Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

The SoDo location is among a humorous number of grocery stores within a few blocks...Publix, Freshfields, SuperTarget, Walmart Neighborhood...and then Earth Fare isn’t that far.

Luckys obviously didn’t seem concerned but I wonder if others will and also wonder what else could take its place.   Perhaps an ethnic market (latin, asian?) or something else entirely.

53 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

We have angered the grocery gods yet again.  Sorry we have forsaken you Publix.  Be merciful with your prices.

In other words.....Help us Winn-Dixie, you're our only hope!

I'm hoping Sprouts sees this as an opportunity to expand.  But I will be quick to caution that Kroger might pull a Publix and refuse to release the leases to another grocery tenant.  It happened in Dr. Phillips until the Marketplace owner refused to renew the Publix lease (which was inherited when Publix bought the Albertson's locations) unless Publix opened a store there.

Edited by codypet

I read last week that Kroger has been having a tough go of it lately, so I suppose the demise of the weak links is inevitable. 

Frankly, the upper end “food boutiques” as @JFW657 so aptly dubbed them, have been ongoing tales of weak sales/sf. Even amazon hasn’t been able to do as much as it hoped with Whole Foods.

• Like 1

Went to Luckys on Colonial when it opened with my wife. We were laughing our ass off. Every little tiny bottle of small package on the shelf was $5. Yes, five even. Like somebody just slapped dozens and dozens of $5 dollar labels on everything. They couldn't even give a little thought about the pricing, such as $4.89. or $4.95. Nope, $5. 

• Like 1

Kroger just can’t beat Publix in P’s own backyard.

Of course, Publix hasn’t so far gotten within two states of Cincinnati, Kroger’s hometown, either.

Meanwhile, Publix, generally the most possible grocery chain thanks to its Florida cash cow, can keep raising prices and make even more money. Thank goodness a lot of that money cycles back to Lakeland!

Edited by spenser1058

31 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Lucky’s was awesome. Very sad about this. I was a huge fan of their meats, especially their seafood.

I find this interesting. The subpar meat is one of the reasons that myself and numerous people I've spoken to didn't really adopt it.  I had chicken breasts that had so much gristle in them that really made it less appealing as a store. I did hear good things about the Salmon though, and the make your own poke bowl something I enjoyed, so maybe the seafood was worth it.

5 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I find this interesting. The subpar meat is one of the reasons that myself and numerous people I've spoken to didn't really adopt it.  I had chicken breasts that had so much gristle in them that really made it less appealing as a store. I did hear good things about the Salmon though, and the make your own poke bowl something I enjoyed, so maybe the seafood was worth it.

Competition from Lucky’s and some of the other chains has forced Publix to adopt $9.99/lb as their regular price for farmed salmon. Before, it was hitting as much as $12.99/lb. Since I eat more seafood than any other protein, I’m grateful.

4 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

The Atlantic salmon fillets were the best I’ve ever had.