Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

44 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

As one of those morons... where should I cross that block exactly?  Being that the block is over a quarter of a mile.

I would say NOT where the 2 Pineloch entrance/ exits for the 2 shopping centers are facing each other. Traffic goes 12 directions at that spot. I understand you may not want to walk to a crosswalk, but crossing mid block- where the traffic is less intense- would be safer for everyone.

Btw, rumor is the new store has sip and stroll. $5 brews.

Edited by AmIReal

My husband and I went to the new Publix today....after all, I had that $5 coupon they sent us burning a hole in my pocket. I've never been to opening day at a grocery store before. We went after lunch. We thought it was going to be packed inside because the parking lot was full. It was crowded but it was all Publix executives. Every time we went down a new aisle there were at least 2 or 3 asking how we were. It felt sort of creepy.

It seems like there's more grab and go options and some nice looking salads. We didn't see anyone sipping and strolling but that was on the floor plan, yes?

The aisles seem pretty narrow but otherwise a nice new place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

My husband and I went to the new Publix today....after all, I had that $5 coupon they sent us burning a hole in my pocket. I've never been to opening day at a grocery store before. We went after lunch. We thought it was going to be packed inside because the parking lot was full. It was crowded but it was all Publix executives. Every time we went down a new aisle there were at least 2 or 3 asking how we were. It felt sort of creepy.

It seems like there's more grab and go options and some nice looking salads. We didn't see anyone sipping and strolling but that was on the floor plan, yes?

The aisles seem pretty narrow but otherwise a nice new place. 

I was at the door at 7am when the Eola Publix opened in 2008 and, you’re right, there were more suits from Publix than there were customers.

Your mention of the narrow aisles reminded me of a Publix commercial in the ‘60’s where they drove an MG around to show just how wide they supposedly were…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

I guess I got so used to shopping at the ‘60’s vintage Publix in College Park (the current one replaced it; the bakery was in a separate space next door) that larger Publii with all the bells and whistles overwhelm me. My first trip to the Southside Publix totally confused me.

Eola’s a tad bigger than Shine or CP (mostly because when Paul Bracker worked on the store design, he figured they’d need a bigger pharmacy because of all the retirement towers in South Eola)  and I still moan and groan about stuff they don’t have (the Riverside store in Jax is similar), but it just feels homier.

It’s probably a good thing that if Wegman’s ever came to Florida, their size would pretty much dictate going to the ‘burbs. I love the idea of Wegman’s but the size of the stores is a bit much.

1 hour ago, Gtothree2748 said:

Although not a greenwise branded store, it’s a small convienent based concept with more health conscious/organic options and grab and go items than you would find at a standard Publix. Not to mention the wine and beer on tap. Definitely an attempt to attract the same demographic as Luckys. However they did a much better job than luckys did with use of space. It feels a lot bigger, better flow and they managed to fit a pharmacy.  

A2DADB74-4111-4EE3-85B9-192A0F6F6710.jpeg

Looks very reminiscent of the Publix at Winter Park Village.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gtothree2748 said:

Although not a greenwise branded store, it’s a small convienent based concept with more health conscious/organic options and grab and go items than you would find at a standard Publix. Not to mention the wine and beer on tap. Definitely an attempt to attract the same demographic as Luckys. However they did a much better job than luckys did with use of space. It feels a lot bigger, better flow and they managed to fit a pharmacy.  

0E6FC805-364A-420F-A57F-3185F6F4B5BF.jpeg

A2DADB74-4111-4EE3-85B9-192A0F6F6710.jpeg

1C8AD432-F73C-4A1A-92E0-A02C881C02CE.jpeg

A9865097-4C28-4EE5-9B60-519C80C5F278.jpeg

4806E98F-8121-430F-9982-45B6A59822F5.jpeg

C6FA88E3-DE23-4661-ABC0-B5E5CD6826A9.jpeg

oh wow! I can't wait to go break it in!  I didn't realize it had opened.

