Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2021 at 10:02 AM, spenser1058 said:

SoDo has a new Main Street ED coming in November:

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/06/sodo-main-street-has-hired-a-new-director/

From Bungalower 

@AndyPok1, you may be thrilled to hear this is the second person to take the job after working for Bungalower…

Congrats to the Lynette - was there a pretty long time (a lot of revolving doors in main street) and the district seemed to roll out a good number of initiatives and attract higher profile board members during her tenure.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Evette Rahman, owner of Sister Honey’s bakery on Michigan St., has won the World Food Championship  for desserts in Dallas for the third time in a row. Congratulations!

Slowly but surely, Orlando’s on its way to being a foodie destination.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5873-orlando-baker-wins-national-competition-for-3d-time

From Scott J

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Few random updates from the hood...

• Delaney Ave near Gore is going to be closed starting 1/3; I'm assuming more of the sewer(?) work they did earlier this year near Briercliff
  • YouFit in the Publix plaza was closed for 3 days for "remodeling"... They painted the walls white and gray instead of purple and green.

• I tried Crave finally.  Give the BBQ plate and sides a pretty resounding... meh
    • My personal tastes aside.... I was there for about 45 minutes on Sunday afternoon, and literally not a single other person came in or out.
  • Gou-oui next door on the hand made a delicious cookie.  But their door is only from the back parking lot and not from the street.
  • All-in-all, a great re-use of an old insurance office/realtor building into something more public... but I can't see how Crave makes it.

• On the other hand, Clean Eatz which replaced Habit... I have not yet tried. 
    • But when walking past to go to Crave, I saw 2 people leaving with their meal preps for the week, so that business model seems to be working.
  • But that plaza which is all but new... is now all but empty as MattressOne left a few months ago, and I just noticed Verizon looked empty too.

• I did my yearly trip to Gators.... it's still mediocre to bad.  But popular so :shrug:
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, AndyPok1 said:

Few random updates from the hood...

• I did my yearly trip to Gators.... it's still mediocre to bad.  But popular so :shrug:

I wonder how they've lasted as long as they have. We haven't been in years....since the time we saw one of their employees peeing on the dumpster as we were walking back to the parking garage. :tw_confounded:

• 2 weeks later...

Pizza coming to the SoDo Tin and Taco:

https://bungalower.com/2022/01/02/detroit-style-pizza-kitchen-opening-on-michigan-street/

From Bungalower 

It will offer both Detroit and Chicago style although it mentions “Chicago thin crust”. I thought Chicago was all about deep dish.

Would one of y’all from Chicagoland please educate this poor lost Southerner?

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Pizza coming to the SoDo Tin and Taco:

https://bungalower.com/2022/01/02/detroit-style-pizza-kitchen-opening-on-michigan-street/

From Bungalower 

It will offer both Detroit and Chicago style although it mentions “Chicago thin crust”. I thought Chicago was all about deep dish.

Would one of y’all from Chicagoland please educate this poor lost Southerner?

I'm originally from that area of the Midwest and I had to look it up too:

It features cracker-thin crust that's usually square-cut and often loaded with fennel-heavy sausage. Unlike New York-style pizza, Chicago's thin crust is crispy and cannot be folded. This is because dough is rolled, not tossed, and cooked much longer to ensure that crunch.

I was always all about the Deep Dish!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...