Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

14 hours ago, Gtothree2748 said:

Although not urban, Southern oaks is still in the Sodo “area” - so that’s basically downtown living for Orlando’s standards.

Regardless, it’s still refreshing to see people support their nearest Main Street district. The real problem is when people move into an area and ignore their neighbors/community, just to commute to Disney springs or the mall to spend their money.

As members of the SoDo community, we should welcome our neighbors who are realistically, biking distance to a lot of SoDos most popular establishments. The “screw off” mentality seems counter productive when trying to build a marketable Main Street community. The more support the better, even if the support is coming from a traditionally un urban area. 

I don't necessarily disagree and I'll be honest that my biases against whomever runs social media and marketing for SoDo is playing a part.  The past few months they've been advertising some random alterations business selling masks that's practically in Edgewood.  I wouldn't mind that much but there's LITERALLY alterations businesses selling masks that are WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE OFFICIAL MAIN STREET DISTRICT.

I'm a huge proponent of living in the city itself.  Yes there's a slightly higher tax rate, but it is worth it.  I have friends that live in unincorporated Orange in hourglass and pineloch and such.  Some of whom brag that they get basically downtown living but cheaper taxes.  I like to remind them that they poop in their yard, and one day I want to  troll them by hiring someone to follow them around the farmer's market at Eola saying I DONT PAY TO COME HERE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I don't necessarily disagree and I'll be honest that my biases against whomever runs social media and marketing for SoDo is playing a part.  The past few months they've been advertising some random alterations business selling masks that's practically in Edgewood.  I wouldn't mind that much but there's LITERALLY alterations businesses selling masks that are WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE OFFICIAL MAIN STREET DISTRICT.

I'm a huge proponent of living in the city itself.  Yes there's a slightly higher tax rate, but it is worth it.  I have friends that live in unincorporated Orange in hourglass and pineloch and such.  Some of whom brag that they get basically downtown living but cheaper taxes.  I like to remind them that they poop in their yard, and one day I want to  troll them by hiring someone to follow them around the farmer's market at Eola saying I DONT PAY TO COME HERE.

I'm assuming that you are referring to septic tanks, one of which I, as an Hourglass resident, am thankful to also have.

If you live in the city,  you are probably on the city sewer system.

Take a look at your utility bill and see what you pay per month just in sewer charges.

Add up what you pay per year, then add that to the higher taxes you also pay.

I've never paid a dime  to flush my toilet outside of the cost of the water itself and that to me, is well worth having to pay whatever it costs non-city residents to shop at the Eola Farmer's Market.

Which I've never been to anyway. :lol: 

(BTW, as of yet, I have never pooped in my yard, but I'm not making any predictions, either. ;))

@JFW657 is, of course,  neglecting the externalities of septic tanks. While it may be cheaper for him, the untold damage of leakage into Florida’s environment may take billions of dollars to remediate if we ever have a government in Tallahassee again that chooses to acknowledge we even have an environment.

On a personal note, the damage by septic tanks to one of my favorite places, Rock Springs, as houses were built around Kelly Park has been one of the great tragedies of my lifetime.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

It's obviously in jest.  I've just always lived in the city, so the concept of septic tanks are gross and foreign and dumb and uncivilized to me.  I'm well aware of their benefits, but its easy to make a running joke out of.

uncivilized-monocle-man.jpg

I guess if I was getting screwed for all that money per year just to flush my toilet and drain my dish water, I'd look for some way to rationalize it too. ;)

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

@JFW657 is, of course,  neglecting the externalities of septic tanks. While it may be cheaper for him, the untold damage of leakage into Florida’s environment may take billions of dollars to remediate if we ever have a government in Tallahassee again that chooses to acknowledge we even have an environment.

On a personal note, the damage by septic tanks to one of my favorite places, Rock Springs, as houses were built around Kelly Park has been one of the great tragedies of my lifetime.

No, I'm not neglecting anything.

Studies show that septic tanks only damage the environment when hey are placed in close proximity to underground springs, like Rock Springs and intracoastal waterways like the Indian River Lagoon, etc.

