Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

It’s because it meets your search criteria.  If you added Blossom to the street, Foxtail wouldn’t appear 

But I'm not doing an address search. I went to the property appraiser site https://www.ocpafl.org/searches/parcelsearch.aspx  and entered the parcel ID 36-2229-1740-02-010, which brought up the Foxtail lot. I selected the "property Features" tab and clicked on "view City of Orlando Permits" and it brings up 8 lines of permits- the first of which is the SOBT result. So apparently the OCPA site sends an open formatted search request to the City using the address- not the property ID- even though I never entered an address. 

No biggie, I'm just surprised their programming isn't a little tighter.

But thanks again for pointing what I should have seen on the permits. I think an auto repair shop would have been a bad use for the lot in question.

Now, has anyone heard an update on what is going on with this property? Is Foxtail still in it or are they all in on pursuit of the old Starbucks building?

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, AmIReal said:

But I'm not doing an address search. I went to the property appraiser site https://www.ocpafl.org/searches/parcelsearch.aspx  and entered the parcel ID 36-2229-1740-02-010, which brought up the Foxtail lot. I selected the "property Features" tab and clicked on "view City of Orlando Permits" and it brings up 8 lines of permits- the first of which is the SOBT result. So apparently the OCPA site sends an open formatted search request to the City using the address- not the property ID- even though I never entered an address. 

No biggie, I'm just surprised their programming isn't a little tighter.

But thanks again for pointing what I should have seen on the permits. I think an auto repair shop would have been a bad use for the lot in question.

Now, has anyone heard an update on what is going on with this property? Is Foxtail still in it or are they all in on pursuit of the old Starbucks building?

Saw this on NextDoor: "Foxtail was planning to use the existing building but the City of Orlando changed the codes and now wants all buildings brought closer to the road. This would have meant a great deal more expense for Foxtail so that may be why they pulled out of that location."

I don't understand how Foxtail was not aware of the City's requirements to begin with. I wonder how much of their expenses could be written off via the brownfield redevelopment tax incentive in order to make this work so that we're not stuck with yet another eyesore lot on S Orange Ave.

Went for a walk last night...

1) The FDOT Orange Ave improvements continue... I understand they want to have consistent lanes, but the effort they're having to go through is... odd... at times.  I'm guessing they didn't want street parking in front of the McDonalds for sight-line reasons, so they basically just built a median.... next to the sidewalk.

2) Signage already down off of Habit and people were inside working on/removing kitchen equipment.

3) SoDo installed a fountain next to their sign :tw_joy:

MVIMG_20190819_232237.jpg

MVIMG_20190819_231501.jpg

IMG_20190819_231804.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Went for a walk last night...

1) The FDOT Orange Ave improvements continue... I understand they want to have consistent lanes, but the effort they're having to go through is... odd... at times.  I'm guessing they didn't want street parking in front of the McDonalds for sight-line reasons, so they basically just built a median.... next to the sidewalk.

2) Signage already down off of Habit and people were inside working on/removing kitchen equipment.

3) SoDo installed a fountain next to their sign :tw_joy:

MVIMG_20190819_231501.jpg

So the Habit Burger closed down, eh?

Too bad. 

Their burgers weren't the best, but you can never have too many burger places.

Andy Likes Taco Bell. . . 

I Like the Taco Bell. 

Taco Bell is actually a very large corporation with very astute people working for it that decided to put a test-site retail location right in the heart of downtown Orlando. . . 

You all think that's an accident? 

These companies have a whole lot more data and predictions than we do. 

Taco Bell DT is GREAT imho. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

The bad news: proposed new townhomes at 2900 S Delaney maytake out a 1936 two-story home. The good news: you fans of Orlando shoring up its borders will be glad to hear the property may be annexed into the city:

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/sodo-townhomes-project

From Daily City

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The bad news: proposed new townhomes at 2900 S Delaney May take out a 1936 two-story home.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see how this can be viewed as "bad news". Have you seen the 1936 two-story home? Whoever owned that piece of junk finally got to cash out and hopefully did well on it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't see how this can be viewed as "bad news". Have you seen the 1936 two-story home? Whoever owned that piece of junk finally got to cash out and hopefully did well on it.

Sometimes we just mourn the loss of what could have been preserved that would have left a unique piece of the area’s sense of place instead of more generic row houses.

Diversity in the cityscape is a good thing. For some of us, the desire is to be Orlando, not an ersatz Manhattan, but each person’s views are valid.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, nite owℓ said:

Saw this on NextDoor: "Foxtail was planning to use the existing building but the City of Orlando changed the codes and now wants all buildings brought closer to the road. This would have meant a great deal more expense for Foxtail so that may be why they pulled out of that location."

I don't understand how Foxtail was not aware of the City's requirements to begin with. I wonder how much of their expenses could be written off via the brownfield redevelopment tax incentive in order to make this work so that we're not stuck with yet another eyesore lot on S Orange Ave.

This is incorrect information from NextDoor.

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

It's not that bad. A little bit of renovation could've turned it into a real gem rather than what will most likely be yet another example of the kind of bland, repetitive, cheap looking crapitecture we usually get around here.

• Like 1

I got a chance to check out the new Delaney Hotel and Tavern. I'm very impressed with what Dr. Winters pulled off with this renovation- it is really well done. The bar is huge (22 seats) with additional bar area seating and it is beautiful. The dining area is really nice (I prefer the bar) and the rooms are swanky mod style. They were operating a limited bar program so I didn't get to test the bartenders abilities and I never made it over to sample food. However, the Executive Chef came from Santiago's and he seems to have put together a nice menu- not cheap, not overpriced, but about where I would expect in a high quality tavern.

I heard they were having the first hotel guest tonight and have Grand Opening scheduled for 9/5. I assume they will run soft opening between now and then, but staff was tight lipped and would  not verify.

I'm hopeful they pull this off. The previous iterations were poorly conceived, executed and timed, but everything about this one seems to fit. 

Cross posting in bars and restaurants.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Well, what's the tea? Why has the building remained in a partially demolished state for the past year??

I imagine it could be as simple as “hey look that Starbucks is available.   Let’s do that!”  Though that theory is less likely the longer it doesn’t happen.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I got a chance to check out the new Delaney Hotel and Tavern. I'm very impressed with what Dr. Winters pulled off with this renovation- it is really well done. The bar is huge (22 seats) with additional bar area seating and it is beautiful. The dining area is really nice (I prefer the bar) and the rooms are swanky mod style. They were operating a limited bar program so I didn't get to test the bartenders abilities and I never made it over to sample food. However, the Executive Chef came from Santiago's and he seems to have put together a nice menu- not cheap, not overpriced, but about where I would expect in a high quality tavern.

I heard they were having the first hotel guest tonight and have Grand Opening scheduled for 9/5. I assume they will run soft opening between now and then, but staff was tight lipped and would  not verify.

I'm hopeful they pull this off. The previous iterations were poorly conceived, executed and timed, but everything about this one seems to fit. 

Cross posting in bars and restaurants.

They did a very nice job with the Delaney Hotel and Tavern. Its going to be a great addition to the SODO area.

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

K&G replacing the Bealls in the Market at Southside strip on Michigan...

Also, “Classic Cuts” joining shaka donuts and SMOKE SHOP across the street.

C6374B81-9ADD-4472-94E6-4A6E47FEA81E.jpeg

Do you know if they’re moving from their spot at E Colonial or are they opening another location?

Edited by Uncommon