Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

• 1 month later...

There was a "PE" on one of the submitted plans that I think Bungalower snapped a photo of.   PandaExpress was speculation.   Since then another article listed the Verizon and Mattress One and the restaurant space not leased yet.  

The MattressOne was originally in the Axiom Plaza strip to the north so they just moved over.  Convenient for BluRock!

• Like 1

I just realized I drew 2 red X's in a post that mentioned 2 demos lol.

in case it's not clear - the demos happened where the Shoppes at Orange and the Southside Shoppes are being built.  One was formerly Lido's restaurant and a nail salon and the other was Accel Motorsports.   The red X's were the proposed tenants for a plaza that is on hold

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

As someone actively looking to buy in the area, I'm glad to see that infill progress heading north.  Wish it was something useful for me... but better than nothing!

It will get even better when Orange is redone from Michigan to the north.   Narrower travel lanes and more consistent on street parking.  It won't be Edgewater but it will be an improvement 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 9:47 PM, Jernigan said:

It will get even better when Orange is redone from Michigan to the north.   Narrower travel lanes and more consistent on street parking.  It won't be Edgewater but it will be an improvement 

Is that still happening?  I swear it was announced almost two years ago and haven't heard anything since.

In regards to South Orange, I've been hoping for a widening - keep its 5 lane configuration (narrow all lanes to 10ft), remove the parking/shoulder lanes and replace them with dedicated BRT lanes for Lymmo and Lynx buses in general, add some bike lanes, widen sidewalks, and add some pedestrian crossings islands in the middle turn lane. I calculate the ROW would have to be about 100 feet wide to do this, it's less in some areas but I think something can be worked out. I want to see the same treatment with Colonial Drive. One can dream though.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure what Jernigan was talking about in regards to S Orange Medical Expansion, but here it is on the schedule for tomorrow's MPB.  Filing in a parking lot with a 3 story building and shifting parking behind. - http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/07/MPBStaffReport2016-07_GMP2016-00009.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

It's only the tiny piece in the middle of the 2 existing buildings?

The article makes it sound like the left building + new building = restaurant, hotel lobby, and 54 rooms. The office building on the right might be renovated into rooms as a second phase. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Is that a hotel for ants?

It needs to be at least three times bigger!

16 hours ago, alex said:

The article makes it sound like the left building + new building = restaurant, hotel lobby, and 54 rooms. The office building on the right might be renovated into rooms as a second phase. 

Ah that makes sense, was curious how it would work as that site is built out already.

I always assumed that it was the six story office building that was going to be the hotel to begin with. It certainly looks more like a hotel than the other one.

But regarding the size of the smaller building, it's actually a bit bigger than it looks from Orange Ave. Goes pretty far back. Nice parking garage, too.

Screenshot_20160915_095406.jpg

I'm glad they're going to do something different with the site, but it's pretty underwhelming considering the initial plan with the bridge over Orange into the hospital.  Doc's never made sense - maybe a restaurant/bar will work there if it's attached to a hotel, but I'm skeptical. ORMC's expansion out to the sidewalk gives this area a much more urban feel, but it's surrounded to the north and south with pedestrian-hostile environments (small sidewalks, no shade, 4+ lane road, etc).  The supposed draw is from folks working at or visiting the hospital, but the "doors" of the hospital, so to speak, mostly face the other direction.  If the food is great, they could draw people willing to drive from Delany park, downtown, etc.  The food at Doc's wasn't great.

18 hours ago, Universe_Explorer said:

I'm glad they're going to do something different with the site, but it's pretty underwhelming considering the initial plan with the bridge over Orange into the hospital.  Doc's never made sense - maybe a restaurant/bar will work there if it's attached to a hotel, but I'm skeptical. ORMC's expansion out to the sidewalk gives this area a much more urban feel, but it's surrounded to the north and south with pedestrian-hostile environments (small sidewalks, no shade, 4+ lane road, etc).  The supposed draw is from folks working at or visiting the hospital, but the "doors" of the hospital, so to speak, mostly face the other direction.  If the food is great, they could draw people willing to drive from Delany park, downtown, etc.  The food at Doc's wasn't great.

As someone looking to purchase in the area, the lack of food/bar in this spot is what is pushing me farther south to Wadeview.  The only thing between 408 and Kaley is Brick and Fire.