development" is also there. Mr. Allen's website shows the property as "pending". The site had previously had a sign for Elevation Financial (Chris King's company). Anyone know who iiG Development is?

Found 'em: https://integrityinvestmentsgroup.com

2052828730_LakeCopelandApts.thumb.jpg.0557ac0af5413de2c36b19aeedee08ff.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bungalower posts an update on the landmarked Kaley Elementary, whose students were transferred to the new Lake Como school in 2015.

It turns out OCPS is using it for professional development and audiology thus keeping the building occupied. While a broader community use might have been preferable to keep it integrated with the surrounding neighborhood, this helps to avoid demolition by neglect and is welcome for now.

https://bungalower.com/2019/05/07/ask-bungalower-whats-gonna-happen-with-kaley-elementary/

• Like 1