Jump to content

Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)


SuperMan11MS

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Some definite missed opportunities for sure.   Maybe it is because the audience is developers to come build around the tracks but I felt like they missed out on a ton of small businesses, art and Main Street stuff.   Also, is 35% with a college degree a bragging right?

33.4% of Americans 25 or over are said to have a college degree so that makes SoDo slightly above average.

Given that the highest concentration of college-educated folks is in top-tier cities and college towns, that’s actually not too bad for a second-tier city with a high number of entry-level service workers.

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Some definite missed opportunities for sure.   Maybe it is because the audience is developers to come build around the tracks but I felt like they missed out on a ton of small businesses, art and Main Street stuff.   Also, is 35% with a college degree a bragging right?

Re-watched it and my opinion has changed. That was terrible.   I figured I missed some stuff the first time but watching it again ZERO small businesses.  Actually outside of Einstein’s (because of mural) and Flippers/Gators which were incidental, it was exclusively the box stores and Orlando Health.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Some definite missed opportunities for sure.   Maybe it is because the audience is developers to come build around the tracks but I felt like they missed out on a ton of small businesses, art and Main Street stuff.

Yes, the video felt very stock photo-ish and the message rang a little hollow to me, but Main St branding/marketing is still new for Orlando. Maybe next year's video will be more inclusive and have a larger budget.

 

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

 Also, is 35% with a college degree a bragging right?

I know retailers want to know this info in order to help determine disposable/discretionary income, but the way things are going these days sometimes even having a college degree means nothing (especially if they can't find work). And even if they do have a job their DTI is too high just covering the basics of student loans, rent/mortgage, car payment, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think marketing in general in this city is pretty bad. Don't know if the talent isn't here or what but cities like Atlanta ,Miami and Tampa are consistently better at marketing and video productions. This is even evident in our soccer teams. Look at the marketing/branding dept at OCSC and compare it to Atlanta United FC and Inter Miami FC teams and its night and day. Same for our basketball teams, same for our local news production and on and on. Stuff here look s VERY low budget compared to other markets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I think marketing in general in this city is pretty bad. Don't know if the talent isn't here or what but cities like Atlanta ,Miami and Tampa are consistently better at marketing and video productions. This is even evident in our soccer teams. Look at the marketing/branding dept at OCSC and compare it to Atlanta United FC and Inter Miami FC teams and its night and day. Same for our basketball teams, same for our local news production and on and on. Stuff here look s VERY low budget compared to other markets

UCF Athletics has some of the best content production and marketing in college athletics since Danny White has been there. It's usually a product of whoever is at the top. Orlando City's marketing used to be top notch - and then their original marketing lead left. 

I'm in marketing/advertising and Orlando is VERY small when it comes to it. Top talent goes elsewhere because the opportunities are extremely limited here. You have a few ad agencies, the theme parks and a few sports teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The video is not designed to market Main Street or small businesses. It's to market the district to national and international developers/investors and help their decision making boards understand in 60 seconds SODO location in Orlando. It also helps the larger investors see the district's core assets (Orlando Health, transit, location to downtown and other current large scale projects.) 

The video does what it was intended to do and was done in-house by City staff. A focused video and a low cost to the community.

Edited by ragerunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ragerunner said:

The video is not designed to market Main Street or small businesses. It's to market the district to national and international developers/investors and help their decision making boards understand in 60 seconds SODO location in Orlando. It also helps the larger investors see the district's core assets (Orlando Health, transit, location to downtown and other current large scale projects.) 

The video does what it was intended to do and was done in-house by City staff. A focused video and a low cost to the community.

But that’s not how we get the Whole Foods in SoDoSoPa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, bqknight said:

Orlando City's marketing used to be top notch - and then their original marketing lead left. 

I'm not a soccer guy, but even I know this is absolutely true.  I used to see OC stuff everywhere!  I know some of it has cooled off because the team apparently sucks, but the stands look empty when I see photos and there is nothing around town hyping them any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I'm not a soccer guy, but even I know this is absolutely true.  I used to see OC stuff everywhere!  I know some of it has cooled off because the team apparently sucks, but the stands look empty when I see photos and there is nothing around town hyping them any more.

