Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

9 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Probably because there’s no room for the required parking.   There was a proposal for apartments with an automated garage on the 2100 block and I think the Wadeview neighbors protested it.  It’s now a Simon Medical Imaging.

Yeah was more rhetorical than anything.  You would think even just lofts built above the crapty Imaging / Habit / etc plazas could sell for a pretty penny more than it costs to develop and would only require like 5 parking spots.

• Like 3

OH announced plans to build new 5 story, 66,000 sq ft corporate office building just west of Novel.

"The corporate offices is the Phase 2 of the infill redevelopment of that entire block, which started in 2017 with the renovation of an existing 95,000-square-foot annex office building on the site. It now houses the company’s human resources staff and serves as a hub for hiring and training for the company."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-orlando-health-sodo-20190607-qxaq4fy3frc4rjjltz4nxxrfxi-story.html

In other SoDo news, Delaney Hotel/ Tavern (aka Docs) says they are nearing completion and are hiring staff. They have 1 floor of approximately 24 rooms ready to rent and, once the outside is presentable (within weeks), will begin renting. A SoDo networking event is scheduled for 8/20 in the Tavern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

OH announced plans to build new 5 story, 66,000 sq ft corporate office building just west of Novel.

"The corporate offices is the Phase 2 of the infill redevelopment of that entire block, which started in 2017 with the renovation of an existing 95,000-square-foot annex office building on the site. It now houses the company’s human resources staff and serves as a hub for hiring and training for the company."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-orlando-health-sodo-20190607-qxaq4fy3frc4rjjltz4nxxrfxi-story.html

In other SoDo news, Delaney Hotel/ Tavern (aka Docs) says they are nearing completion and are hiring staff. They have 1 floor of approximately 24 rooms ready to rent and, once the outside is presentable (within weeks), will begin renting. A SoDo networking event is scheduled for 8/20 in the Tavern.

for those who cant see the picture/model

sodo health.png

• Like 2

Donut Expirament no longer coming to 211 E Michigan but Shaka Dunuts is.   They’ll be taking the former laundromat space on the east side of the building opposite end from the smoke shop.   The windows are wrapped with the new name and logo.

Donut Expirament no longer coming to 211 E Michigan but Shaka Dunuts is.   They’ll be taking the former laundromat space on the east side of the building opposite end from the smoke shop.   The windows are wrapped with the new name and logo.

Strange, especially considering Donut Experiment had already begun out of home adverts.

Whoever thought to put a donut shop in the same plaza as a smoke shop should get a medal.

17 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Strange, especially considering Donut Experiment had already begun out of home adverts.

Whoever thought to put a donut shop in the same plaza as a smoke shop should get a medal.

With all these donut places down there, SoDo and points south should have Orlando’s safest neighborhoods!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Speaking of donuts, did anyone avail themselves of any freebies yesterday? 

I scored a free apple fritter from Walmart Neighborhood Market. :P :thumbsup:

(National Donut Day)

I snagged a glazed donut from Donut King ... and then proceeded to buy 3 extra donuts.

Sadly, I’m marketing’s whore. 

• Haha 2

On 6/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, Jernigan said:

Part of me wonders if it will end up launching as PinkBox Doughnuts out of Vegas.   They use #shaka extensively.  Shaka seems like  a fun gimmick menu item but are they really going to “shape” the whole restaurant around it?

Negative on that - they’ve created a Yelp page.  Will be same concept as Donut experiment (create your own donut, ice cream donuts, takeout not dine in)

On 1/17/2019 at 3:58 PM, Jernigan said:

To circle back on this...this building was 11,860 sq ft.

Orlando Health just applied for a permit to build a new imaging center across the street in an empty lot they own.  6700 sq ft.

No movement on the building that was sold yet.

Construction fence went up on the empty lot referenced here which will be the new Imagine Center across the old one 

Edited by Jernigan

As an urbanist living in SoDo, there’s a unique frustration that most of our general positive visions for this area and all of the up and coming Main Street types  - pedestrians ruling the road, parallel parking spots and bike racks both full and an overwhelming sense of civic community - only happen here once a year on June 12.

It doesn’t hold a candle to the larger sentiments surrounding the Pulse tragedy and it’s anniversary, but I figured if there’s a place I could share this and have it be remotely relatable, it’s on this forum.

9A1829B6-9D82-4BBD-8906-B8BD068FBAB4.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was always under the impression they were different owners.  The old Albertson's/Walmart and the old Blockbuster/Applebee's.  Unless they're all the same company under different names.  Its funny because when you posted that I was thinking they just opened that Applebee's, but it's been almost 10 years.   I will add that Domino's just moved there a few years back from FernCreek, so I don't know how long their lease is.