Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

Is it just me or do they seem super not uhhh deep?  The floor plans show a "bedroom" (more like an office maybe) on the first floor that you walk into off of Pineloch before the steps to the main living area/garage, but when I walk by these a few times a week they feel much smaller than similar units I've been in.

I’ve seen a similar floor plan in Orlando town-/row houses before (Baldwin Park maybe ... ?) but I can see what you mean. I assume that garage isn’t much deeper than allowing space for a car and not much else. Probably the result of putting the laundry on the second or third level.

As someone who’s been working out of their kitchen in an open floor plan house for the past 9+ months, that first level office space is looking extremely attractive right about now!
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I walk to Freshfield like the urban guy I am!

I used to bike there and 24 hr fitness from Colonialtown.  I actually find it odd I don't do that anymore considering I'm considerably further south now and don't have to contend with Summerlin anymore.

Seems like its a straight shot on Gore to Briarcliff to Delaney now.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Publix has filed for permits for build out of the old Luck's space. The project name is Publix #1754. 

Per OBJ, "none of the permits connected to the project mention the store as a GreenWise Market"

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/11/20/confirmed-publix-to-build-out-new-store-in-sodo.html

I was over there a few weeks ago. 

There was a crew inside with a couple of high lifts doing some work on the lighting fixtures.

I was really hoping for a Greenwise Publix. I'm tired of being relegated to a few dedicated shelves with limited organic options in regular grocery stores. Sure, I could drive over to Whole Foods, Chamberlin's, etc. but is it too much to ask to have a health food store in the vicinity of my own neighborhood? Earth Fare was nice & convenient, but incredibly expensive if used as your sole source of grocery shopping.

I think most people still view organic/all-natural food as somewhat of a novelty (rather than a necessity), but I think the Publix branding helps "normalize" organic/natural food crossover into mainstream shopping.

Edited by nite owℓ

6 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I was really hoping for a Greenwise Publix. I'm tired of being relegated to a few dedicated shelves with limited organic options in regular grocery stores. Sure, I could drive over to Whole Foods, Chamberlin's, etc. but is it too much to ask to have a health food store in the vicinity of my own neighborhood? Earth Fare was nice & convenient, but incredibly expensive if used as your sole source of grocery shopping.

I think most people still view organic/all-natural food as somewhat of a novelty (rather than a necessity), but I think the Publix branding helps "normalize" organic/natural food crossover into mainstream shopping.

You’ll have Sprouts soon at Colonial Plaza. Iirc, @prahaboheme is a fan but I haven’t been to one yet. God knows their politics can’t be worse than Publix’ (I’ll spare you their latest outrage but it’s clear they learned nothing from 2018).

Sadly, if I do move to Jax, there’s not a Target close to the part of town I’d probably live in *sigh* (it is YUGE, tho, and lots of cute Navy sorts running around...I do miss that in Orlando from the NTC days).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

You’ll have Sprouts soon at Colonial Plaza. Iirc, @prahaboheme is a fan but I haven’t been to one yet. God knows their politics can’t be worse than Publix’ (I’ll spare you their latest outrage but it’s clear they learned nothing from 2018).

Sadly, if I do move to Jax, there’s not a Target close to the part of town I’d probably live in *sigh* (it is YUGE, tho, and lots of cute Navy sorts running around...I do miss that in Orlando from the NTC days).

I like Sprouts, a lot of good options for people on certain diets like Paleo, Keto, etc. They even call the products out with shelf tags. It is quite pricey though, granted, you can find some good deals if you look. It's a larger, slightly better (IMO) Fresh Market. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

After visiting a Sprouts in Atlanta visiting my sister, I was a fan.  I can split my groceries between Aldi and Sprouts instead of W/D now.  Although my neighbors will crucify me for not going to Clemons.  I just can't get into that place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

After visiting a Sprouts in Atlanta visiting my sister, I was a fan.  I can split my groceries between Aldi and Sprouts instead of W/D now.  Although my neighbors will crucify me for not going to Clemons.  I just can't get into that place.

I’m really loving that Target keeps adding items for Drive Up. Before you know it, I may never have to go in the store again!

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm pretty sure I've been to a Sprouts in Miami years ago, but I think they were bought out by another company or something. I don't remember much about it, so I guess if you've seen one health food store you've pretty much seen them all.

What did Publix do this time?? lol Spill the deets in your Publix thread...

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

I like Sprouts, a lot of good options for people on certain diets like Paleo, Keto, etc. They even call the products out with shelf tags. It is quite pricey though, granted, you can find some good deals if you look. It's a larger, slightly better (IMO) Fresh Market. 

Agreed.  I went to one in Sarasota visiting my mom and was impressed.  Pricey, yes, but a pleasant atmosphere, helpful employees, and nice selection. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

How do we know it's not going to be one? 

Just because it doesn't say "Greenwise Market" on the permits, does that mean it isn't going to be one?

I cannot imagine that they would build another regular Publix right next door to an existing one.

Unless they're going to close the old one, which seems unlikely.

