Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

So here  is the interesting thing about this. 

Orlando Health are not dumb, they have been building out and planning around   both the largest car artery and the potential rail artery for a long time. 

That's very interesting to see and  the future proofing is notable. 

Starting somewhat small, to hedge their bets, but it's there now... 

Edited by dcluley98

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing OFD#5 rebuilt right there 

I was thinking the same thing. But I worry the threat of losing another old building will be the last straw for @spenser1058. He might chain himself to the front door in an attempt to stop the demolition... he'll claim it's for historic preservation and nothing to do with the firemen. :tw_smirk:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I was thinking the same thing. But I worry the threat of losing another old building will be the last straw for @spenser1058. He might chain himself to the front door in an attempt to stop the demolition... he'll claim it's for historic preservation and nothing to do with the firemen. :tw_smirk:

Mmmmmm, firefighters.... actually, not really my type. Otoh, there’s not really anything particularly notable about OFS5 except it looks a lot like one from EMERGENCY! It’s also jammed in on the corner. A new station would be great.

While we’re at it, Buddy and his Backhoe(!) may also level that awful tinting place and the 7-Eleven with the falling apart sign..

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Mmmmmm, firefighters.... actually, not really my type. Otoh, there’s not really anything particularly notable about OFS5 except it looks a lot like one from EMERGENCY! It’s also jammed in on the corner. A new station would be great.

While we’re at it, Buddy and his Backhoe(!) may also level that awful tinting place and the 7-Eleven with the falling apart sign..

Yeah there are still quite a few places in SoDo that would benefit from a Backhoe-spree.

P.S. You don't know what you're missing... a lot of today's firefighter-paramedic hybrids no longer have the meathead look. :tw_love:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Yeah there are still quite a few places in SoDo that would benefit from a Backhoe-spree.

P.S. You don't know what you're missing... a lot of today's firefighter-paramedic hybrids no longer have the meathead look. :tw_love:

Ever since I found out Joseph P. Kennedy III is straight and happily married, I’ve just been living my cloistered life along The Shores of Eola.

OFD#5 has some noteworthiness for its role assisting during Pulse.  Nothing the building needs to be preserved for - but if it deserved a marker or something to tell that story then I’d hope it could be built into a future version off the facility.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

OFD#5 has some noteworthiness for its role assisting during Pulse.  Nothing the building needs to be preserved for - but if it deserved a marker or something to tell that story then I’d hope it could be built into a future version off the facility.

That brings up another important point -  what might seem unimportant or insignificant or important outside the neighborhood might have huge meaning to locals - it’s why the immediate community’s concerns wishes should always be taken into account before firing up the Backhoe.

More townhomes in SoDo - on Pineloch at Delaney Street.

Permit Number: MPL2020-10041
Project: 2900 S Delaney Townhomes
Address: 2900 DELANEY ST Orlando FL
Description: Administrative Master Plan to remove existing residence at 2900 S. Delaney St. and replace with 5 fee-simple residential townhome units.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I saw the liquidation auction for the Lake Nona store a couple of months ago, but not the Sodo... Interesting.

52 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

My understanding was that the original core that was resurrecting this wanted to stick closer to their Carolina roots. Otoh, they reached out to the last CEO who was a creature of the PEF that drove them in the dirt. So, I guess it could happen but that strikes me as an awkward location either way.

I also question the model to begin with (especially as we head into rough water in the economy). The granddaddy of the concept, Whole Foods, was in trouble before it was bailed out by Amazon and has been mostly static ever since. The other stores that have come into Florida have now crashed and burned (except Sprouts which I haven’t heard a peep about).

This seems like a niche market that tried to scale up without a wide enough base. Mainstream grocers like Kroger, Publix and even Walmart have co-opted most of the offerings, further eroding the market.

In a mid level market like Orlando with lower wage scales, I wonder how much specialty grocers can expand beyond Whole Foods (even Publix seems to be in crawl mode with their GreenWise spinoffs).

Edited by spenser1058

5 hours ago, jack said:

Nice to see the continuous upgrade down orange ave. It is very much needed. 

I took a Google Street View tour of the streets involved off of Orange Ave.

Even though the existing structures back there are nothing special, it's gonna be a shame to see that shady oasis get mowed down and turned into a barren dirt field, then replaced with the typically ugly, repetitive generic crapitecture these things always turn out to be.

I hate to keep harping on the same subject, but if they at least keep some of the really big old oaks back in there, I wouldn't dislike it so much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Even though the existing structures back there are nothing special, it's gonna be a shame to see that shady oasis get mowed down and turned into a barren dirt field, then replaced with the typically ugly, repetitive generic crapitecture these things always turn out to be.

I hate to keep harping on the same subject, but if they at least keep some of the really big old oaks back in there, I wouldn't dislike it so much.

Cities are supposed to grow organically but instead they just plow over everything in their path like a Long Island potato field and give us the latest version of Levittown. And they say we don’t know anything about cities. Fascinating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Its a reasonable trade off. That stretch of orange down to sand lake need a lot of TLC. Its amazing that a city of this size has some many infill vacant lots. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

Its a reasonable trade off. That stretch of orange down to sand lake need a lot of TLC. Its amazing that a city of this size has some many infill vacant lots. 

Guess we'll just have to disagree.

To me it smacks of the kind of ugly urban sprawl we don't need.

I imagine the design will be just more of the same. 

Cheaply built, uninspired junk like you see everywhere else.

Development for the sake of development. 

Crappy apartments surrounded by asphalt with space for another mattress store and another nail salon.

Oh boy. 

• Like 2