Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

12 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

the building will be used for some of Orlando Health's storage needs

at least its being put to good use...

12 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

It would be great if they decided to just demo and bring Lake Beauty Park to the street.

Definitely a great idea. The lot is pretty small, irregular shaped and abuts the current park... unless you want to close Lake Beauty Dr. (unlikely). Then you could build all the way to the Women's Radiologic building- which I believe is going away.

They are closing Lake Beauty Drive when they demo the   buildings on the south side of the road to make way for the Arnold Palmer Hospital Children's Pavilion. Lake Beauty Park will be a centerpiece in between the new APH Children's Pavilion, APH New Inpatient  Bed Tower, and Future ORMC Expansion. 

2064962790_PagesfromAPHChildrensPavilionMasterPlanDraftV112718.thumb.png.fb574487cdbca640bea4ff84fda4b6ea.png

Pages from APH Children's Pavilion Master Plan Draft V1 12 7 18-2.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

They are closing Lake Beauty Drive when they demo the   buildings on the south side of the road to make way for the Arnold Palmer Hospital Children's Pavilion. Lake Beauty Park will be a centerpiece in between the new APH Children's Pavilion, APH New Inpatient  Bed Tower, and Future ORMC Expansion. 

Thank you for clearing that up. It really is nice to have people in the know skulking about...

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I understand a Pulse walk of sorts should also traverse this part of Orange connecting Pulse to ORMC?

That is correct. The survivor walk will go from Kaley to the OH Emergency room area (west side of the Orange Avenue). It will be built as part of the phase 2 of Orange Avenue upgrades in 2021 from Grant to Gore.

Here is the first completed crosswalk at the corner of Orange and Grant.

49247896591_f0692c3923_4k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, ragerunner said:

That is correct. The survivor walk will go from Kaley to the OH Emergency room area (west side of the Orange Avenue). It will be built as part of the phase 2 of Orange Avenue upgrades in 2021 from Grant to Gore.

Here is the first completed crosswalk at the corner of Orange and Grant.

49247896591_f0692c3923_4k.jpg

Looks pretty good considering its limitations.

Still would have preferred brick mosaics though.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:08 PM, Jernigan said:

Blurock assembling land on Orange Ave between Highway Place and Jennie Hewel Drive...

Yep, now hearing that Blurock reps will be meeting with homeowners in this neighborhood soon to discuss plans for redevelopment along Orange  between Jennie Jewel and Highway place (neighborhood next to The Mark at SODO complex, FKA Holly Garden Apts)  and back into the neighborhood three blocks deep.   Preliminarily, word is they are looking at new commercial along Orange, apartments along Magnolia and Townhouses along Rosalind (not to be confused with the Rosalind and Magnolia Avenues downtown mind you).  There are still quite a few single family residences in that span that would be affected.  I presume they are planning to purchase them, but I'm anxious to see what their plans are at this meeting.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t seen faux wood covering a building since the ‘70’s, but I imagine credit union members are also the sort who like to break out their Birkenstocks and crunch on granola as well, so perhaps it’s fitting.

Anyway, the Orlando Credit Union, which replaces an earlier bank on S. Orange, looks all spiffy and the new signs are, to say the least, eye-catching.

So, keep on truckin’ and ease on down to SoDo and open a new share account. It’s groovy, man!

Edited by spenser1058

On 1/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

Let’s check out Hungry Pants (don’t stare!) with Scott J:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/74-vegetarianvegan/5039-hungry-pants

RIP, Carol’s Diner. But you live on in television. It was featured pretty prominently in an episode of OWN’s “David Makes Man.”

• Like 1

Press release out to OH employees. New ortho hospital to be built. 

I am thrilled and honored to announce that Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic and Orlando Health are forming a next generation partnership, bringing together the most respected orthopedic and sports medicine practices in the southeast region!

Under this arrangement, all Jewett Orthopaedic physicians and team members will be fully integrated into Orlando Health. The current practices of Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic and Orlando Health Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Group will begin working to leverage the strengths of both groups for the benefit of the region.

In addition to a robust outpatient and clinical practice that cares for more than 250,000 patients annually, Jewett brings to the relationship more than eight decades of innovations in orthopedic care including the design and development of several total hip, knee and shoulder replacement systems used worldwide.

The combined strength of our partnership with Jewett is the catalyst for creating a new orthopedic facility on the downtown campus. When complete in 2023, the Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Hospital will be a 195,000-square-foot inpatient facility dedicated solely to the care of orthopedic patients. We will break ground late spring 2020 at the corner of Lucerne Terrace and Columbia Street, the future site of our new orthopedic hospital.