They are doing the same thing to the Ormond Beach Lucky's at SR 40 & Riverside/Halifax.  That was a good Lucky's.  The Publix there should be pretty nice. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I love the idea of Wegman’s but the size of the stores is a bit much.

I agree. Have been to one in NJ and felt almost paralyzed trying to decide what to look at next.

Thank you Gtothree2748 for all those great photos. Looks way better without all the executives standing around. :tw_joy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

oh wow! I can't wait to go break it in!  I didn't realize it had opened.

They are doing the same thing to the Ormond Beach Lucky's at SR 40 & Riverside/Halifax.  That was a good Lucky's.  The Publix there should be pretty nice. 

When you have a Lucky's as your canvas seems like you can do a lot.  Look at the Lake Mary Winn Dixie which was a Lucky's that never actually opened.  I think it was days away when the chain folded.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jrs2 said:

definitely the coolest WD I think I've ever seen

Sooo Bi-lo in NC which was the company that bought WD actually had this inside as their standard design.  I was hoping the brought that look to WD down here, and its seems like they did for all their new locations.  All the updated ones got like a 2/3's update.

Does anyone know when Phase II of the SODO streetscape project will begin? I feel like the project should have commenced by now... I believe the 2nd half was supposed to cover Grant St up to the 408 on S Orange Ave (sidewalk upgrades, landscaped parking bump-outs, install DuraTherm murals at crosswalks etc.).

23 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Does anyone know when Phase II of the SODO streetscape project will begin? I feel like the project should have commenced by now... I believe the 2nd half was supposed to cover Grant St up to the 408 on S Orange Ave (sidewalk upgrades, landscaped parking bump-outs, install DuraTherm murals at crosswalks etc.).

On this O-Line presentation, pg 3, it says 2021-22.

https://www.orlando.gov/files/sharedassets/public/departments/edv/sodo-nid/o-line_sodo-board-mtg-sme.pdf

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Per FDOTs site, it is still in design.  You can submit a question through this link pretty easily if you’d like to ask for more info on timeline.  

https://www.cflroads.com/project/441145-1

• Thanks 2

I remember the project was supposed to start shortly after Phase I (in the spring according to the link) so I'm not sure what is taking so long. The new streetscape improvements in SODO (however minimal) have really improved the aesthetics of the neighborhood. The contrast of Grant-Gore really highlights the neglect of basic upgrades the city should've made over the years. When you go to other cities, these basic "upgrades" are pretty standard and helps define the placemaking of a neighborhood.

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

I remember the project was supposed to start shortly after Phase I (in the spring according to the link) so I'm not sure what is taking so long. The new streetscape improvements in SODO (however minimal) have really improved the aesthetics of the neighborhood. The contrast of Grant-Gore really highlights the neglect of basic upgrades the city should've made over the years. When you go to other cities, these basic "upgrades" are pretty standard and helps define the placemaking of a neighborhood.

I can’t say for sure but I know FDOT froze up for a minute there last year when it looked like gas tax revenue was going to tank due to the pandemic.   Things ended up not being so bad but that could have played a role.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love what is happening down at Fort Gatlin, but its just depresses me.  This is what SoDo/Michigan plaza needs to be.  We have no "destination" in this neighborhood, and we've basically forfeited it to Gatlin and Hourglass.  Both of which are slightly too far to walk to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I love what is happening down at Fort Gatlin, but its just depresses me.  This is what SoDo/Michigan plaza needs to be.  We have no "destination" in this neighborhood, and we've basically forfeited it to Gatlin and Hourglass.  Both of which are slightly too far to walk to.

True enough but at least y’all have some retail (plus Long John’s!)

7 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Id love to see Southside torn down and rebuilt.  I’m also happy that there are some new options on this side of downtown.   

But, Let’s make no mistake - Fort Gatlin shopping center is no more of a destination than Market at Southside.  They just have a brewery parked next to a restaurant.