Not to worry - dcluley will deliver us and OCSC to The Promised Land. I believe!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2019 at 11:37 PM, orlandouprise said:

I think marketing in general in this city is pretty bad. Don't know if the talent isn't here or what but cities like Atlanta ,Miami and Tampa are consistently better at marketing and video productions. This is even evident in our soccer teams. Look at the marketing/branding dept at OCSC and compare it to Atlanta United FC and Inter Miami FC teams and its night and day. Same for our basketball teams, same for our local news production and on and on. Stuff here look s VERY low budget compared to other markets

I can't agree with this regarding OCSC. I see Orlando City absolutely everywhere, hear about them on the radio, see them on TV. I've been through Atlanta twice in the past 2 months and, no joke, absolutely nothing. No billboards, banners, stickers, license plate frames, magnets- zero. Inter Miami isn't even in the league yet and half the time their website is down. I do know that radiowise, Orlando treats itself like a much bigger market than it actually is, and it's odd and has run a lot of people off to Tampa or Miami. 

Edited by Xander
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I don't know much about the marketing of Atlanta United but they sell out 60k+ seat stadium every game and its a massive event for them.

Our crowds suck because the team sucks and lacks a vision in the front office.

They’re good. Winning sells. Marketing can be horrible but if a team wins - people will come. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look what happened to the Magic at the end of the season last year.  I was at that Heat/Magic game at the beginning of the season where Let's go Heat echoed through the Amway Center.  Fast forward to the end of the season where people dusted off their old Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis jerseys and packed the stands in blue.   I seeent it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see they are putting scaffolding up at Lake Lucerne Towers. Hopefully it is too plant explosives to bring the building down, but I suspect that is not the purpose. Does anyone know what is going on? Is it simply pressure washing or painting or are they actually doing some sort of reno...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Orlando Health is getting ready to embark on a major renovation and expansion of our downtown campus and the immediate surrounding area ... ."

Both Orlando Health and Advent Health have been buying up properties adjacent to their main campuses and have requested zoning changes in order to add the newly acquired properties to the planning development of their main campuses.

From The OBJ: Orlando Health to rezone downtown campus for potential expansionOrlando Health, AdventHealth pursue rezoning for main campuses

Orhando Health MPB Project Overview: Orlando Health PD Amendment

ORMC.thumb.jpg.cef76fee839a5066d2ab33938fe04585.jpg

 

Should be interesting to see what else is in the pipeline. Hopefully more than just glorified parking garages.

 

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the MOB/garage that is facing toward Amtrak/Sunrail station we posted a couple of months ago. Lucerne towers is this: 

 

The next big thing is Arnold Palmer Hospital Children's Medical Pavilion which is a 7-story 215, 000 SF MOB/Outpatient facility that consolidates all non-hospital children's services under one roof and includes a parking garage and over traffic pedestrian bridges between APH, the Garage, and the new building. Phase II is 4-story 60,000 SF expansion of it with imaging/surgery center/sleep center/audiology clinic fronting Lake Beauty with a curved facade.

There is also an upcoming proposal for APH Bed tower addition. 

Not sure if I am allowed to show any of those master plans.  

 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, dcluley98 said:

This is the MOB/garage that is facing toward Amtrak/Sunrail station we posted a couple of months ago. Lucerne towers is this: 

 

The next big thing is Arnold Palmer Hospital Children's Medical Pavilion which is a 7-story 215, 000 SF MOB/Outpatient facility that consolidates all non-hospital children's services under one roof and includes a parking garage and over traffic pedestrian bridges between APH, the Garage, and the new building. Phase II is 4-story 60,000 SF expansion of it with imaging/surgery center/sleep center/audiology clinic fronting Lake Beauty with a curved facade.

There is also an upcoming proposal for APH Bed tower addition. 

Not sure if I am allowed to show any of those master plans.  

 

 

Huh? OH did not release renderings of the MOB/garage until now (at least not to employees) which is why I posted above... it's an email that OH sent a few days ago. If you have more unreleased renderings, by all means please share :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2019 at 7:04 PM, Jernigan said:

Re-watched it and my opinion has changed. That was terrible.   I figured I missed some stuff the first time but watching it again ZERO small businesses.  Actually outside of Einstein’s (because of mural) and Flippers/Gators which were incidental, it was exclusively the box stores and Orlando Health.

I just loved the shots of the train station - it gives SoDo panache all by itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.