Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

• 3 weeks later...

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I wonder if the top floor people get the view...

6e7c6d08938d50b79ae49c9e796d74dd-cc_ft_5

These units don't even have balconies which is a little strange... Too bad they didn't incorporate a roof deck for each unit. That would've been a nice compromise and provide the opportunity for an outdoor dining/seating area. IMO any kind of outdoor space is important especially when living in multifamily properties.

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

These units don't even have balconies which is a little strange... Too bad they didn't incorporate a roof deck for each unit. That would've been a nice compromise and provide the opportunity for an outdoor dining/seating area. IMO any kind of outdoor space is important especially when living in multifamily properties.

I see an enclosed outdoor utility ladder running up the back side of the building.

Maybe if one took a notion, one could drag a couple of folding chaise lounges, a small umbrella table, a cooler of beer and some food up to the roof and just kick back.

Sounds like a party to me.

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, angela1117 said:

So this is totally going to make me sound like the old lady that I am but for $400K+ I'd really like some outdoor space.  And I'm not flexible enough for climbing the ladder and bringing some chairs. Plus the vertigo wouldn't go well with that. :tw_sweat_smile:

Driving along Pineloch tonight at Summerlin there's an electronic sign that says roadwork is coming this week. What fresh hell is this?

Maybe I'm an old soul, but I don't think one should have to climb a maintenance ladder to gain access to outdoor space at that price. Even if one took JFW's suggestion seriously, you'd still have to contend with sitting next to AC units right in the middle of the roof and the parapet facing downtown looks like it cuts off the city view anyway. The developer should have incorporated unfinished private rooftop access for each unit, but give each buyer the option to build them out with decking, summer kitchens, jacuzzis, etc. or if the buyer was tight on money they could look into doing it themselves in the future.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Maybe I'm an old soul, but I don't think one should have to climb a maintenance ladder to gain access to outdoor space at that price. Even if one took JFW's suggestion seriously, you'd still have to contend with sitting next to AC units right in the middle of the roof and the parapet facing downtown looks like it cuts off the city view anyway. The developer should have incorporated unfinished private rooftop access for each unit, but give each buyer the option to build them out with decking, summer kitchens, jacuzzis, etc. or if the buyer was tight on money they could look into doing it themselves in the future.

A particularly valid point you make is all the things not included in houses in entry-level neighborhoods in the 1950’s that simply MUST be included now, pricing most folks out.

A place like Pine Hills was considered upwardly mobile in the ‘50’s (it even included membership in a golf club).

However, things like a/c, appliances other than a refrigerator/stove and most landscaping were not included with the idea you could buy them  later to keep them out of the mortgage. By the same token, things like sidewalks and burying utility lines were items that neighborhoods could do later as the fortunes of the area improved.

Houses in places like Levittown were quite small initially with the idea folks would add on as their incomes grew.

One irony of America today is that houses keep getting bigger even as the average family size keeps shrinking. Much of today’s housing shortage is self-inflicted by unrealistic expectations, antiquated zoning restrictions and Wall St-owned mega developers maximizing profits.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

A particularly valid point you make is all the things not included in houses in entry-level neighborhoods in the 1950’s that simply MUST be included now, pricing most folks out.

A place like Pine Hills was considered upwardly mobile in the ‘50’s (it even included membership in a golf club).

However, things like a/c, appliances other than a refrigerator/stove and most landscaping were not included with the idea you could buy them  later to keep them out of the mortgage. By the same token, things like sidewalks and burying utility lines were items that neighborhoods could do later as the fortunes of the area improved.

Houses in places like Levittown were quite small initially with the idea folks would add on as their incomes grew.

One irony of America today is that houses keep getting bigger even as the average family size keeps shrinking. Much of today’s housing shortage is self-inflicted by unrealistic expectations, antiquated zoning restrictions and Wall St-owned mega developers maximizing profits.

One of the biggest things that irks me with our downtown neighborhoods are the inconsistent sidewalks in some areas: sidewalks that terminate mid-block, sidewalks on one side of the street that suddenly alternate to the opposite side, sidewalks that lead to nowhere, and some blocks have no sidewalks at all. Horrible planning, ugh!!

