Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I noticed a sign in the window at a Sodo storefront... Kolombia Cafe. Two doors from Jason's, next to the juice bar. I see it is listed on the Kimco store list, but no info on it. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Sounds German 

On one of the questions instead of “beautification” as an option it had “beatification”. Not sure if it’s just a typo or if they plan to have Jesus make regular visits...

Of course, I picked the options with the most green stuff. Lots of TREES!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

So I'm driving east on Michigan earlier this evening and as I approach the light at Ferncreek, I look over to my right and I see (and hear) up against the wall of this place called The Swirlery Wine Bar, a huge TV screen facing the parking lot playing what looked like an old movie.

But nobody was out there watching it.

Looked on their Facebook page and saw that they have a movie night.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was playing.

Maybe that was why nobody was watching.

Either that or it was because it was after 7 pm an they close at 6.

Weird.

23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So I'm driving east on Michigan earlier this evening and as I approach the light at Ferncreek, I look over to my right and I see (and hear) up against the wall of this place called The Swirlery Wine Bar, a huge TV screen facing the parking lot playing what looked like an old movie.

But nobody was out there watching it.

Looked on their Facebook page and saw that they have a movie night.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was playing.

Maybe that was why nobody was watching.

Either that or it was because it was after 7 pm an they close at 6.

Weird.

I know the owner of the place and she has somewhat changed her business to package only and a lot of virtual wine events during covid, hence the 6pm closing hour. However, their regulars know they are there later and are now doing lite bites so are technically food service, so they are doing minimal bar service. I know the owners partners bday party was the night before movie night and they were turning people away at the door. Typical food/ drink business- feast or famine.

• Thanks 1

The orthopedic hospital joint venture that OH and Jewitt announced about 6 months ago is scheduled to break ground in November and is set to be completed in 2023. It "will feature 10 inpatient and 12 outpatient operating rooms, an outpatient rehab gym, imaging, an auditorium for conferences and education, 66 outpatient exam rooms and up to 75 beds." Located at the SE corner of Lucerne Ter and Columbia.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-health-orlando-health-jewett-or-design-20200903-ardrxswyfhagjdxpnotpsadbmy-story.html

Also mentioned in the article, OH acquired Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, a 480-bed hospital back in June... I had not heard that previously.

• Like 1

Also mentioned in the article, OH acquired Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, a 480-bed hospital back in June... I had not heard that previously.

I wonder if they plan to rebrand the hospital to Orlando Health ... ? The article didn’t mention it but I think there are other Bayfront facilities in the Tampa Bay Area so surely they can’t continue to use “Bayfront”.

43 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

I wonder if they plan to rebrand the hospital to Orlando Health ... ? The article didn’t mention it but I think there are other Bayfront facilities in the Tampa Bay Area so surely they can’t continue to use “Bayfront”.

Maybe that is why they are branding as OH instead of Orlando Health. Not just for this purchase, but the other ones they have bought or will buy outside Orlando.

• 2 weeks later...

Publix hasn’t really done anything innovative since Mr. George faded from the scene. The few times they have they almost immediately backed off (see delivery, their foray into convenience stores, Crispers and the plodding movement of GreenWise*).

It’s not unlike what happened to Disney for two decades after Walt died.

It’s notable that the CEOs of both companies after their  innovative founders passed were men who hadn’t worked outside their respective companies.

The Mouse eventually had to change because of Walt Street. Publix is privately owned so it really doesn’t have to.

Btw, you know how Publix got in the liquor business? It wasn’t the product of grand planning - their Baptist souls precluded such a thought. It came about when the acquisition of some Albertsons stores included liquor licenses.

*Then there’s the one they never even tried - a company with the brand penetration of Publix could have owned the superstore concept in Florida (not unlike Fred Meyer in the Pacific Northwest) before Walmart or Target ever made a foothold here.

Edited by spenser1058