24 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just because it doesn't say "Greenwise Market" on the permits, does that mean it isn't going to be one?

I cannot imagine that they would build another regular Publix right next door to an existing one.

I agree. The permits do not say Greenwise, but I'm betting it will not be a standard Publix.

I've done my share of applying for and pulling permits all over the greater Orlando area and beyond.

Granted, it was a long time ago.... early - mid 90's, but I doubt it has changed all that much other than maybe a lot being done online now.

But I can imagine someone not getting all that specific putting the business name on a permit.

Just putting the main company name on it and leaving out the specific category of store because.... why does it matter to them?

All they care about is that the company which owns of the business is named correctly.

Maybe it's different on a sign permit, but the store is basically a Publix. 

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Well, OBJ made a point to note the permits do not mention a Greenwise Publix (since they know people have speculated about what kind of Publix it will be).

It's Publix's MO to have two (non-Greenwise) stores next to each other (or at least less than 5 minutes away from one another) lol. It happens when they buy out other grocery stores: Albertsons, Safeway, etc. A while back someone posted an article about Walmart closing certain locations because they were "self-cannibalizing" their own competition due to close proximity, but Publix does the opposite. Kinda bizarre, but that's Publix for ya.

Almost too many to count, but these are a few local examples off the top of my head:

Altamonte - two stores across the street from each other (Palm Springs Crossing & Palm Springs Center)

Dr Phillips area - two stores across the street from each other (Plaza Venezia & Marketplace at Dr. Phillips)

Longwood/Altamonte - two stores minutes away from each other around the bend (Jamestown & Springs Plaza)

Winter Park - two stores down the street from each other (WP Village & Hollieanna)

You'll see a few examples in South FL (Miami Beach), along the coasts (St Pete & Oakland Park) etc. Just look at their location map.:dontknow:1580656362_Publix(2).thumb.jpg.c64b07864d62d70bec33910c4b2ff80f.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Well, OBJ made a point to note the permits do not mention a Greenwise Publix (since they know people have speculated about what kind of Publix it will be).

It's Publix's MO to have two (non-Greenwise) stores next to each other (or at least less than 5 minutes away from one another) lol. It happens when they buy out other grocery stores: Albertsons, Safeway, etc. A while back someone posted an article about Walmart closing certain locations because they were "self-cannibalizing" their own competition due to close proximity, but Publix does the opposite. Kinda bizarre, but that's Publix for ya.

Almost too many to count, but these are a few local examples off the top of my head:

Altamonte - two stores across the street from each other (Palm Springs Crossing & Palm Springs Center)

Dr Phillips area - two stores across the street from each other (Plaza Venezia & Marketplace at Dr. Phillips)

Longwood/Altamonte - two stores minutes away from each other around the bend (Jamestown & Springs Plaza)

Winter Park - two stores down the street from each other (WP Village & Hollieanna)

You'll see a few examples in South FL (Miami Beach), along the coasts (St Pete & Oakland Park) etc. Just look at their location map.:dontknow:1580656362_Publix(2).thumb.jpg.c64b07864d62d70bec33910c4b2ff80f.jpg

Also, in Gainesville, they have 2 stores in the same shopping center (Butler Plaza). One of them was an Albertsons, which after converting it, they planned to close the other one, but my understanding is they opened it, and they had enough business at both so they decided to cancel plans to close one.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 1:34 PM, aent said:

Also, in Gainesville, they have 2 stores in the same shopping center (Butler Plaza). One of them was an Albertsons, which after converting it, they planned to close the other one, but my understanding is they opened it, and they had enough business at both so they decided to cancel plans to close one.

Same thing with the Dr. Phillips Marketplace store.  Remember that too was rumored to be a Greenwise and opened as a regular Publix.  And business is good enough to keep both open.  I would have been interested to see what would have happened if Winn Dixie kept the Goodings Flagship open.  But of course Dr. Phillips people were too hoity toity for Winn Dixie and they moved the LBV to compete head to head with the Goodings down there.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More ammo to it being a regular Publix: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-luckys-stores-publix-aldi-20210128-4eevm7ukbfgf7lnrwq6axjjkvq-story.html

Crazy there will be two right next to each other. I know they do them close sometimes, but that's CLOSE. I guess they think the traffic supports it, or will support it. 

42 minutes ago, bqknight said:

More ammo to it being a regular Publix: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-luckys-stores-publix-aldi-20210128-4eevm7ukbfgf7lnrwq6axjjkvq-story.html

Crazy there will be two right next to each other. I know they do them close sometimes, but that's CLOSE. I guess they think the traffic supports it, or will support it. 

This seems like such an odd move, but as other have pointed out Pubix has done this before.

I believe they are going to let Greenwise stores die on the vine.

A Greenwise market recently opened up in Odessa/Land o Lakes though :tw_pensive:

But if even South Florida only has one, then it certainly shows this trend. Maybe more specialty items?

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

This seems like such an odd move, but as other have pointed out Pubix has done this before.

I believe they are going to let Greenwise stores die on the vine.