Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

16 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

As first reported here on UrbanPlanet

690E367F-8988-4484-A358-59B143CB0BFB.jpeg

I wish they'd build some kind of wall with an opening or archway across that Michigan side entrance and exit. The exposed parking lot and backside of the building look kind of ugly just hanging out there like that.

• Like 1

Oof.  Mrs Codypet dated the creator of that chain back in 2013 and broke it off with him after he couldn't commit time to her because his business was taking off.  Now he's a multimillionaire and a can't help but think about Artie Ziff.  Did they close the old UBIF in the Target plaza or are they saturating the market that much?

Edited by codypet

Some other update pics from smaller projects in the District...

Self-storage facility on Sligh north of Columbia

Townplace Suites on Columbia

New OBGYN replacing the one that was under 408 at Rosalind - now off Sligh north of Columbia

Another photo of the Ubreakifix signage and also Shaka Donuts put their sign up on Michigan

CCF4CBC7-FC6C-4368-92CA-F06676CB67A8.jpeg

D9847EBA-414B-45AF-A59E-5B6ED1E8C9A6.jpeg

ADD7E59F-C956-47EB-B4FD-DD9AE5EF4FD1.jpeg

2D281F9F-3016-410E-B1F0-365BBAD3678D.jpeg

4B2F19EA-5F46-44D4-A26A-07367AB5DF3B.jpeg

02D4F05E-4A92-490D-A8A6-C7750DADD58A.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Self-storage facility on Sligh north of Columbia

Townplace Suites on Columbia

New OBGYN replacing the one that was under 408 at Rosalind - now off Sligh north of Columbia

Another photo of the Ubreakifix signage and also Shaka Donuts put their sign up on Michigan

I drove by all of those sites today. Did you feel someone was following you...?

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Is there space there for one of those? Reading about them they sound like Chuck E Cheese

I used to go to these when I visited my grandparents in Arizona - very much like Chuck E Cheese.  I wonder if it's the same company. 

6 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Don't know what to call this area but here are some shots.

Nice shots- particularly the rainbow. This area is still part of SoDo although I think the developer called it "Lucky Corner".

Re the apartments. Not sure I'd want my patio to be open and 20 feet from S. Orange. 

Edited by AmIReal
verbage
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Definitely not space for something like that.   I just saw the business added to Google.

E2B3EB6B-C491-4820-8DA6-876A9A51AFAB.jpeg

702EED3F-C7BA-4394-B2C9-17A02D1BC9C7.jpeg

Yeah this makes no sense to me. It would seem they would need at least 4-5k, if not like 7-8k sqft.  And unless there is another large lot behind the building no way they have enough parking for their use.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, spenser1058 said:

Everyone’s dying to go to the Mathnasium - who knew!?!

It's for the Medical Place on Orange.  Both those lots actually have no backyard as it is.  They were rezoned to add parking when it was built.  But apparently that wasn't even enough.

• Thanks 1

Maybe they should have just found a new lot to build their medical center instead of encroaching into the residential neighborhood behind it.  I mean that plaza front Michigan was vacant for 10 years and there are tons of places along Orange that would likely have sold if you threw Florida Hospital money at it.

Edited by codypet

Here is the City of Orlando's new marketing video for the SODO District.

With over $1 billion in new development coming over the next 5 years or so this district is going to change in a big way. Add in all then new infrastructure for bike and pedestrians and this area is primed to become Orlando's midtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgF_UFu5hJA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragerunner said:

With over $1 billion in new development coming over the next 5 years or so this district is going to change in a big way. Add in all then new infrastructure for bike and pedestrians and this area is primed to become Orlando's midtown.

Thanks for this. Not bad, but I wish they would have mentioned some of those infrastructure and transportation plans in the video.

I've never thought of the districts in a competitive perspective, but I now wonder how those stats they mentioned (investment/ income/ home/ education) compare to the other districts.

3 hours ago, ragerunner said:

Not to be critical, but how can it be "midtown"?

• Like 1

Some definite missed opportunities for sure.   Maybe it is because the audience is developers to come build around the tracks but I felt like they missed out on a ton of small businesses, art and Main Street stuff.   Also, is 35% with a college degree a bragging right?