Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

9 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Any chance the J in JFW stands for Joe?

They named the plaza clearly to sweeten the deal to secure their anchor tenant which worked.  Now that Lucky’s is gone, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Joe his name on it as he did the car wash across the street.

Joe's Corner?

I kinda like Trader's Corner.

I just want a Corner, dammit!!!! 

I think it has to be a Greenwise due to the square footage of Luckys market. I don’t see why they would put a mini Publix next to one of their largest Publix in the area (sodo). The two in Dr Phillips makes sense because they are similar in size but on different corners. That makes them both appealing depending on which direction you’re driving. The sodo Luckys is literally next door to Publix on the same side of Orange ave.  Plus luckys is already equipped and laid out similarly to a Greenwise.  

1 hour ago, otowntiger1 said:

Wow! First Lucky's and now Earth Fare!?  The two new ones in the SODO have only been opened a few months.  Crazy! Very disconcerting.  What's going on?

Whole Foods and the other specialty grocery stores were once the only place to find organics and other less-processed goods.

As those items went mainstream (heck, Walmart even has them now, let alone Target’s Good and Gather and Publix GreenWise), the prices are more affordable elsewhere and the newer entries couldn’t keep up.

In Orlando in particular, if major grocers like Albertsons and Kroger couldn’t fight the Publix juggernaut, it was always going to be tough for smaller companies to do so.

Edited by spenser1058

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

In Orlando in particular, if major grocers like Albertsons and Kroger couldn’t fight the Publix juggernaut, it was always going to be tough for smaller companies to do so.

It may be tough but you gotta hand it to the scrappy guy that's still hanging in there

image.png.31f3ebf1cc2124082bc773bdcb26e720.png

You're our only hope from keeping us out of Walmart!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, otowntiger1 said:

Wow! First Lucky's and now Earth Fare!?  The two new ones in the SODO have only been opened a few months.  Crazy! Very disconcerting.  What's going on?

It definitely felt like a matter of time. How many new grocery stores can be introduced into a market in such a short period of time and survive? I wouldn't say we had a huge need for more stores before the boom, and the boom also happened a time when people are also now buying more groceries online with Amazon and the like.... I am kind of surprised they didn't try to figure out a way to wait and see if Lucky's closing would help Earth Fare out at all.

IMO, organic/minimally processed food is still a novelty and I still wouldn't consider them mainstream since most people will balk at spending $5 dollars on a loaf of organic sprouted bread (but won't hesitate to drop 1k on a freaking phone). A lot of people still haven't been brought into the Whole Foods-fold because let's be honest, eating healthier can be expensive. I've never seen Earth Fare busy (i.e. packed w/shoppers), but that's just my anecdotal experience. I hoped Earth Fare would bring back the OG Winter Park Chamberlains vibe w/a robust cafeteria... they were ok but could've used some fine-tuning. Plus Earth Fare kept touting its affordability for the masses prior to opening, but the prices are no different from other specialty grocers. The bottled juice at the smoothie bar is $7... affordable where???

Never been to Aldi (for some reason I mistakenly thought it was the equivalent of Big Lots lol) but people seem to like it -- do they have a cafeteria? I hate cooking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm not so disappointed that Earth Fare is closing as I'm concerned about...

a) how long the space will sit empty and

b) what kind of business will go in its place.

Probably something crappy and boring that I'll never have the slightest inclination to visit.

That corner isn’t particularly pedestrian-friendly and with all the traffic I wonder if it’s off putting to drivers getting in and out of the garage (I was never tempted to try even though I use the SoDo Target garage often). So, it may be a challenge, but here’s hoping I’m wrong.