Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

10 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Starbucks to Foxtail conversion 

I originally heard Oct 1 as open, but given the current environment I'm not sure they are pressing to get it done.

Meanwhile, the old Mama B's location has come to another standstill. They tore it apart, built some new walls and I haven't seen activity there in about 3 weeks.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah, went down Delaney which changes to Osceola and then into Southern Oaks to Gatlin to Fern Creek and back.  Agreed about BelAir.  But that's like 2 streets.  

It was largely the biggest problem trying to find a house.  Realtors base things on zip codes by and large, and while Delaney/Lake Davis is more desirable/closer to downtown/part of 32806, it isn't walkable.  I'd argue its still urban though.  There's just something about... I dunno.  I can't put my finger on it what feels different besides the Cul-de Sacs, but there's something.

Sorry just catching up and thought I'd opine having been househunting lately.

Southern Oaks:  Lovely and established.  The Pershing K-8 is within walking Distance to the Pershing Ave entrance.  Tons of kids/families walking and biking with slow streets and ample sidewalks.  You can navigate to Publix/Lucky's without any gaps but it's a hike and would be exercise and not leisure like you enjoy in Wadeview/Delaney or other downtown neighborhoods.

The very frustrating part is the walls and subsequent gaps in connectivity.   For an area that is already limited due to the lakes, they cut off every other section.  It's insane - all the homes are nice and there's no reason to disconnect everyone for perceived status.   

Gaps1.png

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Sorry just catching up and thought I'd opine having been househunting lately.

Southern Oaks:  Lovely and established.  The Pershing K-8 is within walking Distance to the Pershing Ave entrance.  Tons of kids/families walking and biking with slow streets and ample sidewalks.  You can navigate to Publix/Lucky's without any gaps but it's a hike and would be exercise and not leisure like you enjoy in Wadeview/Delaney or other downtown neighborhoods.

The very frustrating part is the walls and subsequent gaps in connectivity.   For an area that is already limited due to the lakes, they cut off every other section.  It's insane - all the homes are nice and there's no reason to disconnect everyone for perceived status.   

4 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Oh agreed, and not just Southern Oaks, but that entire screenshot.  That's why I don't go on runs/walks that direction because there's LITERALLY only 2 ways in/out Osceola/Summerlin, Gatlin/Pershing

Maybe the real reason they designed the streets that way to keep drivers from using it as a cut through and to discourage non-neighborhood residents from walking/jogging/bike riding through there. 

I bet the residents like it.

I live literally less than two blocks from the intersection, hard to call me a non-resident of the greater neighborhood.  It entirely breaks the urban fabric and basically makes my house a southern boundary.  If you want that isolated lifestyle, move 10 miles away.  Plenty of sprawl to accomplish that.

But even beyond that, I feel like if I were a resident within that square (and again, it isn't just southern oaks, its that entire square.), it would be very frustrating every day because there is no walk-ability, so that means you are commuting via car every day, and that means rush hour backups at those those 4 choke points.

• Like 2

In my early weeks of living in Orlando I tried to go from Goldenrod/Valencia College Lane to Orange/Gatlin to the record shop via the backstreets.  It was before GPS and I was alone (so I couldn't keep my eyes on a map), but I have a very good sense of direction.

Long story short, it took me over 2 hours to get to the record shop.

9 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I live literally less than two blocks from the intersection, hard to call me a non-resident of the greater neighborhood.  It entirely breaks the urban fabric and basically makes my house a southern boundary.  If you want that isolated lifestyle, move 10 miles away.  Plenty of sprawl to accomplish that.

But even beyond that, I feel like if I were a resident within that square (and again, it isn't just southern oaks, its that entire square.), it would be very frustrating every day because there is no walk-ability, so that means you are commuting via car every day, and that means rush hour backups at those those 4 choke points.

Didn't mean to sound like I was calling anyone anything, I was just trying to suggest the possible reasoning and thought process behind the streets being laid out the way they are.  I'm guessing maybe the idea was to make each street feel like a very private enclave unto itself, where even those who live only two blocks up the road would not feel enticed or have a reason to come in and walk around. 

The thinking was very different back in those days. My guess is that back in the 50's or 60's or whenever the neighborhood was built, terms like "urban fabric" either didn't exist or were mainly found in sociology textbooks. The concept of "walkability" was probably not much of a consideration either, being that back then, the country was still in the early and somewhat more enthusiastic days of the automobile age. 

I could be wrong, of course. 

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Didn't mean to sound like I was calling anyone anything, I was just trying to suggest the possible reasoning and thought process behind the streets being laid out the way they are.  I'm guessing maybe the idea was to make each street feel like a very private enclave unto itself, where even those who live only two blocks up the road would not feel enticed or have a reason to come in and walk around. 

The thinking was very different back in those days. My guess is that back in the 50's or 60's or whenever the neighborhood was built, terms like "urban fabric" either didn't exist or were mainly found in sociology textbooks. The concept of "walkability" was probably not much of a consideration either, being that back then, the country was still in the early and somewhat more enthusiastic days of the automobile age. 

I could be wrong, of course. 

I think you are exactly right and I am sure the residents like it that way. 

• Thanks 1

Was gonna say this this morning. The State abandoned making gatlin holden 1 intersection and slivering off respective parcels, but decided against I guess and compromised to eliminate the continuous green at coq a vin.

Study pdf 2018:

www.edgewood-fl.gov/Metroplan%20Orange%20Ave%20- %20EdgewoodPresentation_June2018.pdf

Flashback link 2001:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2001-06-10-0106080477-story.html

Another fun flashback link 1990: (wait for Bill Donegan's quote)

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1990-09-27-9009270335-story.html

Edited by jgardnerucf
Stuff

11 hours ago, Gtothree2748 said:

Is the porch a confirmed vendor in Gatlin food hall? Is it still even happening? 

https://d945b00b-a6ee-41b4-9bfe-2b2bf3b6b156.filesusr.com/ugd/623146_36c93bd953ab4478a49547e02006a1d0.pdf

0E9010E1-82A8-428B-9439-909AC5F9EF95.jpeg

Aren't the owners of the porch the group that holds the master lease? Like the the butcher shop in Winter Park. 

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, codypet said:

Talking to the hair stylist at SportClips she said they were told that Publix won't be starting work on the Lucky's location until 2021.  She said that might be too late if things keep up like this at that location.

I'd just as soon see something else go in there anyway. 

Given the size of the space, they could divide it up, put in an Aldi and two smaller locally owned businesses.