Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

13 minutes ago, codypet said:

Oh man, don't tell me Publix is gonna demo the building to put a more "Publix like" building there.

Wouldn’t be the first time. When they took over the Pantry Pride at Herndon Plaza (and it was only a dozen or so years old), they gutted the store right in the middle of the strip center and started from scratch. At the time, I was astounded.

Publix's MO has been buy out, and tear down to their liking (They did that to the Sandlando Store and a number of their older stores Atlamonte/Both Winter Park stores/Conway etc), but if they did with Lucky's, it would have to be some sort of record of shortest time for a store.  Was that Lucky's even open a year?   I know Herndon lasted only 9 months before it closed.  If they demo Lucky's it would reinforce my thought that a Standard Publix is going there and not a Greenwise which most people in my neighborhood are convinced is going there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

Publix's MO has been buy out, and tear down to their liking (They did that to the Sandlando Store and a number of their older stores Atlamonte/Both Winter Park stores/Conway etc), but if they did with Lucky's, it would have to be some sort of record of shortest time for a store.  Was that Lucky's even open a year?   I know Herndon lasted only 9 months before it closed.  If they demo Lucky's it would reinforce my thought that a Standard Publix is going there and not a Greenwise which most people in my neighborhood are convinced is going there.

Given what recently happened in B’ham (and in one of the toniest neighborhoods in the South), and what has been a recurring theme with Publix for years (they try out a concept but never commit to it and eventually abandon it for what they know), I’ll be surprised if GreenWise ever hits launch velocity.

They’ll have GreenWise products in the traditional stores and maybe a dedicated department or two but pass on separate stores.

They won’t be alone either - that’s pretty much the approach the biggest grocers are taking and the fact that none of the organic stores from Whole Foods on down have been able to go big is telling.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

They did that to the Sandlando Store

The Montgomery and 434 store needed the revised layout that a compete overhaul brought. I’d imagine this will be a facade change with the other three walls and roof staying unchanged, although that is pure speculation.

• 3 weeks later...

MPL permit pulled for Mixed Use apartments at 3509 S Orange Ave - a lot in front of the Mark at SODO apartments.

This would fill a nice gap between Blurocks Ecco Plaza and their Southern Oaks PD at Drennan.   All of this development is happening on the east side of Orange.

8EFD2E34-EC3C-4E05-92AD-22BCE822980E.png

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

MPL permit pulled for Mixed Use apartments at 3509 S Orange Ave - a lot in front of the Mark at SODO apartments.

Speaking of SoDo, the City is close to enacting a new zoning overlay for the district. "The ordinance implements the SoDo Neighborhood Improvement District Vision Plan to create a technical design review committee to administratively approve projects in the area to expedite development," city spokeswoman Samantha Holden told Orlando Business Journal. The review committee would replace the MPB. 

The new overlay allows for residential use "by right" and allows some alternative uses for restaurant and office.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/11/10/orlando-to-consider-allowing-more-residential.html

It is often said in this forum that the City doesn't listen to the citizens and developers can do whatever they want. Several month back a developer proposed a large ALF on S. Orange (on Lake Copeland). It appears the neighbors showed up in droves and pointed out all the problems with the project. They told the City they were not opposed to developing the vacant, lakefront lot and even the proposed size- though not preferred- was not the major sticking point. I guess the City made the developers rework the project to address the neighbors concerns. The revised plan did cause the bed count to decrease quite a bit and the footprint is not as long, but it seems to meet the needs of all parties. It goes before the board this month. I've heard there is no major opposition from the neighbors.

I suppose the City deserves kudos for putting the interest of the impacted residents ahead of the developer.

LAKE COPELAND ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY (ALF)

CUP2019-10028** Conditional Use Permit for a 103-unit, 115-bed assisted living facility (ALF) within 50 ft. of residential property and 100 ft. from another ALF.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, Jernigan said:

This would fill a nice gap between Blurocks Ecco Plaza and their Southern Oaks PD at Drennan.   All of this development is happening on the east side of Orange.

8EFD2E34-EC3C-4E05-92AD-22BCE822980E.png

I didn't realize that far south had been annexed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

This snuck in north of Kaley

9D288DA9-85E6-4713-B6FF-D3F2A7F87F63.jpeg

Hey @AndyPok1 I'll meet you at the self "serve beer wall"

"Did you know that Crave features a self-serve beer wall? Customers can choose from the many beer options, as well as wine and cider. Each location features local Craft and domestic options. As much or little as you choose, it’s up to YOU! At Crave, it’s all about customer satisfaction and experience. We know what you want, and we have it!"

https://iwantcrave.com/

https://www.restaurantnews.com/air-force-veteran-brings-crave-hot-dogs-and-bbq-to-orlando-100119/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SoDo Mayor @Jernigan has apparently been exhorting the faithful because there seem to be more Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus/Kwanzaa * lights this year in SoDo and Lake Davis/Cherokee than the past several seasons.

Delaney St. Baptist, with its new pastor, seems to have gotten especially festive this year and with a tree that’s downright funky by Baptist standards.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

*When’s Ramadan this year? Do we do lights for that? I’ve got to catch up on my Muslim holidays.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

They have been working on the Earth Fare since last week. The windows have been covered, but I got a look inside a few days back and the trades were busy working on electrical and hvac. It doesn't look like they have posted any job opening yet, so I think they are still several months away.

The exterior of Foxtail in the Mama B's location looks to be completely done except signage. Inside the floors are prepped for covering so I'd say they are maybe 2 months away. I was told by one of their managers they can staff up in very short order.

• Like 1

Is it just me or do they seem super not uhhh deep?  The floor plans show a "bedroom" (more like an office maybe) on the first floor that you walk into off of Pineloch before the steps to the main living area/garage, but when I walk by these a few times a week they feel much smaller than similar units I've been in.

• Thanks 1