Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

I like the idea, but its confusing. If I get this right, the sequence is:

1. Pedestrian hits signal activator button
  2. Yellow goes on for vehicles
  3. Red goes on for vehicles
  4. Flashing and alternating red goes on (yield to pedestrians)

The concept is sound, but step 4 introduces a new signal type, which can be confusing. It'd be better if they just had a blinking red or yellow to indicate a stop sign or yield, like what occurs when signal power goes out or at some intersections during off-peak ours. Also, adding a green light would make this more consistent with other traffic signals.

TL;DR: Using a normal signal with a flashing red phase would be simpler and work just as well.

Edited by WAJAS
grammar
  • Like 2

Just a random observation:

The DuraTherm (embedded thermoplastic)  pedestrian crosswalks have held up pretty nicely in SoDo. I've recommended the city install them at a high traffic intersection in the CBD, and waiting to hear back if they think it's a good idea.

20210516_170833.thumb.jpg.2d9f6ef5df8ffbd77a264a71c013464b.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

I hate these with a passion. They look like railroad crossings but operate very differently. Quite frankly it’s dangerous that double flashing red lights can mean two very different things.

I hate them so much too for the very same reason you do.  I personally prefer the RRFB's in narrow areas and traditional traffic ped signals like those on I-drive for larger roads.  As @spenser1058 has pointed out, 4 way stops seem to do a better job in slow traffic areas.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

No one stops at 'em on OBT or Hillsborough. If you do, brace yourself and watch your mirror for rear end collision.

not only that, on OBT [which I drive to-from work], most  pedestrians jaywalk literally 5 feet away from these walkways..... lol3

Hello, I'm new to commenting on this site but this seems like the place to comment about Sodo House. Townhouses will be built on  West Michigan at the corner of Lake Holden Terrace. (I apologize if this has already been discussed but there's a lot to wade through on this thread.)

Lake Holden Terrace is the one that you can use to avoid the corner of Orange and Michigan and end up on Pineloch. I've noticed 2 houses for sale on this street now that the signs for Sodo House are up. I guess this would be a great time to get out of that neighborhood before construction starts.   It can be a tricky drive through there depending on traffic and can only imagine it's going to get trickier. I can't imagine this will be very good for the lake either.                    

Between Sodo house and Sodo House on the lake there will be 48 units. It's hard to picture how that will fit in that space. 

Thoughts? Comments?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, angela1117 said:

Hello, I'm new to commenting on this site but this seems like the place to comment about Sodo House. Townhouses will be built on  West Michigan at the corner of Lake Holden Terrace. (I apologize if this has already been discussed but there's a lot to wade through on this thread.)

Lake Holden Terrace is the one that you can use to avoid the corner of Orange and Michigan and end up on Pineloch. I've noticed 2 houses for sale on this street now that the signs for Sodo House are up. I guess this would be a great time to get out of that neighborhood before construction starts.   It can be a tricky drive through there depending on traffic and can only imagine it's going to get trickier. I can't imagine this will be very good for the lake either.                    

Between Sodo house and Sodo House on the lake there will be 48 units. It's hard to picture how that will fit in that space. 

Thoughts? Comments?

Welcome to the Forum!

It looks like the developer isn't very clear about the two separate projects. 

By my count, the 'by the lake' development has 25 units, with access off of Michigan.  The remainder of the units are north of the SODO plaza. 

sodobylake.thumb.PNG.65789f1bff00c42c7cf8fb3b04df5992.PNG

With the state of the residential real estate market right now, I am sure those For Sale signs will be gone in a month. 

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/sodo-house-by-the-lake

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, codypet said:

So the Ecco apartment complex is now called Courtland on Orange.  So now Lucky's Plaza, now Ecco Plaza has yet another name after something the doesn't exist.

I thought it had been called Lucky's Corner before Lucky's luck ran out and they weren't so lucky anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh that must of just happened because I got my haircut on Tuesday and that wasn't like that.  The sign at the street has said Publix coming soon for months as did the actual Plaza Ecco Sign, yet I still know people who are stubbornly insisting that there's no way Publix would put another Publix across the street and it would have to be a Greenwise.

• Like 3

I still don’t get it.  I can’t see myself going to the new one for the same reason that I prefer the larger one against any smaller ones in Conway or Mills…I know they are going to carry everything on my list and be most likely to have it in stock.  And with the in/out situation in that new plaza, I think the original publix is still more convenient if coming from the south.   

