Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

9 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Where Ross is. You can still see the green marble covered over in some spots.

I thought Ross is the Winged Version at Southside Center @spenser1058 was alluding to?

The Deco one sounds like it was just north of the old First Green Bank on Orange (Where Radio Shack was before it moved across from Pulse)

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I thought Ross is the Winged Version at Southside Center @spenser1058 was alluding to?

The Deco one sounds like it was just north of the old First Green Bank on Orange (Where Radio Shack was before it moved across from Pulse)

There was a Publix in the Market at Southside strip center, but I'm not sure if it had the winged sign on the front.

It was there until the late 80's or early 90's.

Similar to the one that used to be on E. Colonial in the strip center across from Fashion Square. 

Edited by JFW657

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

There was a Publix in the Market at Southside strip center, but I'm not sure if it had the winged sign on the front.

It was there until the late 80's or early 90's.

Similar to the one that used to be on E. Colonial in the strip center across from Fashion Square. 

It did indeed have the wing when it opened. As @jgardnerucf noted, it was about where Ross is now.

It also never converted to Food World in the ‘60’s or early ‘70’s.

45 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It did indeed have the wing when it opened. As @jgardnerucf noted, it was about where Ross is now.

It also never converted to Food World in the ‘60’s or early ‘70’s.

Actually, the Publix at Herndon Plaza was a latecomer (Southside Plaza is from the late ‘50’s). 

The Herndon Plaza store was originally a Pantry Pride which opened in ‘72. It paired with the JM Fields next door (same company). When they bit the dust about 1979, Kmart took over the JM Fields and the Pantry Pride sat empty for a while.

The winged Publix on E.Colonial (it opened in 1956 and eventually replaced the deco store we now know as Colonial Photo and Hobby) was at the original Colonial Plaza strip (there was also an A&P).

Colonial Plaza expanded in 1983 to add Ivey’s and enclose part of the original strip center. The A&P on the strip was long gone and the Publix decided to move (it was replaced by Rhodes).

The replacement was the heavily remodeled former Pantry Pride at Herndon Plaza. The new Publix opened about 1985 and stuck around after the new Colonialtown Publix opened about 2000 but finally closed after the Baldwin Park Publix opened a couple of years later.

At one point, all the earlier Publii gave S&H Green Stamps. The Herndon Plaza and later stores never did.

One other note: starting in the mid ‘70’s, Publix changed their logo and began to retire the winged front stores for the typically boring, generic storefronts that decade is infamous for. The Southside Plaza store was probably converted but I don’t remember. Some, like College Park, never were until they rebuilt the store from the ground up (when they got a faux version of the original on the new building).

You now know more about pleasurable shopping than you ever wished to...

Edited by spenser1058

11 hours ago, Gtothree2748 said:

No Greenwise logo on the sign, interested to see what they are going to do with this space. 

22DF716D-133F-4FFD-9A72-5879051E0EF5.jpeg

No GreenWise on the sign, but at the same time, that's not Publix's store logo. That's their corporate logo, so at this point, I think it can still be anything. I have a hard time seeing them putting in another standard Publix, when the one across the street is (now) one of the better ones post-renovation. I wish they would expand their Chinese TakeOut options to more stores. Can't beat the value...and it's good! (for a cheap Chinese takeout). 

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Makes sense given the apt name.

It's technically Doo Daa Lane!

51 minutes ago, bqknight said:

No GreenWise on the sign, but at the same time, that's not Publix's store logo. That's their corporate logo, so at this point, I think it can still be anything. I have a hard time seeing them putting in another standard Publix, when the one across the street is (now) one of the better ones post-renovation. I wish they would expand their Chinese TakeOut options to more stores. Can't beat the value...and it's good! (for a cheap Chinese takeout). 

I've been telling y'all for months from peeps at hq, it's a greenwise, gheeze la wheese.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

It's technically Doo Daa Lane!

I've been telling y'all for months from peeps at hq, it's a greenwise, gheeze la wheese.

That was the assumption by many when they took over the Albertsons in Dr Phillips and WP. Both had an existing Publix very close. Both became regular Publii and the existing stores stated also. Let’s hope @jgardnerucf ‘s little birdie is right. 

We’re definitely due for a GreenWise at this point. It should be a law that Tampa NEVER should get anything before we do.

45 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That was the assumption by many when they took over the Albertsons in Dr Phillips and WP. Both had an existing Publix very close. Both became regular Publii and the existing stores stated also. Let’s hope @jgardnerucf ‘s little birdie is right. 

We’re definitely due for a GreenWise at this point. It should be a law that Tampa NEVER should get anything before we do.

I believe that was the plan but the recession halted Greenwises for Publix for a while.  Winter Park opened as a Publix and stayed open until they tore down and replaced the building.  DP immediately closed and sat closed for years.  My understanding was it was a demand by Weingarden (the plaza property manager at the time) that Publix open the store when it came time to renew the lease.   They weren't just going to let Publix renew the lease and not open anything.  By then a bunch of businesses on that side of the plaza had gone under without an anchor.

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

I believe that was the plan but the recession halted Greenwises for Publix for a while.  Winter Park opened as a Publix and stayed open until they tore down and replaced the building.  DP immediately closed and sat closed for years.  My understanding was it was a demand by Weingarden (the plaza property manager at the time) that Publix open the store when it came time to renew the lease.   They weren't just going to let Publix renew the lease and not open anything.  By then a bunch of businesses on that side of the plaza had gone under without an anchor.

The WP Village Publix did get updated but the Hollieanna store just down the street is still open as well, also as a regular Publix.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Makes sense given the apartment name.