As one of the only orthopedic-specific hospitals in the southeast, it will offer unparalleled comfort and ease for patients – from arrival through departure. Designed to capitalize on efficiency of service, we’ll virtually eliminate patient wait times at this facility. A centrally located diagnostic center will provide immediate results for physicians and patients. Patients on the go will be able to view records, test results, schedules and provider communication through Epic’s MyChart platform.

This partnership brings together three key elements in orthopedic care that will set us apart from others across the nation: a robust outpatient practice provided by recognized leaders in private orthopedic and sports medicine, an internationally known trauma program, and one of the nation’s top training programs for orthopedic physician.

Like the many other amazing specialties that have made us a healthcare leader, we expect patients throughout our region to seek us out for best in orthopedic care.

Please join me in welcoming Jewett Orthopaedic to the Orlando Health family

31 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Also, 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-orlando-health-jewett-merger-new-hospital-20200104-jrbam5tzwjg5jfbos335o4vbmm-story.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/01/04/orlando-health-acquires-local-orthopedic-firm-to.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

That will be the SE corner of Lucerne Ter and Columbia- 3 acres which is now mostly surface parking. The new hospital will be 7 story, 75 beds with 20 operating rooms. 

"“It’ll have more beds that UCF Lake Nona Medical Center, if you want to think about it that way,” said Strong, comparing the size of the new hospital to the 64-bed teaching hospital that UCF and HCA are building adjacent to UCF College of Medicine in Lake Nona Medical City."

49 minutes ago, shardoon said:

I am thrilled and honored to announce that Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic and Orlando Health are forming a next generation partnership, bringing together the most respected orthopedic and sports medicine practices in the southeast region!

Under this arrangement, all Jewett Orthopaedic physicians and team members will be fully integrated into Orlando Health. The current practices of Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic and Orlando Health Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Group will begin working to leverage the strengths of both groups for the benefit of the region.

In addition to a robust outpatient and clinical practice that cares for more than 250,000 patients annually, Jewett brings to the relationship more than eight decades of innovations in orthopedic care including the design and development of several total hip, knee and shoulder replacement systems used worldwide.

The combined strength of our partnership with Jewett is the catalyst for creating a new orthopedic facility on the downtown campus. When complete in 2023, the Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Hospital will be a 195,000-square-foot inpatient facility dedicated solely to the care of orthopedic patients. We will break ground late spring 2020 at the corner of Lucerne Terrace and Columbia Street, the future site of our new orthopedic hospital.

As one of the only orthopedic-specific hospitals in the southeast, it will offer unparalleled comfort and ease for patients – from arrival through departure. Designed to capitalize on efficiency of service, we’ll virtually eliminate patient wait times at this facility. A centrally located diagnostic center will provide immediate results for physicians and patients. Patients on the go will be able to view records, test results, schedules and provider communication through Epic’s MyChart platform.

This partnership brings together three key elements in orthopedic care that will set us apart from others across the nation: a robust outpatient practice provided by recognized leaders in private orthopedic and sports medicine, an internationally known trauma program, and one of the nation’s top training programs for orthopedic physician.

Like the many other amazing specialties that have made us a healthcare leader, we expect patients throughout our region to seek us out for best in orthopedic care.

Please join me in welcoming Jewett Orthopaedic to the Orlando Health family

That’s kinda huge. Jewett is a very big deal (my mom worked there when the only location was on E. Colonial before a group of their doctors invested in Park Lake Towers  - that part didn’t go so well).

Jewett, among other things, helped to pioneer hip replacements and artificial hips. My grandmother was a recipient when the procedure was still in its earliest stages.

Edited by spenser1058

52 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Wonder exactly parcel(s) it will encompass....

Screenshot-161.png

The entire block west of Lucerne Terrace I'm guessing by the rendering.

I think you're viewing the wrong plot. The article said SE corner o Lucerne Ter and Columbia so that would be the lower right hand corner of your picture.

49 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I think you're viewing the wrong plot. The article said SE corner o Lucerne Ter and Columbia so that would be the lower right hand corner of your picture.

Oh, okay.

I didn't read any of the linked articles, just the press release shardoon posted, which only says the corner but didn't specify which quadrant.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Oh, okay.

I didn't read any of the linked articles, just the press release shardoon posted, which only says the corner but didn't specify which quadrant.

I know a lot of folks don't click on the articles- I know hate clicking on Twitter links. That is why I generally try to summarize what is in the articles.