It’s a great amenity for those apartments though.   Used to love walking to Publix when I lived on Central 

13 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I still don’t get it.  I can’t see myself going to the new one for the same reason that I prefer the larger one against any smaller ones in Conway or Mills…I know they are going to carry everything on my list and be most likely to have it in stock.  And with the in/out situation in that new plaza, I think the original publix is still more convenient if coming from the south.   

It’s a great amenity for those apartments though.   Used to love walking to Publix when I lived on Central 

As I understand it, Publix often relies on site selection based on a traffic pattern model rather than a broad geographic model.

Publix also uses the concept to keep out competition (which has worked well for them in Florida- they own the state’s market share and we pay through the nose for it relative to more competitive Publix states).

I’m interested you prefer the bigger stores to the market Publii. I’m the opposite. The Southside store just confuses me.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

You can always try Kroger delivery, which has definitely be flooding the market with advertising. Bus wraps, hulu/youtube ads, stands at Lake Eola, the works! 

37 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I just read that somewhere (in the UCF vicinity I think) Publix is doing another tear-down-rebuild, like they did with their Lake Margaret/S. Semoran  store a couple of years ago. 

Maybe Dean Road or somewhere around there. 

Suncrest Village, I think, on University Blvd. I’ll miss the latest mid-80’s format store to bite the dust but @jgardnerucf suggests it’s much ado about nothing. And so it goes.

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

And with the in/out situation in that new plaza, I think the original publix is still more convenient if coming from the south.   

Ugh, that traffic! I'm too chicken to turn east (left) on Pineloch from original Publix  anymore to go Summerlin Ave. I use the post office area to get out of there now. Some people are using that turn lane as a traffic lane.

The Ecco/Cortland parking lot can be crazy if the starbucks line is long. 

On 6/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, codypet said:

there's no way Publix would put another Publix across the street

Altamonte Springs, 436 @ Palm Springs. Publix took over the Albertson's/Safeway which is catty corner across the intersection from another Publix.  It was really great when it first opened and no one knew it was there. Easy parking and no crowds. (I used to have a job that entailed a lot of driving around so I know all the Seminole County Publix well LOL)

Edited by angela1117
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Ugh, that traffic! I'm too chicken to turn east (left) on Pineloch from original Publix  anymore to go Summerlin Ave. I use the post office area to get out of there now. Some people are using that turn lane as a traffic lane.

Altamonte Springs, 436 @ Palm Springs. Publix took over the Albertson's/Safeway which is catty corner across the intersection from another Publix.  It was really great when it first opened and no one knew it was there. Easy parking and no crowds. (I used to have a job that entailed a lot of driving around so I know all the Seminole County Publix well LOL)

When the Eola Publix first opened there were a lot more of the associates than customers and we were scared to death it wouldn’t make it the first year because so many people told us a grocery store wouldn’t make it downtown.

Almost 13 years later and now even Sundays are jam-packed. I guess, for Publix, if they build it, we will come (imagines Kevin Costner on a Publix Thanksgiving commercial…)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, angela1117 said:

Oh I know.  I can name like 5 examples in this city of that occurring, my neighbors however think I'm making it up.

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Suncrest Village, I think, on University Blvd. I’ll miss the latest mid-80’s format store to bite the dust but @jgardnerucf suggests it’s much ado about nothing. And so it goes.

University and McCulloch is still an 80's format store though right?

On 6/14/2021 at 8:53 AM, spenser1058 said:

Publix also uses the concept to keep out competition (which has worked well for them in Florida- they own the state’s market share and we pay through the nose for it relative to more competitive Publix states).

I’ve read this many times too but it doesn’t make sense to me unless it’s still a good business model to have the 2nd store for them if this was the only reason.   Otherwise, just sublease it out to a gym or something.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I’ve read this many times too but it doesn’t make sense to me unless it’s still a good business model to have the 2nd store for them if this was the only reason.   Otherwise, just sublease it out to a gym or something.

Weis Markets up north actually lost a lawsuit over doing this in Hershey Pa.  They opened a new store in the 90's in a Kmart plaza across the street from their old 60's style store.   They franchise operated a Save-a-lot in the old location to keep a new grocery from coming in.  The landlord referred to the location as a "sham" grocery store as the remaining tenants were losing the anchor as a draw and he was losing money as a result.   The Dr. Phillips Marketplace is rumored to have a similar conversation with Publix when Publix tried to renew the old Albertson's lease.  Supposedly that's what prompted them to open the Marketplace location across from Plaza Venezia.

• Thanks 1