I don’t get it though.  They already named it after a tenant and that didn’t work out.  Why do this when the apartments could theoretically get sold to Camden or another brand that assigns a new name to their properties?  

I think my bigger question is if you are BluRock and just created a “place” where one didn’t exist - why not think about something with some permanency.  I wouldn’t advocate for him naming it “Joe-Ville” but still least I’d get the rationale.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe they're going to move their liquor store over there.

Publix liquor stores are generally tiny, even smaller than the average ABC and not at all like Total Wine.

1 minute ago, Jernigan said:

I don’t get it though.  They already named it after a tenant and that didn’t work out.  Why do this when the apartments could theoretically get sold to Camden or another brand that assigns a new name to their properties?  

I think my bigger question is if you are BluRock and just created a “place” where one didn’t exist - why not think about something with some permanency.  I wouldn’t advocate for him naming it “Joe-Ville” but still least I’d get the rationale.

If they sell it to Camden, it’ll be “Camden Thornton Park South”.

• Haha 3

The pricing at Publix Liquors is generally awful unless you happen to catch your beverage of choice on sale.

Maker’s Mark (both 750ml and the larger size) is $5-$6 more/bottle at Publix than at Total Wine and about $3 more than at ABC.

Publix, of course, is one of the big stumbling blocks to repealing the antiquated law prohibiting the sale of liquor in a grocery store even though beer and wine are sold.

Edited by spenser1058

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The pricing at Publix Liquors is generally awful unless you happen to catch your beverage of choice on sale.

Maker’s Mark (both 750ml and the larger size) is $5-$6 more/bottle at Publix than at Total Wine and about $3 more than at ABC.

Publix, of course, is one of the big stumbling blocks to repealing the antiquated law prohibiting the sale of liquor in a grocery store even though beer and wine are sold.

Yup. With ABC and Total Wine, the only reason I would go to a Publix Liquor store is "I'm already there and I don't want to go anywhere else because I want to go home." - even for the SoDo Publix Liquor, the ABC is across the street. 

• Like 2

I'm envisioning an entirely new concept for a Publix specialty store.

The Publix Party Store.

Liquor, beer, wine etc, with a complete selection of mixers of course.

Possibly even keg sales.

Hot food counter and deli specializing in party food like party subs, chicken wings and tenders, various horse's d'ouvers, pizza, sliders, pulled and smoked meats, etc, etc, etc. Possibly even a meat smoking service. You buy the meat there or in the regular Publix, bring it to them and they smoke it for you overnight then you pick it up the next day. 

Bakery including various types of cakes, custom decorated sheet cakes, pastries, ice cream cakes, etc.

And a complete line of party supplies. 

Par - TAY!!!!! :alc: 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Publix liquor stores are generally tiny, even smaller than the average ABC and not at all like Total Wine.

Hey good buddy, I think you're on to something! :tw_tounge_wink:

2079522811_Downtown(1).thumb.png.e0ac1b80e065773c2628c66301625f96.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm envisioning an entirely new concept for a Publix specialty store.

The Publix Party Store.

Liquor, beer, wine etc, with a complete selection of mixers of course.

Possibly even keg sales.

Hot food counter and deli specializing in party food like party subs, chicken wings and tenders, various horse's d'ouvers, pizza, sliders, pulled and smoked meats, etc, etc, etc. Possibly even a meat smoking service. You buy the meat there or in the regular Publix, bring it to them and they smoke it for you overnight then you pick it up the next day. 

Bakery including various types of cakes, custom decorated sheet cakes, pastries, ice cream cakes, etc.

And a complete line of party supplies. 

Par - TAY!!!!! :alc: 

Publix management in Lakeland doesn’t party - they’re too Baptist for that...

Interestingly, when Publix was doing Pix, their convenience stores, they tried a variety of combinations but, in the end, decided to ditch the whole idea and go back to grocery stores.

Over the years, the reluctance to get out of their comfort zone is a hallmark of their conservative nature. The fact GreenWise ever made it through is remarkable, but on the other hand that there are so few of them is the way Publix has been since control passed back from the Hollises to the Jenkins’.

Being a privately-held company has kept Publix from some of the disasters dictated by Wall Street and helped to preserve the culture Mr. George gave the company but it has also left them quite resistant to change.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Thornton Park Bluff...hahaha

59 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Hey good buddy, I think you're on to something! :tw_tounge_wink:

2079522811_Downtown(1).thumb.png.e0ac1b80e065773c2628c66301625f96.png

Hey the Milk District already did that and somehow now includes Southern Nights/Whipperpool/Market on South and sometimes claims the Lake Como neighborhood as part of it.  Hourglass seems to start a block north of Curry Ford and go south from there.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, codypet said:

Thornton Park Bluff...hahaha

Hey the Milk District already did that and somehow now includes Southern Nights/Whipperpool/Market on South and sometimes claims the Lake Como neighborhood as part of it.  Hourglass seems to start a block north of Curry Ford and go south from there.

To blow your mind, it includes the Colonial and Coytown plazas, too. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, smileguy said:

To blow your mind, it includes the Colonial and Coytown plazas, too. 

"The Milk District" will always include businesses on E. Colonial in my mind, because we used to always wind up at the Denny's after being kicked out of Southern Nights after last call!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jliv said:

"The Milk District" will always include businesses on E. Colonial in my mind, because we used to always wind up at the Denny's after being kicked out of Southern Nights after last call!

Our spot was the IHOP on Colonial/Summerlin after last call at P-house back in the dizay.