Septic tanks located inland, in places like Orlando and other land locked communities, do little to no damage because the ground filters all the impurities out of the water that seeps through well before it ever reaches the aquifer. 

Flushing for free is the only way to be!!!!! :thumbsup: :D 

That may be true in some areas but not with Florida’s permeable aquifer. You’re also forgetting all the lakes hereabouts which are similarly affected (more than a few of which are, umm, spring-fed).

No unbiased (yes, there are plenty of developers supporting bogus studies) environmental group in Florida supports septic tanks over sewers.

Septic tanks are a problem in Florida, not a solution.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

That may be true in some areas but not with Florida’s permeable aquifer. You’re also forgetting all the lakes hereabouts which are similarly affected (more than a few of which are, umm, spring-fed).

No unbiased (yes, there are plenty of developers supporting bogus studies) environmental group in Florida supports septic tanks over sewers.

Septic tanks are a problem in Florida, not a solution.

What you are neglecting to take into account, is the massive, expensive undertaking it would be to dig a statewide underground sewer system and the environmental damage such a project itself would cause. 

Keep in mind also, it wouldn't just be current septic system users who would foot the bill for upgrading to a universal sewer system.

Your bill would go up significantly as well.

It takes 100 years for any water that soaks into the ground at surface level, to reach the lower part of the aquifer.  After 100 years of slowly seeping through sand and limestone, there are few, if any contaminants left.

The main nutrient damage is to surface water, which is why people who own lakefront and other waterfront property are the ones who need be required to have their septic systems upgraded to incorporate the latest technology so that any potential waste intrusion is mitigated.

The EPA (a non-biased, non-bogus entity as far as I know) says it can be done....

https://www.epa.gov/septic/septic-system-improvements-protect-nearby-water-sources

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I guess if I was getting screwed for all that money per year just to flush my toilet and drain my dish water, I'd look for some way to rationalize it too. ;)

I pay roughly $25 a month for sewer and think that's a completely fair price to say too-da-loo to all of my poo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I pay roughly $25 a month for sewer and think that's a completely fair price to say too-da-loo to all of my poo.

I need that 2nd meter so my sprinklers don't get charged the sewer fee.

Come on Orlando, bring a reclaimed line up Bumby!

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, codypet said:

Yeah, it cost more than I would have like to get added, but I think it's already paid for itself in the past 6 months.

8 hours ago, codypet said:

My understanding is even if a reclaimed line is added in front of your property, they won't add it to any existing systems unless it was designed and engineered from the get-go for it. All of the irrigation heads are supposed to be labeled for reclaimed, all of the pipe is supposed to be purple, and there is completely different backflow prevention requirements, so basically everything would need to be installed from scratch. I know for about a decade now, they've generally (not sure if its all of them or just some) been requiring new developments to install separate reclaimed meters and meet the requirements for all irrigation even if their is no service yet to make it feasible to connect it in the future, but my understanding is if you don't have that, you won't be able to get it as an existing property without redevelopment.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:19 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah, it cost more than I would have like to get added, but I think it's already paid for itself in the past 6 months.

Yea the existing house doesn't meet the backflow requirements.  Both the house and the irrigation would need backflow preventers which would increase the cost significantly.  Most people in my neighborhood who have irrigation have been installing wells just for the irrigation to save on price.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah, went down Delaney which changes to Osceola and then into Southern Oaks to Gatlin to Fern Creek and back.  Agreed about BelAir.  But that's like 2 streets.  

It was largely the biggest problem trying to find a house.  Realtors base things on zip codes by and large, and while Delaney/Lake Davis is more desirable/closer to downtown/part of 32806, it isn't walkable.  I'd argue its still urban though.  There's just something about... I dunno.  I can't put my finger on it what feels different besides the Cul-de Sacs, but there's something.

Its walkable in general, you just need to know which routes to take. The main roads always have sidewalks, its the smaller interior roads that are hit or miss like Eola and Osceola (north of Kaley). Plus there still are plenty of real trees for shade. 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, codypet said:

Why do you need a reclaimed line to order the 2nd water meter? 

