Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

25 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Just got an e-mail that the Zoe's on Michigan is closing

Shocked it lasted that long, thought it was closed for years. I almost never see anyone there, when everything else in that plaza/area is usually bustling. 

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

Shocked it lasted that long, thought it was closed for years. I almost never see anyone there, when everything else in that plaza/area is usually bustling. 

Yeh I think pandemic hit them hard.  They were often super busy at lunch and did a ton of catering, but that market hasn't rebounded as much.

A-ok with that.  We’ve got Med Blue across the street.  Hopefully something great comes in.  The way i see it Noodles built Fresh Kitchen a building and Freddys built us a 4rivers.

I saw blue fencing in that area today and was wondering what was happening 

9 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

A-ok with that.  We’ve got Med Blue across the street.  Hopefully something great comes in.  The way i see it Noodles built Fresh Kitchen a building and Freddys built us a 4rivers.

That fencing and the containers might be for Walmart. They're doing a lot of work inside. 

I was assuming it was for the bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I guess I'm just a bitter person.  I really enjoyed Noodles (and now Zoes).  I think 4 rivers is okay bbq at best.  And Fresh Kitchen is DELICIOUS... but I refuse to go there more than like once a year because they don't publish nutritional data and I'm pretty confident if it tastes as good as it does, it can't be good for you.

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Well i jinxed that.  They are closing this week

I had heard this rumored and think I know what is going in. If so, I'll be happy, but nonetheless will mis MedBlu. I'll see if I can confirm the new tenant next weekend.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:58 AM, AndyPok1 said:

CAVA is going in there. I did like Zoe, but I think CAVA is a big upgrade.

https://cava.com/menu

On 5/30/2022 at 12:10 PM, Jernigan said:

1737 S Orange: Crave BBQ out, Sage Dental in 

That was quick... I never made it there. I guess not many other people did either.

32 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Is that the tenant you alluded to last week or is there another plan for MedBlue?

No, that is not the one I was talking about. I asked the local restaurant owner- who had said he will soon be in this general area (he will not specify where)- if he was taking Med Blue and he said no. So, I was wrong- I have no idea what is planned for the space. 

On 5/31/2022 at 2:30 PM, AmIReal said:

CAVA is going in there. I did like Zoe, but I think CAVA is a big upgrade.

https://cava.com/menu

That was quick... I never made it there. I guess not many other people did either.

Finally coming to Orlando and Florida! I went to one in Raleigh and Dallas and liked their healthier and middle eastern-inspired options! They have bought out Zoe's Kitchen so it is a matter of time before they expand into the market here. Definitely a big upgrade.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 7:52 PM, AmIReal said:

No, that is not the one I was talking about. I asked the local restaurant owner- who had said he will soon be in this general area (he will not specify where)- if he was taking Med Blue and he said no. So, I was wrong- I have no idea what is planned for the space. 

I don't understand why some businesses are so tight-lipped about opening a location. Why not allow word of mouth to build up the anticipation prior to opening instead of waiting until they open the doors to try to get the word out? If the first 1-2 years of opening a business are the hardest, I would think a business would try to get a head start.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:58 AM, AndyPok1 said:

The last time I walked into a Zoe's they told me they weren't accepting walk-in orders.  I was like "What? Like you can't come inside your restaurant and order?" and she said "Yeah." So I asked what my options were and she said to go online and place an order to-go or order a pickup from a service.  They were too busy to handle live customers. 

I wasn't even staying , I was taking it to-go and she said "Sorry" and disappeared.  Oh well.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

The last time I walked into a Zoe's they told me they weren't accepting walk-in orders.  I was like "What? Like you can't come inside your restaurant and order?" and she said "Yeah." So I asked what my options were and she said to go online and place an order to-go or order a pickup from a service.  They were too busy to handle live customers. 

I wasn't even staying , I was taking it to-go and she said "Sorry" and disappeared.  Oh well.

A few places went to that model after COVID and once things started reopening, said they didn't have the staff to do both. Jimmy Johns downtown was like that for a good while, don't know if it still is. 

Since most people have smartphones with internet capability and most of these restaurants have (or should have) free wi-fi, one ought to be able to place an online order while standing right at their front counter. 

For those rare oddballs like myself who don't own a cellphone, they should offer the courtesy of a small tablet computer at the counter with their website set as the default homepage, so we poor unfortunate types without phones can place an online order.

Unless they're such jerks they insist on your order being placed from elsewhere just to make it as difficult as possible because they place such a high value upon themselves and their overpriced food they think you should have to work for the privilege of eating it.

In which case, to hell with 'em.  

I don't eat at any of these young whippersnapper places anyway, gol-dang it.  :angry:  

9 hours ago, codypet said:

Chik Fil a makes it incredibly difficult nowadays to order and eat inside.  They pretty much redesigned all their locations to be car-centric.  The double drive thru is coming back!

Huh?  I walk over there and walk right in and get my food almost immediately and there's no line.  It's great!

22 hours ago, bqknight said:

A few places went to that model after COVID and once things started reopening, said they didn't have the staff to do both. Jimmy Johns downtown was like that for a good while, don't know if it still is. 

Yup, Taco Bell does this too at short staffed locations post-COVID, although they usually have ordering tablets mounted somewhere.