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

One of the biggest things that irks me with our downtown neighborhoods are the inconsistent sidewalks in some areas: sidewalks that terminate mid-block, sidewalks on one side of the street that suddenly alternate to the opposite side, sidewalks that lead to nowhere, and some blocks have no sidewalks at all. Horrible planning, ugh!!

I remember when they rebuilt Lake Como School and they added sidewalks to a lot of the houses that didn't have sidewalks because they pre-dated the mandate for sidewalks and the houses weren't updated enough to require sidewalks.  Everyone felt like they lost half their yards.  People still talk about it today.

11 minutes ago, codypet said:

I remember when they rebuilt Lake Como School and they added sidewalks to a lot of the houses that didn't have sidewalks because they pre-dated the mandate for sidewalks and the houses weren't updated enough to require sidewalks.  Everyone felt like they lost half their yards.  People still talk about it today.

The Sidewalk Wars in Audubon Park were my favorite. The navy retirees were ready to go nuclear over building sidewalks for the kids. It got so bad, Commissioner Patty had the neighborhood deleted from her district at the next census. 

• Sad 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, angela1117 said:

Driving along Pineloch tonight at Summerlin there's an electronic sign that says roadwork is coming this week. What fresh hell is this?

Can you be more specific?  Pineloch and Summerlon don’t intersect.  

On 7/10/2021 at 6:10 PM, nite owℓ said:

Redevelopment? When you build a new house or renovate, you have an option to pay into the sidewalk fund or build one on your property (assuming you don't have one). There are a lot of random sidewalks in Delaney and Wadeview. 

27 minutes ago, jack said:

Redevelopment? When you build a new house or renovate, you have an option to pay into the sidewalk fund or build one on your property (assuming you don't have one). There are a lot of random sidewalks in Delaney and Wadeview. 

The point being, I assume, that it’s broken.

Can the city not expect at least a unified sidewalk network that doesn’t hinge on “buying in?”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

Yeah I understand that is the case, but sidewalks should never have been optional IMO. I also heard back in the day owners were given the option to pay extra to NOT install sidewalks which gave people the impression that they own the ROW and leads to pushback when the City finally tries to connect the half-assed sidewalk network.

Incomplete sidewalks drag down the look of the neighborhood and I swear I hear a banjo playing every time I see a sidewalk that leads to nowhere, terminating mid-block.  If these were large estate homes then maybe I can understand people not wanting sidewalks for snobby aesthetic reasons & "security" purposes, but in middle class neighborhoods with several public parks and schools nearby and lot sizes average 50x150 there is no excuse to forgo sidewalks. I have a cheap rental in that area... Delaney Park, Lake Davis/Cherokee are very active areas and it sucks to see the Boone track team, residents and disabled people get forced into the street because the sidewalk network is still incomplete in 2021. Cars parked on the street create blind spots which could lead to collisions with pedestrians forced to walk in the street where sidewalks terminate (I've almost been hit and have nearly run someone over as well). There have been minor sidewalk additions over the years, but it's still not enough!  /rant

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Yeah I understand that is the case, but sidewalks should never have been optional IMO. I also heard back in the day owners were given the option to pay extra to NOT install sidewalks which gave people the impression that they own the ROW and leads to pushback when the City finally tries to connect the half-assed sidewalk network.

Incomplete sidewalks drag down the look of the neighborhood and I swear I hear a banjo playing every time I see a sidewalk that leads to nowhere, terminating mid-block.  If these were large estate homes then maybe I can understand people not wanting sidewalks for snobby aesthetic reasons & "security" purposes, but in middle class neighborhoods with several public parks and schools nearby and lot sizes average 50x150 there is no excuse to forgo sidewalks. I have a cheap rental in that area... Delaney Park, Lake Davis/Cherokee are very active areas and it sucks to see the Boone track team, residents and disabled people get forced into the street because the sidewalk network is still incomplete in 2021. Cars parked on the street create blind spots which could lead to collisions with pedestrians forced to walk in the street where sidewalks terminate (I've almost been hit and have nearly run someone over as well). There have been minor sidewalk additions over the years, but it's still not enough!  /rant

My street is brick with tons of pot holes and one on side of the street sidewalks exist about 30% of the block and the other side it's 10%, all on homes that have been built in the last decade. I've seen people in a wheelchair struggle to get down the street and when I have contacted the city they have said it's in their long term plan but not financially feasible at the moment due to the whole street needing to be redone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...