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Yea the existing house doesn't meet the backflow requirements.  Both the house and the irrigation would need backflow preventers which would increase the cost significantly.  Most people in my neighborhood who have irrigation have been installing wells just for the irrigation to save on price.

The back flow preventer I bought was $125 or so (8 years ago). 

3 hours ago, jack said:

Why do you need a reclaimed line to order the 2nd water meter? 

The back flow preventer I bought was $125 or so (8 years ago). 

My logic was if they put a reclaimed line up the road they're likely offer people to connect at a discounted rate.

Yea $125 x 2 plus the $500 they're charging to connect bring in the other meter means without labor I'm looking at $750.   I don't know how loose they are on the requirements that you need to be a licensed plumber to do this, but it says so in the fine print.  When I first moved in, there was a hairline crack at the meter, that OUC let me fix myself, so maybe they'd let me do that, but if not that's another couple hundred onto the $750.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:10 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Ooooo can we talk about the scam that is most main streets? I know a few of the directors are great, including one who posts here, but boy are some of them just total trash and should be gone so fast but they know the right people.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Ooooo can we talk about the scam that is most main streets? I know a few of the directors are great, including one who posts here, but boy are some of them just total trash and should be gone so fast but they know the right people.

I don't understand the main street districts...at all. I don't understand what they do or what impact they have. I've love to know what they've accomplished that wouldn't have happened without them. Should the North Quarter have a main street? Should CV? Should the airport not have one?

3 hours ago, codypet said:

My logic was if they put a reclaimed line up the road they're likely offer people to connect at a discounted rate.

Yea $125 x 2 plus the $500 they're charging to connect bring in the other meter means without labor I'm looking at $750.   I don't know how loose they are on the requirements that you need to be a licensed plumber to do this, but it says so in the fine print.  When I first moved in, there was a hairline crack at the meter, that OUC let me fix myself, so maybe they'd let me do that, but if not that's another couple hundred onto the $750.

Again the problem is your existing irrigation piping is not purple or labeled for reclaimed use. I'm sure if you rip out the current irrigation system and install a new one you're looking at way more money, and thats whats required to convert an existing irrigation system to reclaimed water unless it was originally designed for it.

18 hours ago, codypet said:

OUC used to install their own meters and allowed homeowners to install the back flow preventers. You only need one back flow. regardless, depending how often you run your sprinklers, you could break even in ayear or two. Also, connect your hoses to the irrigation meter.  

On 7/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, JFW657 said:

Nobody said there was anything wrong with making money.

But making money is no justification when they fail to keep in mind that they have some responsibility to the community to build developments that are not generic crap surrounded by asphalt parking deserts which necessitate the mowing down of decades old trees and totally destroy the feel of the old neighborhoods they encroach on.

And honestly, I don't think I've ever met people who "like" bland, generic commercial developments. 

My guess is that most people don't even think about them one way or the other because of the unremarkable way they look and how they blend in with all the rest of the boring crap that gets slapped up nowadays. The only people who think about them at all are probably be the people who have to work or do business in them. 

You'd be surprised what I have heard over the years. Overall, many people care less about the architecture and more about the building placement. When they describe what they want, buildings set back from the road, large parking lots directly in front of the building, etc. Basically, direct contradictions of basic planning principles. 

Generally, they tend to be rural and suburban residents but I would not be surprised some of our citizens would agree. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

You'd be surprised what I have heard over the years. Overall, many people care less about the architecture and more about the building placement. When they describe what they want, buildings set back from the road, large parking lots directly in front of the building, etc. Basically, direct contradictions of basic planning principles. 

Generally, they tend to be rural and suburban residents but I would not be surprised some of our citizens would agree. 

That all may well be true. I certainly don't claim to know.

I just hope the city tree ordinance is strong enough and enforced stringently enough to require that they save and build around all the larger old oaks back there if this thing ever happens.

Which I hope it doesn't.

• Like 1