Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, Jernigan said:

They developed the plaza with Habit Burger/Mattress One/Verizon; Luckys Corner and they are doing the renovations at Fort Gatlin plaza.  

Thanks!  I figured they were a realtor/developer.  They are sure doing a lot in our neck of the woods.  I looked on the property appraiser's site and saw that one large lot a couple blocks off of Orange was owned by Blurock, but nothing else.  Have you seen/heard that they are buying more than that? The one parcel is a large lot, maybe an acre or two in  size currently occupied  by a 1920's home that is currently being used as a rental. Thanks again for the info.

On June 12, 2016 tragedy struck Orlando at the Pulse Night Club. An international design competition has been initiated to remember the 49 lives that were taken, their families, the 67 injured victims and all the affected survivors. This memorial and museum will be designed to honor, remember, engage and educate. 

6 Design and Architectural firms from around the world have submitted the concept designs for the Memorial and Museum. The One Pulse Foundation will select the winning team on October 30, 2019.

To learn more visit: www.onepulsefoundation.org

48837509816_8d2147df56_b.jpg

48837134718_42e2198a61_b.jpg

48837768937_1ef6767317_b.jpg

48837768842_f6176de1ac_b.jpg

48837218623_b6094594ae_b.jpg

48837219028_ddd71ce62e_b.jpg

48837218408_20ef0cfe3a_b.jpg

48837768272_9ff8a51d8e_b.jpg

48837592661_aee833f7de_b.jpg

48837592726_fb269c1812_b.jpg

48837219633_67c30f9b61_b.jpg

48837221078_7b84082278_b.jpg

48837531961_aae9a289a7_b.jpg

48837772842_038bb1ab12_b.jpg

48837707192_93351af7c0_b.jpg

48837532021_b8ef9d3384_b.jpg

48837532131_b2b254be11_b.jpg

48837158203_1066097804_b.jpg

48837532071_6aa32db9a1_b.jpg

Edited by ragerunner
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, ragerunner said:

On June 12, 2016 tragedy struck Orlando at the Pulse Night Club. An international design competition has been initiated to remember the 49 lives that were taken, their families, the 67 injured victims and all the affected survivors. This memorial and museum will be designed to honor, remember, engage and educate. 

6 Design and Architectural firms from around the world have submitted the concept designs for the Memorial and Museum. The One Pulse Foundation will select the winning team on October 30, 2019.

To learn more visit: www.onepulsefoundation.org

Did they mention if the building on S Orange Ave will remain standing??

26 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Ch ch changes.

Panera will be replaced with The Juicy Crab:

https://www.thejuicycrab.com/location/orlando-fl-3-coming-soon/

Sing it!

Seafood - yummmmmy. I still haven’t gotten over losing the seafood place at TPC. Jax is ok but mostly meh.

Edited by spenser1058

Major infrastructure projects are coming to SODO over the next few years.

A new Kaley streetscape plan is being proposed that will create quality pedestrian space between the Museum and the Memorial as well. So you could walk between the facilities or ride a bus.

Their are several pedestrian projects including a new $6 million dollar grade seperated bike/pedestrian trail being built from Michigan to Gore and from Gore into the downtown urban trail (eastside of Division Street). There will also be a bike/pedestrian trail from Division to Sligh on Columbia. This will connect the Sunrail/Amtrak station on Sligh with the new bike/pedestrian infrastructure in the district. 

Columbia and Sligh will also be rebuilt with significant pedestrian/streetscape improvements.

The SODO area is going to look and function very differently by 2021/22.

All these projects will bring about $30 million in public infrastructure improvements for streets, pedestrian and bikes by 2022. These projects are just the beginning for the district.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Panera will be replaced with The Juicy Crab:

I noticed last week they had a billboard on S. Orange indicating a Michigan location, but I couldn't figure out where it would be. Thanks for the update.

10 minutes ago, ragerunner said:

All these projects will bring about $30 million in public infrastructure improvements for streets, pedestrian and bikes by 2022. These projects are just the beginning for the district.

Fantastic news for the area. Much of this sounds above and beyond what I had previously read on the SoDo NID update. Is all this a definite go (excepting the Kaley streetscape)- meaning it is approved and funded? Specifically the bike/ ped way on Division.

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I noticed last week they had a billboard on S. Orange indicating a Michigan location, but I couldn't figure out where it would be. Thanks for the update.

Fantastic news for the area. Much of this sounds above and beyond what I had previously read on the SoDo NID update. Is all this a definite go (excepting the Kaley streetscape)- meaning it is approved and funded? Specifically the bike/ ped way on Division.

Yes the Bike/ped on Division is fully funded and construction will begin in late 2020 early 2021. All other projects are designed 90% or higher and funded. (except for Kaley)

The Columbia/Sligh improvements have been a long time coming.  I think those were designed well before the Division trail and linear park were even conceptualized.   Anyone know if the delay has been due to the city or the hospital?   While it may not seem like a big deal, it’s really the first and last thing you’d see if taking SunRail into the District.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, Jernigan said:

PDQ going up at Southside.   Also, another coming soon there is Mooyah (burgers, shakes, fries) a few doors down from Jersey Mike’s

Also a Greek place opened up in there 2 weeks ago and Hungry Pants is a couple blocks away slated for within the next 2 weeks.

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I hope this is what will be replacing what was supposed to be their "Green Wall" that never came to fruition. If so, I'll take it!

What they promised:

534200809_GoreAxon.thumb.jpg.e21fd316caa83272552cb710b8246e5b.jpg1909314597_NOVEL1.thumb.jpg.317ff4443f66baaa8e1c2a77128a2f48.jpg

What we got:

NOVEL.thumb.jpg.104e6748e347a21df12fe1461385e26f.jpg

Link to the artist's page: https://www.deedeemorrisonsculpture.com/bloom

Edited by nite owℓ

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I hope this is what will be replacing what was supposed to be their "Green Wall" that never came to fruition. If so, I'll take it!

What they promised

What we got:

NOVEL.thumb.jpg.104e6748e347a21df12fe1461385e26f.jpg

It doesn't look quite that bad....

Screenshot-36.png

...with the trees planted and the signage painted on.

Would rather see the green, though.

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It doesn't look quite that bad....

Screenshot-36.png

...with the trees planted and the signage painted on.

Would rather see the green, though.

I'm just not a big fan of solid blank walls facing the street... TBH I wasn't crazy about the elevated windows or the green wall because they create voids in transparency of the building facade. Streetscape code encourages transparency from both the sidewalk and inside the business and that includes window coverings, signage and solid walls: they do not create a welcoming environment for pedestrians.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm just not a big fan of solid blank walls facing the street... TBH I wasn't crazy about the elevated windows or the green wall because they create voids in transparency of the building facade. Streetscape code encourages transparency from both the sidewalk and inside the business and that includes window coverings, signage and solid walls: they do not create a welcoming environment for pedestrians.

That all may be true, but an opening in the wall at that particular location would have created a large, free and open access from the sidewalk into the back of Earth Fare's deli dept and food prep area.

Not something I think they'd be too pleased with. 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

That all may be true, but an opening in the wall at that particular location would have created a large, free and open access from the sidewalk into the back of Earth Fare's deli dept and food prep area.

Not something I think they'd be too pleased with. 

I'm not saying the void needs to be replaced with more doors (doors already exist in that corner) -- just windows at street level is all. If they're going to put a building on the corner of a moderate to high-traffic intersection, transparency comes first and the onus is on the tenant to figure out how to work with the building's layout. "We can't have windows because of the juice bar/deli" is a poor excuse to defy basic streetscape tenets.

• Like 1